What was the BEST equipment ever to grace your presence?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I'll go first:

The Highly modifiable Pyle PTA-1000 stereo PA amplifier. The wattage claims are pure bogus!  :lol: It's a light-weight amp capable of doing around 70 watts/channel, NOT 500 or whatever.

1] I like the board layout, clean overall design and enclosure quality
2] Decent power supply (Toroid that won't heat up, but it is small.)
3] High quality Toshiba power transistors
5] Efficient: I unplugged the internal fans and it doesn't break a sweat unless you pound it.

Sound quality: Rich with a touch of warmth. Fantastic bass and treble response. Mids are great for acoustics and vocals. It's a fast amp!

There isn't much cheap about this cheap amp. I love the modular construction. Everything is accessible, unlike with my QSC amplifier.  :o  Makes you wonder!

Mods that can be done:
1. Cooling system
2. Power supply
3. Cap mods on amp boards

(I do this kind of stuff for fun. It's very thought provoking!)

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
Re: What was the BEST equipment ever to grace your presence?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:58 pm »
Combak Reiymo cd player. Just amazing IMHO.  Only box that ever had me lust over my current digital rig.  :icon_surprised:

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:04 pm »
Good thread!

I guess mine would have to be a pair of speakers, as those seem to be the only piece of equipment to boggle my mind.  In this case it was a pair of Vandersteen 5A's set up in a custom room, pretty much built for them.  The room was treated in the proper places, and was wider than it was long. 

Onto the music...ah, yes, the music!  I've never heard bass from a full range speaker like I did from the 5A's.  It was powerful, deep, musical and had great decay.  I am a proponent of using subs with just about any speaker, but I can honestly say these speakers didn't need them.  The midrange was detailed and warm, and the high's were crisp and clean without too much sibilance. 

Since listening to them two and a half years ago they've been my reference speaker, and I have a feeling they'll remain so for quite some time (at least until I hear the new Model 7's or Salk SoundScapes). 

schw06

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:14 pm »
Zu Definition II speakers. They are statement pieces from a great company. Two years later and I still find myself as happy as the day I unwrapped them. This is the first piece of audio equipment I've ever owned that I can honesty say I will NEVER sell.
David

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:15 pm »
 :eyebrows: Tie between-JBL L20T speakers, they just sound good period anywhere I've had them, and
Squeezebox Duet, tied everything together for me. :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:16 pm »
Combak Reiymo cd player. Just amazing IMHO.  Only box that ever had me lust over my current digital rig.  :icon_surprised:

2nd that and:

preamps - Supratek, RWA Isabella, Dodd Audio

Amp - custom 300b pse monos (no name)

Analogue - Sound Smith Strain Gauge

Speaker wise - Vandersteen from Quatro up.
             Howevet,    DIY Single Driver & some OB is what I like presently. 

Cheers
Mariusz

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2010, 09:43 pm »
I shouldn't have called the PTA-1000 amp the **best** thing to ever get connected to my system, but it was certainly one of the biggest surprises of the year. I love things that can be tinkered with and improved upon without costing a fortune. I think the model superseding that is the PTA-1400. It's 4lbs heavier too.

My Klipsch RF-83's are without a doubt the most impressive speakers I have ever used. The VR-2's are extremely close seconds. After that are the modified Realistic Mach II's. I love high sensitivity speakers since they're usable with so many amp models. The VR-2's work best with big amps. Mach II's will work with virtually everything.

starkiller

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:38 am »
Back in the early 80's the system I had was a rega 3 with grace f9e cartridge/Apt Holman Preamp/dual Apt Holman amps bridged with a set of LS35/A's with dual Satterburg subs.  Now THAT was a system!!  :SIGH:  So long ago....

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:59 am »
My remote control! :thumb:  I've lived w/o one for many years.  Having one is just great.

Dan

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:59 am »
JM Labs Grand Utopias in a treated room at the Audio Research Plant in Minneapolis.
Driven by the new hybrid ARC amps, a CD8 and a new preamp they were working on that I can't remember the designation on.  May have been the latest Ref. series.
Just amazing.
Hibuckhobby

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:29 pm »
If you define "grace your presence" as either owning or hearing it in your own system, it is a tie for me:

Vandersteen 5A's
Atma-Sphere MA-1's

I have owned the 5A's for the past four years and listened to them quite a bit at my friend's before buying them from him.  While I have tried and enjoyed many different amps (BAT, McCormack, CI Audio, Dodd, Moscode, Pass) with the 5A's, the Atma-Sphere amps are at the top of the class for my tastes.

George

laserboi

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:11 pm »
I would have to say my friends's Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's.  Absolutely amazing speakers, which also introduced me to the world of "hi-fi."

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:17 pm »
Ellen Cantrell's breasts.

smargo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:40 pm »
my optimus amplifier 1983 (from radio shack)

Sparky14

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:55 pm »
For me, probably my Klipsch Forte II speakers. That was my first real excursion into mid-fi, and they just knocked my socks off.

After that, it was a pair of Martin-Logan Aerius speakers.

But I've heard nothing that compared to my (now ex) Father-In-Laws system with M-L Speakers (I forget the model, but one of the top M-Ls) with a full Krell system. Probably not many people can says they really liked to go out-of-state to spend a few days with the in-laws. :)

flintstone

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:52 pm »
I guess it would be my Apogee speakers, still a thrill after all these years  :thumb: It's also great to know that if I ever decide to sell them, I can have them rebuilt, and get more than they cost new...and even around $1,000 profit after rebuild costs!

Dave

cujobob

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2010, 06:54 am »
Whenever I think BEST, I think of highest value...but based on performance alone, I'd say the Gedlee Abbeys have got to be the best sounding speakers I've ever heard in a normal room.  Not only do they represent a tremendous value, but they're just a great product.

Other than that, I'd say anything that allows a computer to be used as a source.  Not having to switch CDs = amazing

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2010, 11:34 am »
Other than that, I'd say anything that allows a computer to be used as a source.  Not having to switch CDs = amazing

I agree!  It's probably the best thing I've done audio wise.  I get to listen to more music then ever before in one session.  Oh, and the sound is better then spinning Cd's.  Love it!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:14 pm »
The single most impressive item I ever owned was the Bella preamp that I sold to kingdeezie.  Best preamp I ever heard.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:06 pm »
Why is it that I get the feeling there are ALLOT of disgruntled audio enthusiasts out there? This thread, which is supposed to emphasize good equipment is a shrimp compared to the complaints thread.

Do people buy equipment that doesn't match up properly?

OK- What have you purchased that displayed a stunning example of synergy?