Replace Optical With Coaxial

cloudbaseracer

Replace Optical With Coaxial
« on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:15 pm »
Hello Guys,

First of all, I am not sure if this needs to go in The Lab or not.  If so, let me know.

I am looking at getting the new Popbox when it comes out to see how well it does.  I notice that it has a digital out but that is comprised of an Optical connection instead of the Co-Ax that I need/want.  Now, while I realize that there are converters to change the light to electrical signal OUTSIDE the unit, I am wondering what is actually happening inside the unit?  In other words, is there a converter of sorts within the box that can just be removed and replaced with a co-ax jack?  Possibly, it can be upgraded to a better quality jack at the same time?  I just assume that the digital signal comes off of the "board" inside the Popbox in some other format than optical.  Am I foolishly oversimplifying this?

Cheers,

James

Pez

Re: Replace Optical With Coaxial
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:12 am »
In the case of coaxial the digital signal is being transmitted electronically, with toslink the signal is converted to optical using a diode. Toslink inherently has more jitter and is obviously less desirable.

Most things in this hobby can be modified, but the question becomes at some point, why? If you want a converter that's pretty good the Blue Circle Thingee comes in a multitude of options. http://www.bluecircle.com/index.php?menu_id=5002

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:44 am »
Well I am not looking for a DAC as my current amps do this for me so the Thingee is a great idea but not what I need.  I am sure the mod would be expensive but it would be one less conversion I would have to do.

I like the thought of the Popbox and the fact that it does movies as well as audio.  As it is not out yet, there is really no information so it is up in the air for now.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:00 am »
Coax usually sounds better than optical.  But optical does have an advantage - it uses a light signal instead of an electrical one, thereby eliminating electrical noise between the unit and DAC.

Most higher end gear is quiet enough for this not to be an issue.  Other gear attempts to remedy the problem with a wall wart power supply.  My Apple TV has an internal power supply and toslink as the only digital audio out, not including HDMI.  If it had a coax audio out, it would probably sound worse.

The Monarchy Audio DIP will convert optical to coax as well as re-clock, thereby reducing jitter.  The sonic upgrade may be a double benefit if jitter is an issue with your unit.

I'd get the unit and listen to it before thinking about upgrades though.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:22 am »
I NEED coax because my unit does not accept Optical. That is the reason I would look to modify it.  It is not only an issue of sound but of application.  I am aware of the external converters out there but that is one more step I would like to avoid.

My question is....can a device that has an optical out be opened up to remove the optical plug and simply wire a coax jack in it's place? In other words, is the optical plug within the device doing a conversion?  Is the diode that Jason/Pez speaks about part of the plug or is it somewhere else in the hardware of a device? 

I tried a search for just the Toslink plug but only returned the external switchers/conveters.

Cheers,

James