Scotch!!

twitch54

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #300 on: 30 Mar 2009, 08:45 pm »
AFAIC, there's only 1 whiskey and it ain't scotch :thumbdown:, it's canadian whiskey, the best of the best being Seagrams Crown Royal.Cheers,
Robin

Does either VO 'Gold' or CC 'Classic 12' hold a candle to Crown ???

kgturner

« Reply #301 on: 30 Mar 2009, 11:20 pm »
while we're discussing our alcoholic vices, does anybody else enjoy smoking a cigar with your scotch/whisky? i've become quite smitten with a dram of scotch and a nice cigar while sitting in the afternoon sun on my back deck. i'm no aficionado, but so far i really like rocky patel cigars. i lean towards the vintage 1992 for a smooth, not too full bodied smoke. i've also tried the old world reserve and will purchase a sun grown for this weekend. anybody else have a favorite cigar (or other vice) they'd like to admit to?

kevin t

twitch54

« Reply #302 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:18 am »
Kevin,  I love my cigars (been smoking since june'76) I too like Rocky Patel, along with Camacho, Don Papien, Padron, El Ray DelMundo to name but a few. While I gravitate to full bodied smokes recently I have enjoyed the Romeo Julieta Habana Reserve, a Med bodied gem with great lasting flavors for the senses !

Keep in mind that if you love a good cigar you only have till midnight tomorrow to purchase before the SCHIP Federal tax rolls in and increases them by an avg of 40 cents a stick !! Oh well, we gotta save the children !  :scratch:

kgturner

« Reply #303 on: 31 Mar 2009, 06:04 pm »
i picked up a rocky patel sun grown and a padron 1964 anniversary principe today. with about 1/3 of a bottle of laphroaig left, my weekend is set.

kevin t

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #304 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:11 am »
Well this Easter weekend i will be enjoying a 750 of Macallan 12 year old. 49.99 at my favorite liquor store Quarter Wine and Spirits. The clock is ticking as i just got finished steam cleaning about 25 or so lps for the musical end of things. On with the show
Happy Easter to all of you
Mike

mor2bz

wonder what kind of stereo this guy had
« Reply #305 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:29 am »
please read article at least half way through- I'd like to see some responses

http://www.velonews.com/article/90324

kgturner

Re: wonder what kind of stereo this guy had
« Reply #306 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:40 am »
please read article at least half way through- I'd like to see some responses

http://www.velonews.com/article/90324

"At my lowest ebb I was consuming three bottles of scotch and six liters of wine a day..."

that's a shitload of scotch to drink a day. wonder if he was chugging the good stuff or some rot gut junk. no other thoughts.

beachbum - enjoy the mccallan. i called the vieux carre today and they have the lagavulin 16 $30 cheaper than my local liquor store. they didn't have the laphroaig quarter cask but they do have the laphroaig 10 cask strength.

kevin t

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #307 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:15 am »
Keven you are going to enjoy your visit to The Quarter Wine and Spirits Shop. Its not just the Scotch they have it all.
On first taste the Macallan was ok but not a good to me as Glenmorangie. Now that i am getting a good selection here at the house i can enjoy variety yea the spice of life.
Enjoy your visit and have a good one
Mike

GregC

« Reply #308 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:06 am »
I am about to step out back and smoke a Macanudo Gold with a glass of Oban 14. Mmmm mmmm good!  8)

CSJ

« Reply #309 on: 19 Apr 2009, 12:16 am »
My latest tastings...

Signatory/Laphroaig  7 yo bottled in 2000 – 809 bottles
WOW - full peat nicely done, long finish with an oily mouthfeel. A really nice dram. Wish I had more.

Auchentoshan  21 yo
One of the few lowland SMS available, very clean, not to complex, smooth and delicious.

Dalwinnie 15 yo – another lowland SMS
Starts out sweet, honey, citrus and vanilla then finishes with smoke, peat, and malt.

Springbank 15 yo
Very impressive – this is smoky for Springbank but nicely balanced. Classic Springbank.   Now that’s a dram!

Highland Park 12 yo
I’ll say this… just about the best under $50 bottle you can buy.

twitch54

« Reply #310 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:33 am »
I'm currently enjoying a bottle of 18 year old Chevas. smoky delicious to my palate !

EthanH

« Reply #311 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:20 am »
I recently tried some Edradour 10.  It was sweet and rich, but refined; very enjoyable.  And I couldn't believe how smooth it was for a 10 year old.   :o 

I was really quite impressed, and had just finished a dram of Macallan 1841.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a sweet and smooth scotch.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #312 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:33 am »
While "surfing"....came across this site..... :wink:

twitch54

« Reply #313 on: 7 Jul 2009, 04:03 pm »

Ahhhhh, sipping and listening, two nice pleasures in life !

Browntrout

« Reply #314 on: 10 Jul 2009, 07:42 pm »
Hello Tyson, I just returned from my holiday on the isle of Skye and really enjoyed myself. My friend and I did plenty of walking away from the beaten path and swam in a couple of small lochs high up on hills which was very refreshing.
  There were two pubs we went into that had good malts, first was the Sligachan Hotel at the foot of Glamaig one of the Cuillin hills. This hotel has a micro brewery in it making 'Cuillin Brewery' beers named Glamaig, Skye Ale and The Pinnacle all of which rank with some of the nicest ales I have ever drunk. We met the chap who makes them and discussed brewing over a pint which was nice. Unfortunaltely he is not interested in distribution outside of Skye and really just brews for fun rather than having any ideas about mass production and marketing (a very welcome attitude in my book)
  In the Sligachan Hotel we enjoyed a shot each of Caol Isla 25 year old which reallly impressed. I literally was tasting it ten minutes after taking a sip and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We also had 18 year old Macallan but this is not to my taste as far as whisky is concerned though nice all the same. Lastly we had Poit Dubhan (or something sounding like that) this was nice enough but nothing special in my book. The bar had one hundred whiskys all hanging on the bar which was impressive.
  The following day we went across Scotland to Invernessshire and a pub called The Anderson which we had read about in a Camra leaflet. My name is Anderson so it was decided that we had to go. The pub boasts 80 Belgian beers, and 218 Whiskys along with good food and real ales.
  After drinking several Belgian beers on tap and loving some bottles of  Rochefort Trappist 10, 8 and 6 monastic ales we had a very nice dinner then moved into the whisky bar. I had Caol isla 23 year old cask strength which pretty much did me together with another 11.2 percent Trappist 10 to finish the evening.
  Here is a picture of me outside the pub, very touristy photo I know.

Here is a webpage if ever you are over here...
http://www.theanderson.co.uk/
with the menu here.....http://www.theanderson.co.uk/whismenu.htm

Here is the Sligachan Hotel, if you scroll down you can see a picture of the bar with all the whisky bottles....http://www.sligachan.hotel.btinternet.co.uk/bars.htm

P.S I'll post some pictures of the scenery on the Pic OF The Day thread for those interested, cheers, Ben Anderson.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2009, 01:56 pm by Browntrout »

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #315 on: 23 Jul 2009, 11:08 pm »
Wow! A fine post indeed Browntrout.
A friend of mine has indeed talked about a trip over to scotland one of these days.
I'll have to tell him that he should make a point of putting that town on the route!

Imp.

ctviggen

« Reply #316 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:08 pm »
I just bought this 9yo  Ardbeg Gordon & Macphail:

http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Bottles/Ardbeg_EN.shtml#ardbeg1996gm

I think this is excellent, and it was rated over 90 by Michael Jackson. 

twitch54

« Reply #317 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:19 pm »
and it was rated over 90 by Michael Jackson.

I wonder if they used it to embalm him ?  :scratch:

ctviggen

« Reply #318 on: 22 Sep 2009, 07:18 pm »
and it was rated over 90 by Michael Jackson.

I wonder if they used it to embalm him ?  :scratch:

Do you have a point to make?  If you do, kindly restate it, as it's not obvious from what you posted.

I believe that 9yo Ardbeg is one of the best scotches I've had, period, and I've had basically everything other than some $200+ bottles. 

As for current recommendations, the Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye is fantastic.  I'm not sure whether it's better than their 18 YO version, as I didn't have the two at the same time, but it's very good.

Here's a review:

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2007/02/19/rye-tasting-vii-the-sazerac-family-of-ryes/

twitch54

« Reply #319 on: 22 Sep 2009, 07:56 pm »
Do you have a point to make?  If you do, kindly restate it, as it's not obvious from what you posted.

You've got to be kidding ............... do you not recognize "an ounce or two" of levity ?? !!  :duh: