Scotch!!

mgalusha

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #220 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:00 pm »
I picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or today, a 12yo non chill-filtered bottling. Not sure if this is the specific variety Tyson mentioned but I am quite happy with the purchase. Another nice Scotch for those days when nothing else will do.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #221 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:20 pm »
Very nice!  Yep, that's one of the new, outstanding, 12 year old bottlings from the 'Morangie.

twitch54

« Reply #222 on: 5 Aug 2008, 01:51 pm »
Being a Scot (complete with kilt for appropriate occasions) I will add that a small splash, 1-2 teaspoons of water is added to fully release all the flavors of and aromas of the beverage.  At least that is what is claimed by the "expert" that taught a couple of Scotch tasting seminars that I have attended.

The gentleman running the seminar claimed that the addition of the small amount of water (don't drown it) releases additional aromas of the scotch.  Now I can smell a difference before and after the splash is added, but then I can also hear a difference in cables  :).  And since all good Scots want full value for the money spent, I always add the splash to my scotch.

Walt

And for those that are REALLY anal...only 'Spring water' will do !!

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #223 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:12 pm »
This might be sacrilegious as it is a blend but the Chevas Regal 18 year old has me (as Kramer would say)"I'm Loven it Jerry"

CSJ

« Reply #224 on: 1 Dec 2008, 03:26 pm »
Here's one not for the faint of heart, Bruichladdich PC6 (Port Charlotte 6 year old) cask strength. It is massive, intense, complex, and a whopping 61.6%. Outstanding!!!

kgturner

« Reply #225 on: 22 Dec 2008, 03:25 pm »
I just finished off my first ever bottle of Scotch. It was The Balvenie DoubleWood 12. I typically drank it with 2-3 splashes of distilled water. Being the first and only single malt Scotch, I don't feel I can really say much about it. I'm going to try the Macallan 12 (sherry cask) next. Looking back at Tyson's tasting notes, I can agree that I found The Balvenie to lack some smoothness. After the Macallan 12, I'll probably try the Laphroaig 10.

Kevin T

Tyson

« Reply #226 on: 22 Dec 2008, 08:40 pm »
I just bought another bottle of Balvenie DW 12 to see if it still has that bit of splashiness in the flavor profile, still there.  A bit of water is a must to tone it down a bit.

BillB

« Reply #227 on: 22 Dec 2008, 09:13 pm »
I am late to this game...

Macallan 25 for me. A drink after a bad day will fix the foulest of moods.

Seeing as how I am not rich, this sparsely happens.

I used to like 18 to supplement it, but at over $150 a bottle now, it is almost as bad.

I also like Laphroig...which apparently if you spell check will suggest aphrodisiac...hahaa, couldn't be farther from the truth really.

EDS_

« Reply #228 on: 22 Dec 2008, 09:19 pm »
If I ever see Tyson at a show or anyplace for that matter I'm going to kick him in the nuts.

Thanks to him not only do I really like scotch -  but I really like the "peat monsters" and specifically the "big three", Ardbeg, Laphroaig - (quarter cask thank you), and Lagavulin (16 is my fav.). 

It was cheaper when I drank one or two great beers, O'haras, Old Peculiar or whatnot followed up by cheaper fair.  No longer.  :drool: :duh: aa

Tyson

« Reply #229 on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:02 pm »
Thanks, glad to help  :icon_twisted:

If you like Islay's, you have to try Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist - it's a new bottling, it's got the same punch and profile as the 10 year old, but is more viscous compared to the drier 10 y.o profile.  Probably the best Ardbeg I've had outside of the 1977.

EDS_

« Reply #230 on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:24 pm »
Thanks, glad to help  :icon_twisted:

If you like Islay's, you have to try Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist - it's a new bottling, it's got the same punch and profile as the 10 year old, but is more viscous compared to the drier 10 y.o profile.  Probably the best Ardbeg I've had outside of the 1977.

The Big three Islay scotches really do it for me.  It's illogical that flavors/noses reminiscent of or described as iodine, phenol, peat, sea-salt etc. can be so wonderful.

If it's not too much to ask and keeping it to two or three bottles what would you add to the following - and the Ardbeg "Beast" is under consideration.

My paltry stable

Dalmore 12
Dalmore Cigar Malt (second favorite non-Islay)
Highland Park 18 (my favorite non-Isaly)
Craggenmore 12 (not so great IMO)
Glinlivet Nadurra  NCF cask strength

Islay
Laphroaig 1/4cask NCF
Ardbeg 10 NCF (?)
Lagavulin 16 NCF (?)

*And how-come the Ardbeg smells more peaty than the Laphroaig but the Laphroaig tastes more peaty?  Weird.
*Also is it "normal" for a noob-serious-scotch-drinker to like Islays much more than the other regions?  The guy at my fav. liquor store tells me it is fairly unusual.

mgalusha

« Reply #231 on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:25 pm »
A thumbs up for the Springbank 15. I did some work for Tyson and he paid me with a bottle of this. I had some of the 10 yo and while it was good I wouldn't rate it as great. The 15 however is excellent and I see why it's so highly rated. I find letting it air out for 15-20 minutes makes it even better, especially if I hold the glass and let it warm to body temperature. So much more complexity and aroma and it just massages my palate. Very nice.

EDS_

« Reply #232 on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:29 pm »
I just finished off my first ever bottle of Scotch. It was The Balvenie DoubleWood 12. I typically drank it with 2-3 splashes of distilled water. Being the first and only single malt Scotch, I don't feel I can really say much about it. I'm going to try the Macallan 12 (sherry cask) next. Looking back at Tyson's tasting notes, I can agree that I found The Balvenie to lack some smoothness. After the Macallan 12, I'll probably try the Laphroaig 10.

Kevin T

Ask Tyson for better guidance and coming from a Laphroaig lover - I'd try to get a taste of Laphroaig before buying a bottle.  It's mega different than the Balvenie and double-secret different than the Macallan sherry cask - which is supposed to be excellent.

Tyson

« Reply #233 on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:39 pm »
EDS,
I'd say since you like Islay's and the HP so much, some other semi-peated scotches are in order - Clynelish, Caol Ila, Springbank 15, and the latest Ardmore (no age statement, distillery bottling).  All will give you some additional flavors, while maintaining some of the things you like about the Islay's.

Most people grow to appreciate Islay's, but they usually don't start off loving them (or even liking them).  You are unusual, but then again, so was I when I got started, so you're not alone :)

Laphroaig tastes more peaty because it's less dry than the ardbeg 10.  Try the "Beast" and let me know what you think about the laphroaig/ardbeg profiles after that :D

EDS_

« Reply #234 on: 22 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm »
EDS,
I'd say since you like Islay's and the HP so much, some other semi-peated scotches are in order - Clynelish, Caol Ila, Springbank 15, and the latest Ardmore (no age statement, distillery bottling).  All will give you some additional flavors, while maintaining some of the things you like about the Islay's.

Most people grow to appreciate Islay's, but they usually don't start off loving them (or even liking them).  You are unusual, but then again, so was I when I got started, so you're not alone :)

Laphroaig tastes more peaty because it's less dry than the ardbeg 10.  Try the "Beast" and let me know what you think about the laphroaig/ardbeg profiles after that :D

Tyson,

As always thank you. And Happy Holidays!

Sounds like Springbank 15, Ardbeg Beast and one of the others are in order.

mbakes

« Reply #235 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:11 am »

The Big three Islay scotches really do it for me.  It's illogical that flavors/noses reminiscent of or described as iodine, phenol, peat, sea-salt etc. can be so wonderful.

*Also is it "normal" for a noob-serious-scotch-drinker to like Islays much more than the other regions?  The guy at my fav. liquor store tells me it is fairly unusual.

I'm new to this site but not new to following Tyson's scotch recommendations (from another site).  I prefer Islay's as well.  I have some Laphroiag 12, Ardbeg Uegadail, Lagavulin, Bruchladdich, Caol Ila 16 and Talisker (Isle of Skye but still peaty/smokey).  If I'm drinking something like the above than it's Black Maple Hill, Pappy Van Winkle or Van Winkle Reserve B rye.

Tyson

« Reply #236 on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:10 am »
Talisker 10 is quite good, but the 18 and 20 Talisker is stupendous.  Highly recommended if you happen to run across a bottle.

sturgus

« Reply #237 on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:24 am »
I am not a big Scotch drinker but while on vacation in Hilton Head I had a bottle of this and I thought it was great. It was the ASYLA.
Sturgus
http://www.compassboxwhisky.com/home.html

ctviggen

« Reply #238 on: 23 Dec 2008, 11:58 am »
A thumbs up for the Springbank 15. I did some work for Tyson and he paid me with a bottle of this. I had some of the 10 yo and while it was good I wouldn't rate it as great. The 15 however is excellent and I see why it's so highly rated. I find letting it air out for 15-20 minutes makes it even better, especially if I hold the glass and let it warm to body temperature. So much more complexity and aroma and it just massages my palate. Very nice.

Everything Springbank makes is great.  They also have a more heavily peated version of Springbank called Longrow and a new scotch called Hazelburn, which is very good for an 8 year old.  The 1997 Springbank (only found at two places in the US, I believe) is great., especially for a 10 year old. 

I think I'm of the opinion that the 10 year old is better than the 15 year old, which is too mellow.  However, I find I have to order Springbank over the internet, because I can't find it anywhere in CT. 

ctviggen

« Reply #239 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:00 pm »
And I meant to say that I haven't had either in a while and didn't have them together, so it's hard to say.  Plus, I've had three different versions of the 10 yo, and they're all so different that it's hard to classify them versus the 15 yo.