Scotch!!

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #200 on: 26 Mar 2008, 05:27 pm »
So, I've added Springbank to my collection today.

Tasting in a few..  :drool:

Tasting: OK, first off, I can see why this is a popular whisky, it really has the taste, but is still smooth
and very woody, with a tinge of orange bite inside a swelling of oak and , no just oak really!
Very long aftertaste, burns, that is the key here, it has that oak as a burn that slowly goes into
the mouth and ends at the very back of the gullet! Dude! No other whisky I've tasted do that!!!
The bouquet, or the nose if you want to call it that really does resemble the Talisker 18 years..!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2008, 06:53 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #201 on: 29 Mar 2008, 07:26 pm »
Got a couple of days off now... me collection will be put to good use!!!  :wine:

Hihi!

Imperial

ctviggen

« Reply #202 on: 29 Mar 2008, 08:50 pm »
So, I've added Springbank to my collection today.

Tasting in a few..  :drool:

Tasting: OK, first off, I can see why this is a popular whisky, it really has the taste, but is still smooth
and very woody, with a tinge of orange bite inside a swelling of oak and , no just oak really!
Very long aftertaste, burns, that is the key here, it has that oak as a burn that slowly goes into
the mouth and ends at the very back of the gullet! Dude! No other whisky I've tasted do that!!!
The bouquet, or the nose if you want to call it that really does resemble the Talisker 18 years..!

Imperial

This is one of my favorite scotches, but you haven't remarked on the briny aspect of it. 

Imperial

« Reply #203 on: 29 Mar 2008, 10:06 pm »
You are a man worth your salt...
May you never run out of power!

Cheers!

Yup.. Brine it is, learned a new word there!  :oops:  :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2008, 04:03 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #204 on: 7 Apr 2008, 10:46 pm »
I tried a wee glass of

Glenlivet 12 tonight. It is smooth, and very good tasting. A very "sweets" tasting whisky, but not what I'd call a superb
whisky. But as I said. A real nice one!!!

But not a whisky for any collection of mine!!! I'd say this is a blender for the whisky thirsty, at best...

Imperial

some young guy

« Reply #205 on: 8 Apr 2008, 02:01 am »

My new favorite!  :thumb:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #206 on: 7 May 2008, 03:04 am »
Since I'm fairly new to sipping some scotch just a quick question.
 Do you add a splash of water to yours? I like it with a splash but also like it straight. Am I just diluting a good thing? If I'm not suppose to add a little water please tell me. :duh: How do you more seasoned vets prefer your drink. I just don't want to waste my now preferred drink. :lol:
 Thanks,
Bill

some young guy

« Reply #207 on: 7 May 2008, 04:11 am »
 Do you add a splash of water to yours? I like it with a splash but also like it straight. Am I just diluting a good thing? If I'm not suppose to add a little water please tell me. :duh: How do you more seasoned vets prefer your drink. I just don't want to waste my now preferred drink. :lol:
 Thanks,
Bill

Best answer: Try it both ways and see what you prefer. It's fun research if nothing else.  :thumb:

mihilli

« Reply #208 on: 7 May 2008, 04:29 am »
 Thanks,
Bill

2 schools of thought on this, and the one I go with, says it's necessary to add a splash of water to dilute the hi alcohol content, otherwise the 1st sip kills your taste buds.  The other guys say it's heresy to add water to good single malt.

I belong to a single malt club where regular tastings are held and I think the majority of people drink it with a splash of H2O.

As for that blended stuff, who cares, mix anything you want with it  :lol:

denjo

« Reply #209 on: 7 May 2008, 05:52 am »
Remember what 007 said?

James Bond ( Sean Connery ) in Goldfinger:
"Just a drink - a martini, shaken, not stirred." (Substitute "scotch" for "martini")  :D

Thebiker

« Reply #210 on: 14 May 2008, 03:16 pm »
Being a Scot (complete with kilt for appropriate occasions) I will add that a small splash, 1-2 teaspoons of water is added to fully release all the flavors of and aromas of the beverage.  At least that is what is claimed by the "expert" that taught a couple of Scotch tasting seminars that I have attended.

The gentleman running the seminar claimed that the addition of the small amount of water (don't drown it) releases additional aromas of the scotch.  Now I can smell a difference before and after the splash is added, but then I can also hear a difference in cables  :).  And since all good Scots want full value for the money spent, I always add the splash to my scotch.

Walt

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #211 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:20 pm »
Who would have thunk I could get a Scotch education on audio circle!!  Great thread.  My overall favorites Oban 14, Macallan 18, Bunnahabhain 12, and yes I'll say it a Glenlivet 18 (never the 12).  Thanks for the wonderful information!

No offense to anyone who likes the Glenlivet 12!

Mark

some young guy

« Reply #212 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:26 pm »
I just recently picked up the Oban 14. While I like the flavor quite a bit, I still prefer the Johnny Walker Gold 18 for it's balance and smoothness. I will continue my research though.

golfugh

« Reply #213 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:31 pm »
The second bottle of the Oban is SO much better!!  It's kind of like a Bunnahabhain 12, it gets better each time you drink it.

some young guy

« Reply #214 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:34 pm »
The second bottle of the Oban is SO much better!!  It's kind of like a Bunnahabhain 12, it gets better each time you drink it.
Oh, so I need to drink a couple bottles...  :duh:  :lol:

golfugh

« Reply #215 on: 9 Jun 2008, 10:43 pm »
Always!! :lol:

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #216 on: 13 Jun 2008, 03:34 am »
I just bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12, and I have to say that it doesn't do it for me. It is smooth, but it has no character whatsoever.

The first bottle I bought was a Dalmore Cigar Malt that I brought back from my trip to Scotland (now I know I'd been had due to the exchange rate). It was a very nice introduction to Scotch whiskey.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #217 on: 13 Jun 2008, 04:21 am »
Not having time to review all posts, might I add the following Highlands for consideration/analysis: Glenfarclas, The Balvenie Double Wood, Macallan Cask Strength, and Glenlivet Nadura - Cask Strength. All smooth, dark, each with it's own character. Note that the cask strengths are 58.4% proof, so a tad shy of White Lighting, but getting there.

Cheers  :thumb:

Back to work......

Imperial

« Reply #218 on: 13 Jun 2008, 10:28 pm »
I tried something different here tonight:
I put two types of Whisky in the same glass:

Lagavulin 12 natural cask + Caol Ila Natural Cask, sort of 50/50 mix..
Something incredible happened! Each sip was different!!! It was like something Chemical was happening in the glass!
Strong stuff this beyond 100 proof was this mix, with bite and burn to spare!

Wow! Quite remarkable indeed!!!

Imperial

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #219 on: 27 Jun 2008, 04:03 am »
Good news - the Glenmorangie range of 12 year old scotch has gone to a non-chillfiltered bottling, I've had a couple already from this updated range, went from good to great.  Give it a try, this is great stuff.