Scotch!!

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #180 on: 29 Oct 2007, 05:35 pm »
Today, I opened a bottle of Caol Ila 12. (only a 0.2L bottle)
A strong smokey almost leathery flavour.
Ah! Great stuff!

But the 18 ... is better.  8)

Imperial
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2007, 01:16 am by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #181 on: 17 Nov 2007, 01:15 am »
My next one will be a CAOL ILA Cask Strength. 55% proof, and superbly blended!!!

Imperial

Imperial

« Reply #182 on: 2 Jan 2008, 05:22 pm »
Well, I'm sitting here with a newly aquired bottle of BruichLaddich "Islay" Single Malt Second 12'ans Edition".
About to pop the cork... Lets see...

Well, that was smooth stuff! A bit much peach taste in there, but still very smooth! Not the most "smokey" Islay I've tasted..

Imperial, read : this for the purpose of intoxication with style!

Next : Talisker 18!
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2008, 07:20 pm by Imperial »

clewlor

« Reply #183 on: 2 Jan 2008, 06:21 pm »
I have enjoyed 2 Islay Scotch Whiskies - Laphroaig and Lagavulin 16 which I have another bottle of waiting on me.  I like the peaty taste.

Also I enjoy a Bourbon as well - Woodford Reserve.  Easy sippin' drink.

Imperial

« Reply #184 on: 2 Jan 2008, 07:23 pm »
Well.
I've made a blend:

50% Caol Ila 12 years and 50% Bruichladdich 12 years single malt...

Tasting: ...WOW! That really was a good combo!!!  Mmmmm! (And as always, Ringnes extraGold between the sips!)

Imperial

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #185 on: 7 Jan 2008, 09:46 pm »
This one just came up. 

http://blogs.forbes.com/findoftheday/2007/12/macallan-55-yea.html

Must be good.   :o :o

Imperial

« Reply #186 on: 7 Jan 2008, 10:25 pm »
Actually, this one is thought the best: Laphroaig 30 years old.
I had once a bottle of a Cognac that was 38 years old. What can I say... I Still miss it!
After 20 years something, something just happens to cognac and whisky... It is also reflected in the price, sadly... !  :drool:

Imperial

CSJ

« Reply #187 on: 8 Jan 2008, 06:43 pm »
Will add one to the list to try but very $$$$. Springbank 21 year old. Best stuff on earth. When I first started drinking the SB21 it was $70, then $90, then $130, then not available. Now, well its over $400. Also, another winner for just under $100 is Auchentoshan 21 (lowland).

Imperial

« Reply #188 on: 9 Jan 2008, 12:53 pm »
Sadly for the English speaking part of this forum, this site is in Norwegian only.
But for those from say Finland, Sweden And Denmark and Island, Orkney and other "Nordic" speaking islands/countries.
A site Worth bookmarking indeed! Great info is on this site about Whisky! Single malt predominately..
http://www.whiskyfun.com/ ... just found it.. could be worth checking out to!
And did you guys now there are Imperial whisky styles.. Oh yeah!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2008, 01:09 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #189 on: 9 Jan 2008, 10:15 pm »
And... youtube has a impressive amount of Whisky tasting vids...
Quite amazing amount...

Anyway, now you know!

And if you want to know how to pronounce whisky... it's actually done like this: Uisgebeatha !!! Yeah! It is!!!
It means: Life "from the water" sprung... Or Water "of" life.. what ever your thirst.. :drool:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm by Imperial »

ctviggen

« Reply #190 on: 10 Jan 2008, 01:25 am »
Will add one to the list to try but very $$$$. Springbank 21 year old. Best stuff on earth. When I first started drinking the SB21 it was $70, then $90, then $130, then not available. Now, well its over $400. Also, another winner for just under $100 is Auchentoshan 21 (lowland).

I like every Springbank, although their generic Longrow can sometimes be not so well integrated.  I'm drinking Springbank Marsala, which is very good.  The Longrow Sherry is great, as are many of their other models.

As for Lagavulin, I have the Lagavulin DE (Distiller's Edition).  This is great, and better than I remember the regular Laga 16 being.  I'll write more later regard the DE (I'd like to do a taste test). 

For some cheaper stuff, the Rich and Spicy one is good:

http://www.csliquors.com/scotchdetail.asp?ScotchID=5801

As is the black bottle:

http://www.blackbottle.com/

jon_010101

« Reply #191 on: 13 Jan 2008, 04:51 am »
I just got back from a fairly nice bar.  I had Macallan 18 and Oban 14, and bought a Corona for a friend.  They close my tab -- $10.  It *was* happy hour, but I felt like a thief! :o

gprro

« Reply #192 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:19 am »
whats up Scotchophiles. I'm a relative newbie to the scotch world. I unearthed a bottle of Blue Label at my grandparents. It's a smaller bottle 200ml I think, still in the presentation case. The kicker is I think the bottle was actually purchased 15+ years ago! Any thoughts? I'm actually waiting to open it.  :drool:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #193 on: 30 Jan 2008, 02:41 pm »
I'm actually waiting to open it.  :drool:
WAIT.....I'll be right over. aa

Imperial

« Reply #194 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:17 pm »
Today I'm trying out two of my newest acquisitions: Ardbeg 10 and Laphroiag 10.
They are both single malts.
 :drool:

Ok, yeah, I can safely say that I'm giving Laphroiag a bye bye.. I'm not getting more of that type..
It's not for me I think.

Ardbeg, yes... We like it! It goes in to third place for me just under Caol Ila.
Lagavulin is still the favv!!!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 08:18 pm by Imperial »

jon_010101

« Reply #195 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:52 pm »

Ok, yeah, I can safely say that I'm giving Laphroiag a bye bye.. I'm not getting more of that type..
It's not for me I think.

Last time I barf'd, Laphroiag may have played a role  :|

Alan

« Reply #196 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:06 am »

It's not for me I think.

Last time I barf'd, Laphroiag may have played a role  :|

Laphroaig is hazardous... do not drink it! (send it to me for proper... you know... disposal) :drool:

DeanSheen

« Reply #197 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:10 am »
whats up Scotchophiles. I'm a relative newbie to the scotch world. I unearthed a bottle of Blue Label at my grandparents. It's a smaller bottle 200ml I think, still in the presentation case. The kicker is I think the bottle was actually purchased 15+ years ago! Any thoughts? I'm actually waiting to open it.  :drool:

Yes, when you pour it make sure you let it breathe for awhile before you drink it. That will let it open up sufficiently to reveal it's true character.

ctviggen

« Reply #198 on: 17 Feb 2008, 07:58 pm »
I just finished off two Highland Parks:  A Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask, 1987 (distilled), 17 yo, 50%; and a Hart Brothers, 1977 (distilled), 19 yo, 43%.  These are both very good, although the Old Malt Cask is better and one of the best whiskeys I've tried.  I sent some samples to a friend, who compared the HP Old Malt Cask with Talisker 25, and thought the HP Old Malt Cask was as good (but different) than the Talisker 25.  Now, that's saying something, because the Talisker 25 is fantastic. 

Imperial

« Reply #199 on: 12 Mar 2008, 11:40 pm »
Today I'm trying my 16 years old.

This bottel is currently priced at 100$ !! Ouch!!! But it is so worth every penny!!!
Still not as good as the 2006 bottling of 12 years old Cask strength Lagavulin 12, but awesome AWESOME!!!

Imperial