Poll

Would you like to see a North Texas regional circle?

Yes
20 (83.3%)
No
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: 19 Jul 2004, 08:08 pm

North Texas regional circle?

brj

« on: 19 Jul 2004, 08:08 pm »
I've noticed quite a few people posting to AC from the North Texas area (the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and surrounding communities).  Many of the other regional circles have produced some great meets and equipment comparisons, so I thought I'd test the waters regarding a North Texas circle.  (Come on... you know you'd rather go listen to audio gear on the occasional weekend than do yard work in 95+ degree heat!)

Suggestions?  Comments?  Naming ideas?  Volunteers willing to facilitate the new circle?

Thanks!

-Brian

brj

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2004, 12:11 am »
Hmmm... I wasn't expecting a landslide, but I thought the response might be a wee bit stronger than this! :)

What happened, did everyone get shy all of a sudden?  Or maybe everyone went for vacations someplace cooler... where they don't have Internet connections! :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2004, 07:11 am »
A Lone Star Circle sounds good to me !  :) Where are the Texas members speaking up about starting a circle ?? Its really great getting everyone together , checking out each others systems , and general chit-chat. You gain a lot from these get-togethers.... My view... its worked out well in NY, NC, St.Louis, Denver, and CA. , and Oz.... so why not in Texas... :guns:   (i thought everything is bigger in tx... :) )

brj

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2004, 12:48 pm »
Thanks for the visit, LoneWolf!

Quote from: lonewolfny42
A Lone Star Circle sounds good to me !  :) Where are the Texas members speaking up about starting a circle??

Too busy researching new components, I guess! :)

Its really great getting everyone together , checking out each others systems , and general chit-chat. You gain a lot from these get-togethers....

I've already had 3 local AC members already generously allow me to audition their systems.  I'd think it would be a lot of fun to take it to the next level... component shootouts, wider get-togethers, etc..

My view... its worked out well in NY, NC, St.Louis, Denver, and CA. , and Oz.... so why not in Texas... :guns:   (i thought everything is bigger in tx... :) )

Well, maybe not the trees and lakes, but what do I know... I'm an imported Yankee!  Funny, I didn't realize that until I got here... :lol:

EDS_

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2004, 01:08 pm »
I'm in.
I live in Plano FWiiW.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2004, 01:14 pm »
Count me in.
I'm in Frisco.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2004, 03:31 pm »
I didn't see this until just now.

I drive down to Dallas at least once a month or so and meet with a small group down there.

You could count all of us in for any get together.

Four of us are regulars and about 5 or 6 more will come if they know about it or are invited.

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2004, 05:51 pm »
I'm all for it...am hoping for some pictures of some great bbq...  :mrgreen:

cryoparts

I'm In As Well!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2004, 10:40 pm »
Count me in.  

Let me know how I can help.

brj

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2004, 10:56 pm »
Ahhhh... more responses today!  Everyone must be surfing the web while they wait for the work week to end!  :)  The last regional circle formed (So Cal) had a 72% buy-in after 11 votes, so we're starting to look pretty good.

With that in mind, how about some suggestions for a circle name?

Second, is anyone interested in becoming the circle facilitator?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Texas....
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2004, 11:11 pm »
It may have just taken a little bit of time for the right people to find the tread.

Who would vote "no" on a thread like this I wonder?

Either you have enough guys in the area or you don't.

Some of the guys have already been kind of jokingly calling themselves the North Texas Audiophiles.

One of the guys wives call us all "audio fags", because we all love audio so much. Somehow though I don't think that settles well with me as a name. It is funny though.

I don't think a forum like this would be much to facilitate and I will volunteer if no one else does.

But, it would be better if some one else will do it though. A non-industry professional would be better.

Then just organize a monthly party some where and have everybody bring something new or cool to listen to...

BBQ... ?

PhilNYC

Re: Texas....
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2004, 01:11 am »
Quote from: Danny
BBQ ...?

Check out the pictures from the June meeting of the NY Audio Rave:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11258&start=0

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2004, 01:35 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
BBQ ...?

Check out the pictures from the June meeting of the NY Audio Rave:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11258&start=0
Yours was pretty good Phil. And if your ever in Dallas , check out "The Butcher Shop" !! You can prepare and cook your own steaks there....and they have some BIG steaks !! ...Great place....take a look ... http://www.restauranteur.com/butchershop/   :D

Captain Humble

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2004, 05:05 am »
I'm in!
I'm in Carrollton.

brj

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2004, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Check out the pictures from the June meeting of the NY Audio Rave:http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11258&start=0

Looks like you guys had a good time!

Amusing, however, in that I was just looking at Weber (and other) grills last weekend.  Lots of options, but hopefully a much easier decision than my future audio system! :lol:

And if your ever in Dallas , check out "The Butcher Shop" !! You can prepare and cook your own steaks there....and they have some BIG steaks !!

I love a good steak on the grill, but If I'm going to be paying restaurant prices, then they darn well better be cooking my food for me! :lol:  Actually, another good place to eat is Texas de Brazil.  They have one both in Dallas and Fort Worth.  It is a Brazilian steakhouse where servers walk around with skewers of just about every type of meat imaginable and you take whatever you want.  It isn't cheap, but it is a carnivore's dream come true!

Anyway, back to the task at hand...

Who would vote "no" on a thread like this I wonder?

I've been wondering this myself.  I don't see how anyone could be bothered by a regional thread.... maybe our respective neighbors got wind and are afraid of noise pollution? :)

Some of the guys have already been kind of jokingly calling themselves the North Texas Audiophiles.

Workable...

One of the guys wives call us all "audio fags", because we all love audio so much. Somehow though I don't think that settles well with me as a name.

Ummm, yeah, lets avoid that one, shall we?

I don't think a forum like this would be much to facilitate and I will volunteer if no one else does.  But, it would be better if some one else will do it though. A non-industry professional would be better.

I appreciate you making the offer and also displaying such insight.  I tend to agree that having a private individual host the circle is probably the best option.  I'm not completely adverse to doing it myself, but I'd feel a bit awkward about it since I'm still researching what will be my first true system.  I'm basically music-free (except for some decent but not exceptional Koss headphones) at the moment.  Anyone else interested?

Any other naming ideas?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2004, 03:36 pm »
Hi brj,
    Thanks for the heads-up on Texas de Brazil !! If you get to NYC, might check this one out .....
http://www.churrascariaplataforma.com/index_midtown.html  ...one of the  many steakhouses in NYC and suburbs......chow down... :D [/list:u]

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2004, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: brj

Danny wrote:
One of the guys wives call us all "audio fags", because we all love audio so much. Somehow though I don't think that settles well with me as a name.

Ummm, yeah, lets avoid that one, shall we?

At first my wife associated "Audiophile" with "Pedophile". I asked her how the hell she came up with that. Just because of the 'phile' portion.  :nono:

BTW, I voted for a TX circle even though I'm in Colorado. :thumb:

Mike

brj

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2004, 12:42 am »
Thanks for the heads-up on Texas de Brazil !! If you get to NYC, might check this one out ..... http://www.churrascariaplataforma.com/index_midtown.html  ...one of the  many steakhouses in NYC and suburbs......chow down... :D

Yep, same type of place!  Thanks for the pointer!

Quote from: mgalusha
At first my wife associated "Audiophile" with "Pedophile". I asked her how the hell she came up with that. Just because of the 'phile' portion.

Gotta love google! :)  "suffix 'phile'  - one that loves or has a strong affinity for"

Quote from: mgalusha
BTW, I voted for a TX circle even though I'm in Colorado.

Thanks, mgalusha!  Give us a yell if you decide to visit TX.  Of course, a trip to CO sounds pretty good too!

theborg

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:57 am »
I've already had 3 local AC members already generously allow me to audition their systems. I'd think it would be a lot of fun to take it to the next level... component shootouts, wider get-togethers, etc..

That sounds like just what the regional circles are for :thumb:

Seems to me like you (brj) would make a fine facilitator, but you will need to agree to doing it and come up with a name. Lone Star something?

brj

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:54 am »
Quote from: theborg
I've already had 3 local AC members already generously allow me to audition their systems. I'd think it would be a lot of fun to take it to the next level... component shootouts, wider get-togethers, etc..

That sounds like just what the regional circles are for :thumb:

Seems to me like you (brj) would make a fine facilitator, but you will need to agree to doing it

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  If no one else is interested in the next day (or so), I'll do it.  (This will also give me a chance to burn my computer down and reinstall my various operating systems.)

Quote from: theborg
and come up with a name. Lone Star something?

Some might like to discuss the point, but I don't think we want the North Texas circle to assume a name representative of the whole state! :lol:  Someday, others might want to form circles for Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc.! :)

Come one guys, any suggestions on a name?  Danny's "North Texas Audiophiles" suggestion seems to be the one to beat so far...