CDP-8/9

slash71

Re: CDP-8/9
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov 2017, 06:54 pm »
the outsider !

CDP9 arrived today , I'm playing some music and relaxing ..

amazing!

rustydoglim

« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:55 pm »
reading technical data sheet to understand  that  384k PCM & 256 DSD are input rates  and 768PCM/512DSD is the upsampling digital output capability.

I'm wrong ?

No. USB audio is able to handle DSD512 but I don't know of any music in that format (don't bother with upsampled files that are so huge, CDP-9 internal SRC can do the conversion in real time and save you all the storage).
Coaxial and optical have physical limitation to lower rate as stated on the spec.

Practically most of the original music are available in 44.1kHz, a lot have been upsampled. There are good recordings in higher format but most are in 96kHz  and some 192kHz. CDP-9 and the internal full-featured DAC allows you to play with the sampling rate without the need to convert your files.

This will be interesting - if you find some of your downloaded music sound the best with a specific sampling rate, you can then convert the file and always play at this rate. CDP-9 allows you to experimenting with the effect on-the-fly. 

slash71

« Reply #42 on: 13 Nov 2017, 07:03 pm »
Right , thanks for full explanations ..

VintageFlanker

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2017, 01:24 am »

Just got my CDP-9 yesterday. For now, I'm a bit confused. What can I say is this sounds REALLY different from the DAC-9.

JackD

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2017, 01:30 am »
Isn't it a different DAC chip company? ESS 9028 vs AKM 4490.  As Jason stated earlier the CDP would sound more like the DAC-10 which is also ESS chip based. 

VintageFlanker

« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2017, 06:37 am »
Isn't it a different DAC chip company? ESS 9028 vs AKM 4490.  As Jason stated earlier the CDP would sound more like the DAC-10 which is also ESS chip based.

Right, I knew that. As I own many units using both AKM and Sabre, it depends about tweaks compagnies made and sometimes both can sounds not so different depending of the filters/amp/preamp parts. That being said,  I didn't expect a so radical change in signature. People saying "all DAC sound the same" are wrong. This is an evident proof.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:03 pm »
I assume a break in period is required for a final comparison to be fair, but I'm interested in your subjective opinions as to the differences?  Is one more bright or warm than the other? Is one more detailed or higher-res than the other?  Do you have a personal preference from one to the other? (I understand this is all subjective, but I'm interested in your findings!)

Thanks,
Rafa.

VintageFlanker

« Reply #47 on: 16 Nov 2017, 08:38 pm »
I assume a break in period is required for a final comparison to be fair, but I'm interested in your subjective opinions as to the differences?  Is one more bright or warm than the other? Is one more detailed or higher-res than the other?  Do you have a personal preference from one to the other? (I understand this is all subjective, but I'm interested in your findings!)

Thanks,
Rafa.

I will answer to all these.

First, while I believe in burn-in regarding headphones and speakers, I am more sceptical about electronics. From my personal experience, I never noticed any audible (or measurable) difference during the break in process. My opinion, for what it worth..People simply get use to a specific sound and believe this one has changed after a period.

That's being said,

About CDP-9 vs DAC-9 (both paired with double mono STA-9s, XLR connection, speakers: MA Silver 10s, files: 16b/44 WAV or 24b/88/96 or CD)

CDP-9: Overall has a flat sound, I haven't noticed some kind of emphasis on any part of the spectrum. I guess it's close to neutral. Doesn't have the typical Sabre signature, not specifically bright, cold or analytical. More rearward and narrow soundstage. Imaging is more precise and focused. More air between instruments but sounds a bit "empty" and thin for these reasons. Bass and low mids are better textured. Highs are maybe a bit roll off and smoother. Overall,  I would say it is accurate but a bit "boring" in the other hand.

DAC-9: Definitely warmer. Wider and more forward soundstage. Fuller, more organic presentation. More impact and deepness in low frequencies. Faster and stronger midbass.  Sounds thicker. A bit more like a V shaped signature overall. Lot of punch, yet still enough refined depending of the style of music. Remind me the Cayin house sound. As far I'm concerned, I prefer this kind of signature but this is clearly not neutral.

At the same level of volume, DAC-9 is no contest louder. However I prefer to have a margin for precise volume adjustment.

Conclusion: I prefer the signature of the DAC-9. I will return the CDP-9 and wait fir the release of CDT-8 (hope this one will have an AES out) or another CD transport.

A word about the headphone amp:, overall neutral and very good. Enough power to drive my K712 Pro fine. I doubt this will have enough juice for very low sensitivity headphones.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2017, 06:47 am by VintageFlanker »

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:26 am »
Interesting read, Vintage, thanks for all that insight and personal take on this issue. 

Having only heard the DAC-10 (and now briefly the uDSD) from NuPrime, I was interested in how the 'other' chip sounds!  The DAC-9's departure from ESS always intrigued me, and its 'warmth' was something I debated with myself if I would like or dislike the 'coloring' of the sound.  In the end I went with the (reportedly) more 'neutral' DAC-10, but always had the 'what if' question.

Nice to read someone that prefers that rendering of sound.   What music do you mostly listen to?

Best regards,
Rafa.

VintageFlanker

« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:46 am »
[

rustydoglim

« Reply #50 on: 24 Nov 2017, 04:50 pm »
CDT-8 will have AES output.
If you want warmer sound, go with CDT-8 and DAC-9 combo.
For neutral sound, go with CDT-9.

What about those already have DAC-10* and ST-10, good news is that we decided to release a matching CDT-10.

VintageFlanker

« Reply #51 on: 24 Nov 2017, 04:54 pm »
CDT-8 will have AES output.

That is REALLY good news. I will wait until CDT-8 release, so.

Tom Davis

« Reply #52 on: 24 Nov 2017, 06:33 pm »
I agree, I've been waiting for a NuPrime transport with AES output. Now the wait will very shortly be over!

Thanks so much for this product.

VintageFlanker

« Reply #53 on: 2 Dec 2017, 04:45 pm »
Does CDT-8 release still planned for this month?

rustydoglim

« Reply #54 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:50 pm »
It has just gone into production. Shipping last week of January 2018.
Here's CDT-8 sample with IDA-8. The buttons are a nice design variation from the 9 series front panel.  The SRC (sampling rate conversion) setting is done using the remote.  The two images were stitched together by me, so they look slightly off in size :)

VintageFlanker

« Reply #55 on: 6 Dec 2017, 07:52 pm »
It has just gone into production. Shipping last week of January 2018.
Here's CDT-8 sample with IDA-8. The buttons are a nice design variation from the 9 series front panel.  The SRC (sampling rate conversion) setting is done using the remote.  The two images were stitched together by me, so they look slightly off in size :)

Hum :?

I expected something more on par with the 9 series regarding design...

Sad it doesn't look closer to the CDP-9.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2017, 10:44 pm by VintageFlanker »

Maxwyme

« Reply #56 on: 6 Dec 2017, 09:38 pm »
C'mon Guys, WTF about the design ??????  :o :o :o :o

The CDP-9 shape was a perfect-fitting with the 9-Series !!!!

Please just tell us it's a prototype right?  :D

Tom Davis

« Reply #57 on: 6 Dec 2017, 10:25 pm »
Lovely, clean design. Thanks for the front image, is there also a chance to see the rear?

And thank you for ship-date; if possible, could you also confirm the price?

Tom

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #58 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:50 am »
I agree with others that the departure from the beveled front looks weird. Not bad, but not in accordance with the other products. Will there be a CDT-9?

Thanks,
Rafa.

Edit: perhaps icons instead of words would have made for a cleaner look on the very slick buttons?  Also, in the CDT, the difference in size between the tray and the screen is not a problem due to it being centered in the front panel, but here since it's on the right side, it looks weird.  I have to side with the surprise regarding the choices of product design here.

rustydoglim

« Reply #59 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:49 am »
The CDT-8 Pro looks very nice when view with the actual object. Photography can't show how nice the round buttons look.
It is a departure from the curved look but still within the same clean and simple design style.
The curved look of the CDP-9 will put CDT-8 Pro out of budget for most people. 
We know for a fact that similar internal "guts" are in other CD transport that cost twice as much.  NuPrime has always focus on performance and try to keep the price within budget for most customers.

We tried to lower the price of CDT-8 Pro further but there is just no way. After all the R&D salaries, tooling and certification cost are factored in, it will take a long time and a small miracle for CDT-8 Pro to become profitable model for us. I know some of you can afford "anything" but most of the 9-series customers have a tight budget and our objective is focus on out sized performance and value for money for our brand.