help needed: receiver went bust.

zipidachimp

help needed: receiver went bust.
« on: 18 Sep 2011, 11:16 pm »
I'm trying to replace a 2 channel yamaha receiver, and finding that prices are better on 5 channel equipment. Can I use a 5 channel receiver when I only want a quality 2 channel stereo?  it's been 12 years since I've had to buy anything and I'm feeling like a dinosaur when I walk into Best Buy etc..... :oops:

tesseract

zipidachimp

Re: help needed: receiver went bust.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:14 am »
thanks, saw that last night, couldn't believe the price. that'll do it.  still feel like a dinosaur!!!!!! :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:19 am »
Post a review, please.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:56 am »
Those HK 2ch receivers have pretty good sound.    The 3490 has higher wattage, preamp out and bass management along with a phono preamp section.  They are high current to boot.  They have a warmer sound but are not the last word on resolution.  Not bad for $300.  They will knock the socks off the mid and some higher priced AVR's.  Although I might spend the extra dough and get the Outlaw audio RR2150

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2011, 01:27 am »
I had a HK factory refirb'd receiver years ago (half MSRP).  Very beefy power supply, lots of current capacity, nice full bodied/warm sound (great for cheaper associated gear).

OTOH my stupid cheap Sony 6.1 receiver ain't bad, decent sound/good tuner (HT is a low priority to me).

Note I had a NAD 3020 many years ago (similar sound to HK, but not as well built).

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2011, 11:34 pm »
Hey man, whats your budget limit? which speakers you have?