Is a $270 24bit/96kHz DAC+EQ+RTA+Balanced I/O cheap and cheerful?

neekomax

So, I've been researching EQs a little bit and I came across the Behringer ULTRA-CURVE PRO DEQ2496.

I think this could be an incredible value as a system upgrade for me. Just the upsampling 24/96 DAC alone might be worth the $$, but you get all the power and flexibility of digital 31 band graphic, 10 band parametric, and dynamic  stereo equalizers. To top it off, you get a quality real time analyzer for room correction with an xlr input for a good RTA mic.

I know Behringer sometimes gets a bad rap in the pro audio world (QC, ripping off others' designs), but good lord, they're really offering a lot for the money, wouldn't you say? :o

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-DEQ2496-Component-Rack/dp/B000CCN152

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Cheap yes, cheerful?  Read on...

Quality control has been an issue, so buy from a reputable source.

Cheap build, so it offers lots of room for tweaks.

It's complicated (the DEQ can be replaced with software if you're 100% computer based) and needs a microphone to set some of it's parameters.

But the DAC is it's weak link (and sort of a bonus feature anyway).  Modders are out there to help.  I own one and use it in my main rig.  The DEQ replaces the baffle step/zobel circuit in my single driver speakers (allowing a direct connection from each monoblock to each driver) and of course room EQ.  Hearing flat frequency response is an epiphany.

I had Scott Endler mod the DAC section, which includes pulling out the downstream op-amp.  I never heard the piece stock, but modded the piece works perfectly and I'm "reasonably satisfied" with the DAC performance (even compared to a popular $750 model).  But note that I'm a "speaker guy."

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I heard it briefly at the Everything Audio room at Capital Audiofest.  In a small room with an unfamiliar system I really couldn't comment other than I didn't hear anything bad, and John Gatski was singing it's praises.

neekomax

Cheap yes, cheerful?  Read on...

Quality control has been an issue, so buy from a reputable source.

Cheap build, so it offers lots of room for tweaks.

It's complicated (the DEQ can be replaced with software if you're 100% computer based) and needs a microphone to set some of it's parameters.

But the DAC is it's weak link (and sort of a bonus feature anyway).  Modders are out there to help.  I own one and use it in my main rig.  The DEQ replaces the baffle step/zobel circuit in my single driver speakers (allowing a direct connection from each monoblock to each driver) and of course room EQ.  Hearing flat frequency response is an epiphany.

I had Scott Endler mod the DAC section, which includes pulling out the downstream op-amp.  I never heard the piece stock, but modded the piece works perfectly and I'm "reasonably satisfied" with the DAC performance (even compared to a popular $750 model).  But note that I'm a "speaker guy."

Hmmm. The DAC is reputed to be the weak link? Or you've heard it?

No too worried about complicated.

I'd prefer hardware EQ between my preamp and my amp so that all my sources will be eqed, not just the computer's audio.  I would get it just for that, and see how it works as a DAC as well. Since a DAC and an EQ would ideally be in different places in the signal path, I realize that it's an either/or proposition.

I'm going to start checking pro audio stuff out for components in the future... there's too much out there to ignore it.

JohnR

RTAs are quite limited in the information you can get from them. I'd honestly suggest getting a calibrated mic and preamp/interface first.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
By all accounts, the DAC is the weak link in the Behringer DEQ2496.

Pro equipment almost always use XLR connectors for balanced grounding (to account for interferences from long/multiple cable runs) and often have cooling fans. 

Pro speakers are more "ruthlessly analytical"/detailed and less warm/"tuneful".  But it is what the studio's that mixed the recording use.  Their biggest advantage is their "active" status (one channel of amplification per driver) with line level crossovers.