Need a CD changer - yes, a changer

tonyptony

Need a CD changer - yes, a changer
« on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:23 am »
My sister's friend refuses to give up his old JVC system. It's one of those classic tower systems from the late 80s, and includes a 5 disc CD changer. The changer has finally hit the wall. Unfortunately he's gotten very used to the concept of a changer, and has tons of CDs, and no will not go to a more modern mode of making music available (streamer etc). He wants another changer, so I want to help him. But rather than just going out and getting something cheap and not so good, I'd like to find out if there's any chance there's something cheap and not so bad out there.

I figured a CD changer counts for this forum because it might be considered a humorous bit of gear in this day and age. :D

djbnh

Re: Need a CD changer - yes, a changer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:35 am »
I have a single disc main cdp. However, I've also put an old (circa 1988) Sony CDP-C50 5-disc changer into my system for use at times when I don't need the best sound and don't want to flip discs. No idea what's a good vintage unit, but mine works well for me for my purposes - it has a remote w/random feature, etc.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:38 am »
How about a nice Sony DVP NC875V?

5-disc CD player, DVD player, and if he really wants to move up into the late 90s, SACD as well!  WHOOHOO!   :hyper:

PM me with your Zip and I'll shoot you a price including shipping!

'brick

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:49 am »
The well reviewed Sony SCD-CE595 SACD changer can often be found on Sonystyle reconditioned for under $100. BB sold this dedicated changer new for $150.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2011, 02:50 am »
My sister's friend refuses to give up his old JVC system. It's one of those classic tower systems from the late 80s, and includes a 5 disc CD changer. The changer has finally hit the wall. Unfortunately he's gotten very used to the concept of a changer, and has tons of CDs, and no will not go to a more modern mode of making music available (streamer etc). He wants another changer, so I want to help him. But rather than just going out and getting something cheap and not so good, I'd like to find out if there's any chance there's something cheap and not so bad out there.

I figured a CD changer counts for this forum because it might be considered a humorous bit of gear in this day and age. :D

Hi Tony, I can highly recommend the Onkyo DX-C390. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=DX-C390&class=Compact Disc&p=i I've had mine for about 3yrs now & it's performed flawlessly & sounds superb...you have heard it on your visits. I might be letting it go now that I have the Sonos system. We need to get together soon for a listening session. Strawberries are looking pretty good now!!!! Hint, Hint!!. I'll be in touch.

Phil

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm »
Hi Tony,
I have a Pioneer Elite PD-19 300+1 Disc Changer, that has been sitting in its box in a closet for the last couple of years. Works perfectly and has some mods done to it. These sold for $700.00 new asking $250.00.
For a description and pics click on the link.
Chris
609-709-6792
http://www.elitestereo.netfirms.com/pd-f19.htm

soundbitten1

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm »
With his present system I'd find him something reliable, convenient and user friendly. He would probably appreciate those qualities the most. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm »
PM sent.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2011, 06:17 pm »
Hi Tony,
I have a Pioneer Elite PD-19 300+1 Disc Changer, that has been sitting in its box in a closet for the last couple of years. Works perfectly and has some mods done to it. These sold for $700.00 new asking $250.00.
For a description and pics click on the link.
Chris
609-709-6792
http://www.elitestereo.netfirms.com/pd-f19.htm

If I wasn't the process of downloading all my CD's into my computer, I'd buy this one myself!

tonyptony

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm »
I appreciate all the offers gang. I spoke with my sister today and I'm not sure he'd be up for a used player. Me? I'm a big fan of used gear. Got a few pieces in my own system. I may have to explain that a deal can be had, especially from a reliable crowd like ours.

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm »
With his present system I'd find him something reliable, convenient and user friendly. He would probably appreciate those qualities the most.

Yeah, I think you've got him pegged. :wink:

Sam-fi

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2011, 03:24 pm »
I have a Yamaha

this one actually http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/cd-players/cdc-697/?mode=model

and I love it - I wouldn't doubt it's sound quality on speakers $1000 or less. It is quite a little stunner.

I paid $200 new on amazon about a year ago.

Best wishes,
Sam

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:04 pm »
I have a Kenwood 150 cd carosel player w/remote that I'd part with for $125.  It has been stored for a year or two, but worked fine at the time.  If interested, I'll pull it out of the closet and check it out to make sure that it is still working ok.

tonyptony

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions. I ran some of these past him and he went with the Onkyo DX-C390 offered on Accessories4less as an Onkyo refurb. For the price and a 1 year Onkyo warranty he was happy. It also helps that I heard this very model at Phil's house, and it doesn't sound too bad at all! :)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2011, 01:04 pm »
I stick with five disc changers. The bigger ones have (generally) really crummy transports, and are a PITA IMO.
My all time favorite Cd changer was a Sony 89ES.
The next one after that is the Sony SCD333ES.
Then Sony 9ES (or 90ES)
Yamaha 7xx series were good enough.
Plenty of changers available in the $100 range. used.
Right now i currently own and use:
Sony 9ES, a Sony SCD333ES, A Sony SCD555ES, A Yamaha 7xx something.. none for sale...LOL.

tonyptony

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2011, 10:59 am »
The Onkyo is a big hit. They love the way it works and how it sounds. Of course now they're asking for more! :lol: See my other thread for wireless speakers.

hifitommy

i second the suggestion by thunderbrick
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2011, 07:21 pm »
that sony, being an sacd capable player, will likely sound wonderful on regular CDs because of the upsampling which makes for a smoother, better sounding result. 

john1970

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 2011, 08:17 pm »
J&R sells numerous CD changers ranging in price from $150 to ~$300.  I cannot comment on the reliability because I use a single drawer Rotel for my music.  For $150 I am thinking of purchasing the Onkyo for an office system.

Best,
John