Silly-cheap amps

JohnR

Silly-cheap amps
« on: 9 May 2011, 11:49 am »
One thing I've learned over the years with regard to audio systems: "Don't break something if it ain't broke!" I don't always take my own advice but I try to more now.

That is to say, this is a lead-in to introducing my latest "Cheap and Cheerful" purchase. Every single amp I have here is tied up in my HT or active 4-way system. (total 7 or is that 8 stereo amps...). And at this point I'd just really like to get an amp back into my study so I can listen to something when I'm working and the living room is not up for grabs. So I went on eBay and bought an amp for around $50 including shipping and power supply. I'll report more on it when I get it. I have no expectations other than it works.

Feel free to report on your own "silly cheap" amp here.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Silly-cheap amps
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2011, 01:16 pm »
Factory rebuilt Harmon-Kardon 70 wpc stereo receiver, $160 delivered with warrantee.  Sounded better than my Rotel, unfortunately it kept blowing diodes.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2011, 02:14 pm »
Let's see, NAD 3020B purchased for $100 sometime in the late 70's, a large Technics integrated that I've never hooked up for $25, a B&K ST202 that I'm still using for the cost of repair, about $120 if I recall, a Pioneer VSX912 receiver causing a big stir in the amplifier review section right about now purchased for $110 + shipping, another Pioneer receiver bought off the back of a truck in the early 90's for maybe $50 or so that my GF still uses.  Not to mention the preamps...   Does this qualify me for Cheap and Cheerful?

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2011, 02:17 pm »
Yes of course  :thumb: But I guess I was thinking more about new/current items.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2011, 02:27 pm »
I am currently running an original T-amp (I believe Parts Express is currently selling a Dayton version of this unit), only $29 originally, stupid good for the money.  Even with the mods (minus the big Ampohm coupling caps I am using right now) I have less than $100 in it.  It is driving the top half of my V1s with authority, it has a death grip on on the coaxes.  I will be running this until I complete my 2a3 amp build.

Best,
Ed

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2011, 11:06 am »
The original MiniWatt S1 ( APPJ ) is still available on ebay for under $200.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2011, 11:10 am »
I was thinking that "silly cheap" means $50 or less  :D As opposed to just "cheap"  :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2011, 11:15 am »
I am currently running an original T-amp

I think I probably ordered some variant of that. Hard to tell.

I'm leaning more and more to putting almost all of my available audio $$ into the "big rig" and play with other systems in the study/br/etc in the cheap and cheerful category and just see what happens.

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2011, 11:50 am »
I have one of the original Miniwatt amps which they sent me as a courtesy (free) after several problems and returns.  I did the cap mod and have "rolled" the tubes.  Still, as a spare amp w/ a passive attenuator I love it.  Its only 2.5 watts but my speakers are efficient enough for it. With the Speltz AntiCables (speaker) the amp is so light I have to put a brick on the Miniwatt output transformers  to keep it on the shelf.
Larry

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2011, 03:17 pm »
I think I probably ordered some variant of that. Hard to tell.

I'm leaning more and more to putting almost all of my available audio $$ into the "big rig" and play with other systems in the study/br/etc in the cheap and cheerful category and just see what happens.

Methinks you've ordered one of this guy(s) products -

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-M21-EX-TA2021-T-Amp-Stereo-Amplifier-25WX2-Blk-New-/270725586681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f08809ef9

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2011, 05:39 pm »
If $19 is silly cheap it's hard to beat the Lepai.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2011, 01:42 am »

Now that's something I can afford!  :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2011, 01:05 pm »

:o :o

That certainly qualifies.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2011, 01:27 pm »
With a little DIY the Sure Electronic Tripath modules look interesting:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-300

$44 but you need a 24 volt power supply.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2011, 02:32 pm »

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2011, 02:39 pm »
Well... it's getting up there...  :lol:

Martyn

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2011, 04:12 pm »
I bought my daughter one of the $20 Lepai amps for Christmas. For the price, it's hard to argue, but it's definitely a you-get-what-you-pay-for deal. Space is at a premium in her bedroom, so this lets her play her iPod through a pair of my DIY speakers without taking up much real estate, but I was disappointed with the sound quality and wouldn't buy one again.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2011, 01:31 am by Martyn »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2011, 10:40 pm »
There are huge threads on modding the Lepai so it must be worthwhile to some to garner so much attention.

I've never heard a Lepai but I've never heard a bad sounding t-amp.

Martyn

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2011, 01:31 am »
After spending about 20 minutes scanning threads about modding the Lepai, I've come to the conclusion that people mod them because they can - the amps are cheap (so there's not much to lose) and the boards have through-holes (so it's easy to replace components). I didn't find much (indeed, anything) approaching a well-reasoned description of either the mods themselves or the results! So maybe it's a good buy if you want to tinker, but I stand by my previous statement that the SQ is poor.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2011, 02:13 am »
After spending about 20 minutes scanning threads about modding the Lepai, I've come to the conclusion that people mod them because they can - the amps are cheap (so there's not much to lose) and the boards have through-holes (so it's easy to replace components). I didn't find much (indeed, anything) approaching a well-reasoned description of either the mods themselves or the results! So maybe it's a good buy if you want to tinker, but I stand by my previous statement that the SQ is poor.

Yes I'll have to agree. There are pics of the insides and it's a little scary and there seems to be a high failure rate. The diyaudio thread has people literally replacing all the components to improve the quality. What I've noticed is that folks who like the stock Lepai have not spent time w/ other TA2020 amps; a testament to the sound quality of the Tripath chip. The Muse linked above has MUCH better quality parts and is already ridiculously cheap. If you just need something for the garage, etc. the Lepai are a good value.