Cheap and Cheerful DAC's!!!A thread about DAC's under $500-

Audioclyde

Re: Cheap and Cheerful DAC's!!!A thread about DAC's under $500-
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2011, 12:11 am »
Any more updates on the Audio-gd NFB-2?  I'm thinking of selling my EE DAC, and maybe trying the NFB-2.

Thanks,

Randy

roscoeiii

« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2011, 12:19 am »
Randy,

Have you checked out the threads over at Head-Fi? Lots of Audio-GD comments there it seems. Looong threads, so beware...

Audioclyde

« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2011, 12:32 am »
Roscoe, thanks; yes I've tried to read the head fi threads, sort of  :o--they are so long and meander around such that I will admit I lost focus! 

My EE is only doing secondary duty right now, and don't want to be tempted to spend the bucks for Wayne's mods to it, which from what I've read and discussed with members whose ears I trust, take the EE to a much higher level.

Guess I'll post a trade/sale ad for the EE to keep me from succumbing to the temptation to spend even more bucks.

roscoeiii

« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2011, 12:47 am »
OT, but I would be curious to hear how the EE compares to your Modwright Transporter...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #64 on: 16 Jul 2011, 05:30 pm »
The Schiit Bifrost upgradeable DAC......$349 without USB and $449 with USB....USB and DAC portion are upgradeable making for a lot of flexibility.....here is a link...
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #65 on: 16 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm »

Here is another one...... $ 475 ( Made in Denmark )

Lead Audio LA-100

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #66 on: 17 Jul 2011, 12:50 am »
Manufacturer link (more information) for Lead Audio DAC:

http://www.lead-audio.com/leadaudio_dacoverview.html

Light on details, but I like the physical design and the description of value.

punkaroo

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:51 am »
My NOS Devilsound dac was purchasing used for a measly $130. It's my favourite inexpensive buy, and it sounds AWESOME!

ttan98

« Reply #68 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm »
Hi,

If you guys are after an El Cheapo and good quality DAC(NOT High End), this is the one you are looking for, based on Wolfson based WM8740 chipset. It is a DIY card, all you just need is to supply a 9-12Vac transformer.

I have used Wolfson based chipset before, the DAC will give you smooth and musical sound. The Cambridge DAC is based on this chipset.

go to this site:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200622982049&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

praedet

« Reply #69 on: 18 Aug 2011, 02:04 pm »
Do you know if it needs drivers?  Are there any places out there that document mods to this thing?

Ted

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #70 on: 18 Aug 2011, 02:05 pm »
Hi,

If you guys are after an El Cheapo and good quality DAC(NOT High End), this is the one you are looking for, based on Wolfson based WM8740 chipset. It is a DIY card, all you just need is to supply a 9-12Vac transformer.

I have used Wolfson based chipset before, the DAC will give you smooth and musical sound. The Cambridge DAC is based on this chipset.

go to this site:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200622982049&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Please give a quick blurb that this is not your ad on eBay, thnx.

wushuliu

« Reply #71 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:42 pm »
Wow they are getting sooooooo inexpensive now... so many choices.

Ttan is not the seller.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #72 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:09 pm »
I was about to write the same thing, this thread is awesome.... :thumb:

ttan98

« Reply #73 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm »
Please give a quick blurb that this is not your ad on eBay, thnx.

Soooo.. cynical, not my advert. BTW, just  bringing genuine info to fellow DIYers.......

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #74 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:26 am »
Soooo.. cynical, not my advert. BTW, just  bringing genuine info to fellow DIYers.......

You should take it as a complement, you write great ad copy, maybe you have a future on Madison Ave.   :wink:  Thnx for the confirmation, appreciated.

Rclark

« Reply #75 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:43 am »
I HAVE to throw another shout out for my Emotiva XDA-1. It is just an excellent DAC. Tons of inputs, fully balanced outputs (!), 12volts and 2amps output, strong clean signal, very well designed DAC, Hi-Rez compatible, highly revealing, neutral sound, built well, sexy looking, nice remote, 5 year warrantee, matchless customer service.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A big winner in this price category. I simply LOVE mine.

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

On sale for $299! Clearance sale. I think they might be prepping the XDA-2.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #76 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:57 am »
You know, I love the whole idea of Emotiva, well designed, great looking products at a bargain basement price.  Their marketing seems reasonable and straightforward.  But I keep seeing these reports of mediocre sound, not universally, but enough to keep the plastic in my wallet.  As a person with a lot of experience with Emotiva, how would you respond?

Rclark

« Reply #77 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:49 am »
In my system I have their ERC-2 and their xda-1 going straight into a modded Virtue Two.2 amp and I simply love it. It is pristine and utterly clear from top to bittom, great bass,  neutral and revealing, and the Virtue sweetens it up some. I cannot fault the sq, it's really great. I think people find that more expensive gear will outperform them, but I've never seen a user review in the very negative when not compared to something much pricier.  Its like anything, you can't please everyone, it doesn't matter what's on offer.

They offer a return policy so can't hurt to try! Great gear imo.

neekomax

« Reply #78 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:12 am »

They offer a return policy so can't hurt to try! Great gear imo.

No returns on the clearance items, however.

Rclark

« Reply #79 on: 21 Aug 2011, 07:54 am »
Look, I'll give you my direct experience. Last night (I got my Two.2 back from Virtue several days ago with ClarityCap MR's installed) I played the Rush album Permanent Waves. This was with ERC-2 as transport, XDA-1 as dac and preamp, straight into the Two with silver cables.

I had the full enchilada experience (what I mean by that is, I feel like I've definitely punched through to at least some real level of audiophile sound.). I was BLOWN away. Soundstage, dynamics, texture texture texture, detail, accuracy, musicality, it was like I'd never heard the album before.

I will assure you that there is nothing "mediocre" about Emotiva's sound quality, because I don't feel cheated, I laughed while I was playing the album, like, that's amazing, I can't believe it sounds like that.

I'm sure a good portion of it is my amp, but the source behind it is no slouch. If you are feeling the urge, try them out, you can't lose for the money.

I started last summer with the ERC-1 player. I liked it so much I preordered the XDA-1. I liked that so much I sold my ERC-1 as soon as the 2 was announced and bought that. That's called loyalty. I'm loyal because it is a superior product for the money.

had I not been impressed I'd be talking about much different gear. I'm sure I'll try lots of stuff in my audiophile adventures, but I will never speak badly of Emotiva, unless they lose it somehow.