Pre-amp (tubed?) to pair with nOrh LeAmps?

Johng316

Pre-amp (tubed?) to pair with nOrh LeAmps?
« on: 3 Feb 2011, 05:52 pm »
Hi All,

Thinking of putting together a nice bedroom system and using my nOrh 100 WPC LeAmps.  Speakers undecided, but considering a pair of AV123 ELT-525 towers, maybe others.  Need a pre-amp that I can connect to iPod or CD player.

My criteria:  Cheap, tubed would be fun to play with, compatible with all of the above, and (above all) nice to listen to.  Does not have to be top-grade, thinking of something maybe in $250 or below range to get started.  Remote control is a plus but certainly not a big issue if it comes without. 

Any suggestions on what might be cheap and pair well with the LeAmps?

MaxCast

Johng316

Re: Pre-amp (tubed?) to pair with nOrh LeAmps?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:48 am »
Thanks, Maxcast!  I'll do some reading on this unit and see what I think.  Looks like add a decent CD player and might do well with the LeAmps in the bedroom.

Johng316

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:04 pm »
Hi MaxCast,

I've been doing a little reading on the D1, and it looks like a very nice entry-level tube pre.  I may give this a go.

Sounds silly, but I'm thinking about the ACA 2b and other similar exposed-tube models just so I can watch the tubes glow.  :-p  Has anyone had any recent experiences ordering directly from nOrh?

Hopefully soon I'll be able to take the plunge for a nice bedroom system.

MikeCTM2

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm »
Hi Johng316     What entry-level Tube Pre did you get?       I also have the IRD MB-100s (aka LeAmp)        I ended up getting the Dodd Audio $450 Tube Preamp (as an entry level Tube Preamp).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8551.0

Check out that thread.    someone there said they preferred the Dodd to the ACAb2
And yeah, with the Dodd you can see the little tubes glowin'       6DJ8 (E88CC 6922) white label 7803          i use amperex tubes.