Verita

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Verita
« Reply #80 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:19 pm »
Rick,
I might be confused, but  your website stated the veritas for ported version goes down to F10 35HZ, while this graph indicates F10 of 26HZ. Is this the difference between near field and anechoic measurements? Thanks

Thanks for catching my error - I need to revise that to 26hz. Nearfield measurements are basically the same as anechoic which is the beauty of doing them since you don't need a large anechoic chamber. Sorry for the nasty comments you received when you mentioned our designs in another circle here at AC.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:23 pm »
Nearfield measurements are basically the same as anechoic which is the beauty of doing them since you don't need a large anechoic chamber.
Really?  I ddin't know that. 

Sorry for the nasty comments you received when you mentioned our designs in another circle here at AC.
Please direct me to that.  Linky?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #82 on: 12 Oct 2010, 05:25 pm »
Really?  I ddin't know that. 
Please direct me to that.  Linky?

Yes, in fact the man who wrote the AES paper on nearfield measurements (Don Keele) will be here later this month.  :thumb:

The original posts were deleted by the AC member who made them.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm »
Yes, in fact the man who wrote the AES paper on nearfield measurements (Don Keele) will be here later this month.  :thumb:

Can you link us to the paper that he wrote?  Sounds like an interesting read. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #84 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:48 pm »
Can you link us to the paper that he wrote?  Sounds like an interesting read.

Here's the link to DB Keele's site http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/

The paper is #6 in the "AES papers" section.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: 12 Oct 2010, 07:17 pm »
Here's the link to DB Keele's site http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/

The paper is #6 in the "AES papers" section.

Thanks!  I'll check it out later.   :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #86 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:20 am »
Thanks for catching my error - I need to revise that to 26hz. Nearfield measurements are basically the same as anechoic which is the beauty of doing them since you don't need a large anechoic chamber. Sorry for the nasty comments you received when you mentioned our designs in another circle here at AC.
Im not sure what nasty comments you are  refering. I haven't made any comments regarding your speaker desing anywhere else. You might have confused with some other user.
Anyways Rick, which is the F10 FR for the veritas? 35HZ or 26HZ? I noticed that the Cima, SSR,Grandeur, Prestigio where there F3 are at around 43-45HZ, usually have a F10 at around 34-35HZ. Somehow, the Circondare  and the Veritas have a F10 of 26HZ yet its F3 is still at around 45HZ. Do the Circonrade and Veritas  play deeper and have a flater roll off then the rest of the monitors mentioned?
Thanks
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 09:34 am by ricardojoa »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #87 on: 14 Oct 2010, 05:58 am »
Im not sure what nasty comments you are  refering. I haven't made any comments regarding your speaker desing anywhere else. You might have confused with some other user.
Anyways Rick, which is the F10 FR for the veritas? 35HZ or 26HZ? I noticed that the Cima, SSR,Grandeur, Prestigio where there F3 are at around 43-45HZ, usually have a F10 at around 34-35HZ. Somehow, the Circondare  and the Veritas have a F10 of 26HZ yet its F3 is still at around 45HZ. Do the Circonrade and Veritas  play deeper and have a flater roll off then the rest of the monitors mentioned?
Thanks

Sorry for the late reply - busy preparing for the RMAF show. You had mentioned some of our RAAL designs in the Salk circle. The Verita's F10 is 26hz and I'll update the site next week when I return home. The Circondare and Verita ported versions do have a more extended response as well as the Tempesta.

pslate

« Reply #88 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:35 pm »
Nice to see great comments about the Verita on the AC RMAF thread  :thumb: Wow, just great how this thread took off this year http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86946.0
This format has worked very similarly to the use of volunteer guest bloggers at my national library conference. I hope to go next year and provide images, and maybe the impression of more experienced ears  :green:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio

jomo-6

« Reply #91 on: 4 Jan 2011, 09:39 pm »
Stellar review, congrats  :thumb:
Impressive!  Gratifying to see that the gist of the author's comments are quite consistent with my recently posted impressions on the Circondares (basically a 2.5 way version of the Verita) as well as other Verita reviews within this thread.     

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #92 on: 7 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm »
It's nice to see the Selah name getting out there in some of the higher profile sites. The review pretty much matches what I hear from my Granduer's as well.  :D

Rick,

Looking at the measurements that they published for the Verita's I was wondering if the NRC measurements match up with what you see when you measure them? It seems there is a little more of a high frequency roll off in the NRC measurments. The graph on your website seems flatter than that.

Could the HF roll off explain the reviewer's only area of concern about the lack of air or sparkle?

Just curious.

Chuck

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #93 on: 8 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm »

The NRC measurements are pretty close to mine. Sometimes there can be a deviation due to the measurement microphone used and where it's placed vertically. The Soliloquy speakers tend to have peaking in the top two octaves and that's what the reviewer has used for several years. Here are some NRC measurements of one of their speakers (not the same model but I believe using the same 1" dome) http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/soliloquy_65/

One advantage we have is that we can voice the speaker according to the needs of our customer so I could easily do that with the Verita. As a secret experiment I did this with the pair that shipped to the Audioholics event.  :wink:
It's nice to see the Selah name getting out there in some of the higher profile sites. The review pretty much matches what I hear from my Granduer's as well.  :D

Rick,

Looking at the measurements that they published for the Verita's I was wondering if the NRC measurements match up with what you see when you measure them? It seems there is a little more of a high frequency roll off in the NRC measurements. The graph on your website seems flatter than that.

Could the HF roll off explain the reviewer's only area of concern about the lack of air or sparkle?

Just curious.

Chuck

Mudslide

« Reply #94 on: 8 Jan 2011, 07:53 pm »
The NRC measurements are pretty close to mine. Sometimes there can be a deviation due to the measurement microphone used and where it's placed vertically. The Soliloquy speakers tend to have peaking in the top two octaves and that's what the reviewer has used for several years. Here are some NRC measurements of one of their speakers (not the same model but I believe using the same 1" dome) http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/soliloquy_65/

One advantage we have is that we can voice the speaker according to the needs of our customer so I could easily do that with the Verita. As a secret experiment I did this with the pair that shipped to the Audioholics event.  :wink:

You did a sneaky on us?!   :o  (...and then let me take heat for reporting elements of the Veritas our GTG listeners heard, but that others hadn't?!)  No wonder our measurements didn't match yours.  Bad boy.  Bad.   :wink: 

But ha...I still liked 'em...and still like you.   :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #95 on: 10 Jan 2011, 06:16 pm »
You did a sneaky on us?!   :o  (...and then let me take heat for reporting elements of the Veritas our GTG listeners heard, but that others hadn't?!)  No wonder our measurements didn't match yours.  Bad boy.  Bad.   :wink: 

But ha...I still liked 'em...and still like you.   :D

Well there's quite a bit to discuss here. No harm was intended; however, I didn't say anything because I wanted to get feedback from the RMAF show first before I could comment. I wish you would've published the measurements for all of the speakers, especially at the vertical and horizontal angles where the listeners were placed but I understand that time prohibited that.

Mudslide

« Reply #96 on: 10 Jan 2011, 07:25 pm »
Well there's quite a bit to discuss here. No harm was intended; however, I didn't say anything because I wanted to get feedback from the RMAF show first before I could comment. I wish you would've published the measurements for all of the speakers, especially at the vertical and horizontal angles where the listeners were placed but I understand that time prohibited that.

Hi Rick, and Happy New Year to you!  I hope your 2011 is going splendidly.

Yes, we lacked for time to get all the measurements we wanted.  As it is, these events are an adventure in getting 100 hours worth of work crammed into 10 hours, not counting the hundreds of hours of forum reporting and organizing time.  (In the navy, they call that a blivet...getting 3 lbs. of poop into a 2 lb. bag!   :lol:) Also, because of some understandable manufacturer proprietary concerns, we, the organizers, ended up agreeing to keep all measurements absolutely confidential...except for one to demonstrate the absence of measurable effect from the screening material.  My guess is that you heated up the tweeter just a tad to bring most off-axis listeners a flatter response. 

I really liked the Veritas and would snag a sealed pair if I had the spare change.  Maybe next year.

Good cheer.

guest1632

Re: Verita coming soon...
« Reply #97 on: 11 Jan 2011, 10:32 am »
The custom veneer pair pictured is $2,550/pr. (includes shipping in the mainland USA). The standard finishes (maple,gloss black, cherry) are $2,050/pr.

We can also do a larger ported version for $2,150/pr. (standard finish) or $2,650/pr. (custom). The front baffle can also be veneered and trimmed with hardwood - quotes available upon request.

Hi Rick,

So I gather you basically have three flavors of this new speaker using the metal woover. What is the effect with either of the two ports? What would be the 3DB point down on each of them. Thanks.

Also read the reviews, and the slight concern for the "rolloff" of your tweater. So you fixed that little problem. Sorry am blind so can't see the pics and graphs. Could you give me a quick description of the graphs. Thanks.

Ray Bronk

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #98 on: 11 Jan 2011, 07:27 pm »
Hi Rick,

So I gather you basically have three flavors of this new speaker using the metal woofer. What is the effect with either of the two ports? What would be the 3DB point down on each of them. Thanks.

Also read the reviews, and the slight concern for the "rolloff" of your tweeter. So you fixed that little problem. Sorry am blind so can't see the pics and graphs. Could you give me a quick description of the graphs. Thanks.

Two versions, one sealed and the other ported. We can voice the crossover as needed to fit your listening room and preferences. The sealed box is -3db @ 67hz and ported is 45hz. Both have a gradual rolloff with good bass extension. The pair in the Soundstage review has a slight downward trend in the top octave. We used this pair at the DC and RMAF shows with many people commenting that they sounded very neutral. A few more things to note - though not specific design goals the impedance and phase curves are very flat which makes the load easy to drive. The 45/60/75 degree horizontal curves exhibit very constant directivity for those that think it can only be done with a waveguide. :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #99 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:16 am »
Hi Rick,

So I gather you basically have three flavors of this new speaker using the metal woofer. What is the effect with either of the two ports? What would be the 3DB point down on each of them. Thanks.

Also read the reviews, and the slight concern for the "rolloff" of your tweeter. So you fixed that little problem. Sorry am blind so can't see the pics and graphs. Could you give me a quick description of the graphs. Thanks.

Two versions, one sealed and the other ported. We can voice the crossover as needed to fit your listening room and preferences. The sealed box is -3db @ 67hz and ported is 45hz. Both have a gradual rolloff with good bass extension. The pair in the Soundstage review has a slight downward trend in the top octave. We used this pair at the DC and RMAF shows with many people commenting that they sounded very neutral. A few more things to note - though not specific design goals the impedance and phase curves are very flat which makes the load easy to drive. The 45/60/75 degree horizontal curves exhibit very constant directivity for those that think it can only be done with a waveguide. :thumb:

Hi Rick,

maybe as a suggestion, put a toggle switch in the back plate by the Binding Posts, with the flat response as well as the "rolled off" response." That way, you've given the customer  a choice depending on there listening room.

Ray Bronk