Kitchen sinks

MaxCast

Kitchen sinks
« on: 23 Jun 2008, 11:47 pm »
What type is best suited for noise and scuffs?  I will be redoing the sink soon and was wondering what to go for.  SS is so noisy I've thought about spraying the bottom with truck liner or such.  Is engineered stone quieter or scuff easy?

mjosef

Re: Kitchen sinks
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2008, 11:57 pm »
I have always been partial to enamel cast iron....nice and heavy plus very affordable.
Engineered stone would be quieter than SS and more scuff resistant than Enameled cast iron.

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2008, 12:17 am »
How about concrete?

http://www.concretehabitat.com

And why not go for the full monty and have all the countertops done with this and a custom molded sink designed in? :D  Hold onto your wallets though as this stuff is decidedly not cheap.

I asked them about making a pair of 2" thick 14" x 16" slabs for speaker bases in my office... $190 each!

My neighbor is an architect and brought over some samples, and the stuff is way cool.

-- Jim

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2008, 12:20 pm »
I would love to get a set in sink.  For as much as I am in the kitchen, easy clean up is a nice end.
But we need a new faucet and garbage disposal so I am thinking I can do this for under 1K.  New contertops on the other had would add x4  :(

Eric

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2008, 04:32 pm »
We boght a black granite one at Home Depot. It was very reasonable, and we like it very much

Tim S

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2008, 07:16 pm »

I just built a new house (ok, paid someone else to build it. . .) and got one of the Moen black granite sinks. It is really nice. Cleans much easier than stainless steel and so far seems as though it will be much more durable. It seems quite hard and scuff resistant. Plus they look really great. I would recommend taking a look.

Tim

BobRex

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2008, 07:20 pm »
I put in a Moen quartz sink to match Zodiac countertops.  The sink is quiet and cleans up easily.  Scratches are either non-existant or invisible enough that I can't see them.