quality home stand mixer? better than kitchenaid?

EchiDna

quality home stand mixer? better than kitchenaid?
« on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:07 pm »
Hi Guys,
As bad as it sounds, I'm planing ahead for a Christmas gift for SWMBO.... anything as good as or better than a kitchenaid stand mixer?

give me a recommendation! :)

Bigfish

Re: quality home stand mixer? better than kitchenaid?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:16 pm »
Hi Guys,
As bad as it sounds, I'm planing ahead for a Christmas gift for SWMBO.... anything as good as or better than a kitchenaid stand mixer?

give me a recommendation! :)

I gave my wife one of the Kitchen ProLine Stand Mixers 12 to 15 years ago.  She bakes quite often as she is always selected to make the cakes for birthdays and other events at the office where she works.  I bought her the model with the lever on the side that raises the bowl rather than the one where the mixer tilts up and down.  It is built like a tank and she has told me many times if something were to happen to it she would have to have a direct replacement.  I think some of the pros on the food channel are now using a mixer, made similar to the Kitchen Aid by Viking.

Good Luck,

Ken

Thebiker

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:29 pm »
I'm married to a lady that likes to bake her own bread from scratch :drool:.  She swears by her big honking Kitchen Aid.  I'm talking about a unit that does all the dough kneading for 2 to 3 loaves at a time.  It is probably the same model as Bigfish is talking about.

I use it occasionally when I make Belgian Waffles and it makes short work of that light work, four egg whites whipped in no time at all.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:36 pm »
My wife has the same one we bought 15 years ago.  It still works great and there are lots of cool attachments.  She is a great baker and I am fat as a result. 

Cheers,

J

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:56 pm »
http://www.spoilthecook.com/bosch/Bosch-Universal-Mixer-w-Stainless-Bowl.html

You need both the steel and the plastic bowl but its a great mixer  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:02 pm »
not sure what you need that a kitchenaid does not offer.  My mom had had the same one for 20 years. 

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:25 pm »
Pavallier makes a nice mixer, but they're more expensive than a Kitchenaid and don't have as many attachments. I've used my KSM5 Kitchenaid for almost 20 years to mix doughs and batters, grind sausage and burger meat and make juices. The Kitchenaid Professional is also a great unit with a 450-575 watt motor (depending on weather you buy the 5 or the 600), although something around 350 watts should do fine for most. When you make your purchase, be sure pay attention to the wattage rating for the motor... not all Kitchenaids are created equal!

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2008, 07:44 pm »
Vintage Hobart era, maybe a restored K45....much nicer than the new stuff :thumb:

spudco

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2008, 09:21 pm »
I've had my Kitchenaid for 20 years and I use it all the time.

I make bread for our home 1-2 time a week.  I occasionally make cakes.

I made bread for neighbors (8-10 loafs) at least once a month and often weekly for many years.

I used to grind the grains for my home brewing - most I made was 85 gallons in a single year.

It has been a beast and I would recommend any of their models except the entry level one.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2008, 10:31 pm »
Hobart/Kitchen Aid has been around for many years. Heres my favorite, a 60 qt Hobart.

EchiDna

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2008, 04:27 am »
 :o

well I wasn't quite expecting the ratio of kitchen aid lovers to be quite so tilted, but from this I'm guessing the consensus is strong at this point... my biggest issue is getting one here as they only seem to do the artisan or 1 'pro' model (not sure which one though). Will be sure to check on the wattage :)

Currently been using a plastic thing we were given as a wedding or engagement present about 10 years back and it's looking quite tired after blending 2 kids worth of baby food and cakes etc at least once a week during that time... Lastly, it just doesn't suit sitting next to the 4 slice duolit toaster and the Rancillio Silvia and Rocky :)

stylistically I also like the benchtop Hobart N50 but at about $1800, it's a tad pricey!

some young guy

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2008, 05:00 am »
Hobart/Kitchen Aid has been around for many years. Heres my favorite, a 60 qt Hobart.

So this fits nicely next to your four slice toaster?

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2008, 09:21 am »
I like my kitchenaid mixer, which has 325 watts.  I think it's good, but sometimes it can lack power.  I'd go for a higher powered version.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2008, 12:04 pm »

So this fits nicely next to your four slice toaster?

I only have a 2 slice toaster.  :green:  Working in a bake shop, at least 40 hrs a week, the last thing I wanna do is bake at home. N50s are nice, but , in my experience, prone to need repair more frequently than other Hobart models. You might keep your eye out for a used 20qt. They are the absolute workhorse for the industry as well as taking all the accessories available. The Chinese have even made a knock off of it and there are non-Hobart accessories made for it as well. Restaurant and bakery auctions have been the cheapest way to aquire them. Ebay has some decent deals every now and then. The counter model 110v model is the most prevalent and would fit right in with the Duolit, Silvia, and Rocky.