Bargain price on a rated summer white wine.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Bargain price on a rated summer white wine.
« on: 20 Jun 2008, 01:52 pm »
I have never had it before but I just ordered a case of 2004 Wild Bunch.  Wine Enthusiast gave it an 85.  That's not all that good but it's not bad either.  The kicker is that it got a rating at all at under $6 a bottle.  We are talking cooking wine price at $5.89.  From the description, it sounds like a great summer picnic wine (well chilled) for all the Wolf Trap shows coming up.   :wine:

http://www.winechateau.com/sku17700.html  bunchwhite promo code gets you free shipping.

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Bargain price on a rated summer white wine.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:37 am »
hi rim,

any recommendations for a good inexpensive red wine?  i like bordeaux's like margaux, but $30+ per bottle is a bit off-putting...   :lol:

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2008, 05:25 am »
Rim....

I came across this last night....might be of interest.... :thumb:

Link....

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2008, 09:24 pm »
Rim,

It is a good, enjoyable wine. We had it a few times and paid around $8-$9 a bottle but it was probably a newer vintage. Our favorite moderately priced white is Pacific Rim Reisling, it's marketed as a dry reisling but there is a little sweetness to it.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2008, 11:25 pm »
hi rim,

any recommendations for a good inexpensive red wine?  i like bordeaux's like margaux, but $30+ per bottle is a bit off-putting...   :lol:

doug s.

Go down to the Bethesda Trader Joe's Chevy Chase/Rockville or Silver Spring (or if there is a closer one to you) and get the cheapest Chianti they have...yes, the one in the cheesy, old-style Italian cask 8) I think it's $6.99 or something.

I am certainly no Oenophile, but I think it's as good as anything I've had  :thumb:

European wines tend to have slightly less alcohol content (more often closer to 12 then 13% as it tends to be with America brands) and I like the 'finish' with the European brands myself because of it.

I only drink red wine (no white, beer or hard stuff).  So long as you're gonna' kill your liver, you may as well help your heart  :lol:

A little tough to find a good selection of European brands around here in San Fran (an hour south of Napa and Sonoma counties), but Trader Joe's is a great find (for so many things).  John

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2008, 02:13 am »
I only drink red wine (no white, beer or hard stuff).  So long as you're gonna' kill your liver, you may as well help your heart  :lol:

There is some thought that alcohol alone (regardless of red wine, beer, the "hard stuff") helps.  There are others who think that epidemioligical studies of the kind that indicate alcohol helps are not reliable.  I'm not sure what camp I'm in, but I've taken to drinking more red wine along with the hard stuff and less beer.  (By "more", I mean I've switched more to red wine than beer; I'm actually drinking less -- calories, you know.)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:13 pm »
Rim....

I came across this last night....might be of interest.... :thumb:

Link....

Thanks Chris for the link.  He lists good wines but I see that his quoted prices are too high.  I have had a couple of those on the list and I know I paid less then what he says.  I get a suspicion that he gets wine for less then what he quotes on paper.  My limit is $75 a bottle as apposed to $150 on that article.  I am always on the lookout for great wine from a lesser known winery.  Anybody can pay $500 for a great bottle of wine but less then $75 on "collectables" usually rated 95 to a 100 on most publications is what I try to do.  I scored '01 Valdicava (Brunello) and '04 Saffredi (Super Tuscan) on futures that way.  From my perspective, I think drinkable wines can be from $10 to $25.  $25 to $40 I would want real good ones.  $40 to $75 better be great.  Just like in audio, I just don't want to pay for a fully valuated label.  I want to pay for the wine but not the premium due to it's past glories.  For example I will never buy a d'Yquem no matter how good it may be (2007 future is around $600 per bottle).  I would look for a Guiraud on a good year which could come close to d'Yquem at 10th a price. 

Doug,

Left bank Bordeaux is a Cab/Merlot blend.  You can find the same blend in Napa wines for less some times.  You may actually find a deal on 2000 Bordeaux's.  I think the previously designated vintage of the century has been eclipsed by 2005.  I have seen some lesser known 2000s that have come down in price now that it's no longer the vintage in demand.  Have a GTG and I will bring some red wine. :wink:

TCG,

I think I first saw Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's.  It's hit or miss but you can get good value when you hit it.   :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:27 pm »
We have a wine store nearby called "Stew Leonards". They post signs on bottles showing their ratings, when they are rated. But they also post signs that read "employees choice". These are usually bottles sold at less than $15, and so far every one of these that I have tried I have liked, a lot.

If your local wine store doesn't already do this, you might want to ask the proprietor to give it a shot. The patrons will have more of a clue what to buy, and the store will sell more of these and get their employees to make informed suggestions to boot.

Enjoy,
Bob

Ray Collins

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:54 pm »
Try a Robert Mondavi Private Selection Pinot Noir for about 8$ to $12 (depending on whether or not it is on sale).  While not a pure, unblended pinot (76% pinot) it is very drinkable and has become our "house" wine at home.

Ray

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:56 pm »
Bob, the Stew Leonards store there in Farmingdale was supposed to be a full-on grocery store, but the folks at Republic airport put up too much of a stink for them to do it.  Too bad - their grocery stores are fantastic.

I work with the Stew Leonards chain for a bunch of years now and have heard the travails of opening that store for many years.

At least you get to enjoy some of the Stew Leonards excellence.

John (Syosset and Oyster Bay resident 1968-1994  :thumb:)

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:02 pm »
John, I didn't know you were so close. Why weren't you at the rave this past Saturday in Lindenhurst?

Lets get together, listen to some audio and open a bottle of decent wine. PM me if you're game.

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:16 pm »
Rim,

It is a good, enjoyable wine. We had it a few times and paid around $8-$9 a bottle but it was probably a newer vintage. Our favorite moderately priced white is Pacific Rim Reisling, it's marketed as a dry reisling but there is a little sweetness to it.

Len,

Good to know.  I have real trouble with sweetness in wines that are not supposed to be sweet.  Turning Leaf is about borderline for me. Anyway, with ice cooler in tow, I am thinking I can over-chill the fruitiness out of Wild Bunch if I have to at a picnic. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:17 pm »
delete for duplication.  :oops:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2008, 06:04 pm »
John, I didn't know you were so close. Why weren't you at the rave this past Saturday in Lindenhurst?

Lets get together, listen to some audio and open a bottle of decent wine. PM me if you're game.

Bob

Bob - I left there in 1994.  I still have family and friends all over Long Island (Farmingdale, Cold Spring, Roslyn, Commack, Manorville, Syosset, Stony Brook to name a few...  :wink:)

I would absolutely be a regular fixture at the NYAR if I were still there (Washington DC 1994-2002, 2002-present here in San Fran).  One never really loses the NY-uniqueness....you just sorta' blend in with the locals a bit better over time.  So, I follow the NYAR circle anytime something is posted.

A great thing this internet is.....you can physically leave somewhere without losing the tether than binds you completely.  I still get the Sunday New York Times, too  :)

John