Where can you get a good blender?

jrebman

Where can you get a good blender?
« on: 11 Jun 2008, 08:38 pm »
I hate blenders.  I actually like the things you can do with them but anymore they are just crap and fall apart in a week.  I've burned through two kitchen aids and 2 warings in the past couple of years and although they lasted a bit longer than I describe, they quickly got to the point where they needed to be coaxed along and otherwise treated very tenderly.

I'm not abusing these things either -- just some smoothies and protein drinks, and basics like that -- not trying to make dough or any of those other things the makers make rediculous claims about.

We did have use of a giant $550 Vitamix for several months, and that indeed will do all those things -- I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't mix concrete in those things -- but they are very expensive, huge (take up a lot of valuable counter space), are a PITA to clean (despite what the demonstrations claim) and you have to make huge batches of anything to make them economical.  Yes, they have the little baby ones too, but they still have a lot of the cleaning issues, and are actually too small for most things.

What's the deal?  Is there a decent blender out there that will do the normal things a blender is supposed to do, won't cost a fortune and won't be headed for the landfill in a couple of months?

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. -- Thanks Scott and Edward -- great circle!

mcgsxr

Re: Where can you get a good blender?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2008, 08:59 pm »
We ate a couple of regular blenders over a 4 year period, and my friend's Vitamix continues to go strong.  Too much dough for what we use a blender for, but in reviewing the technology, it appears to me (and the way that my other blenders have failed) that the metal on metal base to cup helps tremendously.

I bought a Black and Decker with a metal to metal connection, and it has made us happy for 6 months so far.

Yes, I am aware that the metal to metal in the Vitamix is superior, because there is no plastic supporting that metal, as there likely is in my cheaper B&D, but to date it holds strong, and can mince ice.

Just my experience,

mca

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:21 pm »
Maybe the Waring commercial blenders will hold up better?

http://www.waringproducts.com/com/

some young guy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:24 pm »
Maybe the Waring commercial blenders will hold up better?

http://www.waringproducts.com/com/
I was going to make the same suggestion. I've had the BB900G for about 17 years and it's still spinning fine.

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:51 pm »
Yes, I'll have to look into that a bit more but they won't give you a price unless you sign up for an account on their site.

One of those Waring/NuBlend commercial units seems to be just what I'm looking for -- thanks for the recommendations.

-- Jim