How do you make a burger?

Dan Driscoll

How do you make a burger?
« on: 5 Jun 2008, 08:45 pm »
So that Scott has at least one thread running when he takes up his new duties...  :D

How do you like to make your burgers? IMO a good burger needs fat, and a lot of it, at least 30%. I've cut in butter to boost the fat content, plus it adds a wonderful flavor. I also like to put in a little Worcestershire, salt, pepper and occasionally a touch of garlic powder. I work with the meat cold and don't overwork it or pack the patties to tightly when forming them. I also like to put the raw patties back in the fridge for 30-60 minutes after making them.

I prefer to grill them (over charcoal, of course), but if circumstances don't allow that I will fry them over med-high heat in a cast iron pan. I prefer medium (somewhat pink middle) for burgers. I strongly believe that heat and fat are necessary, you need to get that good sear that makes a burger really taste great.

Dress with lettuce, tomato, red onion, ketchup & mustard on a lightly toasted bun. I like potato bread buns. A good, crisp kosher dill pickle and some Cajun potato salad on the side make a great summer meal.  :drool:

Dan Driscoll

Re: How do you make a burger?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2008, 08:45 pm »
Deleted

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2008, 09:12 pm »
 :drool:
I like using ground beef and ground bison, adding chopped celery, garlic, onion, and special seasoning (Montreal Steak Spice).

Fry it up on Propane, 'cause thats all I have....and serve on a kaiser with a pickle, tomatoe chedder relish and ketchup.
mmmm

sbrtoy

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2008, 09:40 pm »
Buffalo burgers all the way!!

Especially yummy is buffalo with blue cheese crumbles and A1 mixed in!

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2008, 10:25 pm »
First I grill some slab bacon. Then I grill some big fat onion slices. Then comes 2 1/4 pound hamberger patties. When everything is almost done, I assemble it right on the grill. On top of the first patty, I pile the big slice of onion. Then I put on the second patty and put on the bacon (2) strips makes an X. Then a nice slice of provalone cheese. Let that melt. Toast both sides of the bun. Add pickles, ketchup and mustard. Then a little shot of Mayo.

Yummy! They are also big burgers! Of course, I eat 2 of them!

Wayner

some young guy

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm »
I get myself some nice fatty beef chuck, cut it into 1"-2" strips, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate over night. The next day, I grind the strips (twice) and make the patties. I like to render some good apple wood smoked bacon, then use the fat to caramelize some white onions. I'll either bbq the burgers or wait until the onions are almost done, then put the burgers in with them. While the burgers get crispy on the outside, I make the "secret sauce"... mayo, mustard, ketchup, dill relish, tabasco and a little love. I like potato rolls, onion rolls, kaiser rolls, rye bread etc. I'm actually partial to good old American cheese when it comes to burgers, unless it's a patty melt, then it's all about the Swiss. If I'm really getting into it, I'll make some pickled red onions too, but that doesn't happen too often.

To finish: I griddle the buns with butter, sauce 'em, place the cheeseburger, heap on the onions, stack the bacon, more sauce... EAT!  :drool:

Turnandcough

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm »
I like using ground beef and ground bison, adding chopped celery, garlic, onion, and special seasoning (Montreal Steak Spice).

Fry it up on Propane, 'cause thats all I have....and serve on a kaiser with a pickle, tomatoe chedder relish and ketchup.
mmmm
For me a burger isn't a burger without Montréal Steak Spice (and cheddar). Maybe that's because I've been eating them that way all my life.   
I like to use regular ground beef(not lean) with some chopped onions, Worchestershire and of course MSS.
I dress the burgers with whatever I happen to have in the fridge - sometimes just fried onions and chili sauce(ketchup) other times all dressed with mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, pickels and sliced onions. When I'm in the mood for something spicy I mix a healthy amount of Sriracha or Sambal Olek sauce with some mayo for a delicious Volcano Burger. It may sound strange but it tastes great.
I have a propane grill but am now using it mostly with charcoal. I pour the charcoal on the metal dissipater in the bottom and fire up the grill. When the charcoal is lit I turn off the gas. The next day I use a vacuum cleaner to remove the ashes. 

some young guy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2008, 10:54 pm »

mmmm
For me a burger isn't a burger without Montréal Steak Spice (and cheddar). Maybe that's because I've been eating them that way all my life.   
I like to use regular ground beef(not lean) with some chopped onions, Worchestershire and of course MSS.
I dress the burgers with whatever I happen to have in the fridge - sometimes just fried onions and chili sauce(ketchup) other times all dressed with mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, pickels and sliced onions. When I'm in the mood for something spicy I mix a healthy amount of Sriracha or Sambal Olek sauce with some mayo for a delicious Volcano Burger. It may sound strange but it tastes great.
I have a propane grill but am now using it mostly with charcoal. I pour the charcoal on the metal dissipater in the bottom and fire up the grill. When the charcoal is lit I turn off the gas. The next day I use a vacuum cleaner to remove the ashes. 

I like the sambal or sriracha mayo idea.  :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:35 pm »
Some very good ideas cookin' here.
I usually toss in some thyme, whearchasersire sauce, and garlic.  I like white American cheese, from Wisconsin of course.  :)
One time I chopped dill pickels, chopped onions, added garlic, and wher sauce mixed like a meat loaf and froze them.  Took them camping and put them on the fire.  Toasted some garlic bread in foil around the fire.   Put the burger on the garlic bread...the best burger I ever had.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:52 pm »
I chip one off the end of the stack of patties in the plastic bag and slap it on the grill.  Very easy! :green:

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:58 pm »
Two wide, thin patties.   Chop up some onion and/or garlic and maybe some jalapeño.   Put that on the first patty with a slice of cheese.  Then put the other patty on top and pinch the patties together.   Cook on grill *carefully* so as not to crack them open.   We call them 'scummies'.   One of my favorite burgers is a burger with sour cream and jalapeños.   

Turnandcough

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:26 am »

Oh, and I almost forgot a side dish of poutine http://www.montrealpoutine.com/?recipes. Made with proper fries - i.e. red potatoes blanched first at 325° F so they soak up enough oil and then fried a second time at 375° F, then topped with the freshest possible cheddar cheese curds and gravy.

Bigfish

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:40 am »
The real key to a good burger is in starting with a very high quality ground chuck.  I like to make the patties by hand and estimate around 6 ounces of meat per pattie.  I always grind sea salt and black pepper on each side of the patties.  Sometimes I will saute some chopped onion and add it to the meat before making the patties.  I don't like raw onion so I never add uncooked onion to the meat prior to cooking and I never use sliced onion when I prepare the buns for eating. 

I cook my burgers over Cowboy brand of Lump Charcoal in a Grill Dome Grill (competitor to Big Green Egg) at approximately 500 F.  Cook to individual preference but I prefer mine cooked to the point that there is just a slight bit of pink in the very center (no blood).  Just prior to the burgers being ready to remove fromt the grill I toast the buns on the grill. There is nothing like charcoal flavored buns and homemade burgers!  Man, I am getting hungry.

Ken

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:54 am »
Don't pat the pad down...don't touch it...leave it be until done to your satisfaction.

Pat the pad - kill the burger  :(

Everything else, in and outside, is open to interpretation  :wink:

John

MaxCast

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2008, 03:06 am »
Then again, forget the grill.  Smash some ground round, a bit of Vadallia, salt and pepper between some rye and call er good.  aa

some young guy

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2008, 04:24 am »
Then again, forget the grill.  Smash some ground round, a bit of Vadallia, salt and pepper between some rye and call er good.  aa
Oh man!  :drool: I do kind of have a thing about tartar...  :drool:

Maybe we can start a raw meat thread.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2008, 05:33 am »
Damn nice post.  Glad it's summer.  Believe I will indeed!

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2008, 11:10 am »
I think this may be the best burger I've ever had (cooked, of course, over chunck charcoal):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_10214,00.html

I didn't use a food processor, though.  Instead, I used a meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer.  There's nothing in this recipe other than beef and salt, and it's fantastic.

spudco

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:30 pm »
We shop at a local butcher that supplies all the fire houses in our area (firefighters love to eat and they often eat very well).  We get our burger blend from them and it is half chuck and half sirloin loosely ground.  Great flavor with enough fat about 25-30% to be very juicy.

I like to add a little kosher salt to the meat prior to cooking.  I work gently with the ground beef blend.

I like LARGE patties - 7-8 oz.  I form them quickly, with as little handling as possible.  They are fairly "loose" and just barely hold together.

I like to grill them HOT, but also like to use a very hot iron skillet if the weather is poor.  Both ways work well - but be sure to have you exhaust vent going strong if you cook them indoors.

Put the patties on the grill or in the skillet and leave them alone.  Cook about 4-5 minutes depending on how done you like your burger.   and turn once, leave them alone to finish and remove to a plate and lightly salt and pepper.  I personally cook to medium rare but that is not "safe" enough for some folks.

We eat 2 basic burger variations - regular and aloha...

All are served on a lightly oiled or buttered and toasted bun - the best quality bun you can find.  I often make my own and sometimes use a sour dough bun for aloha burgers.  I also like my buns to have sesame seeds.  Sometimes I rub a little garlic on the buns before toasting.

Regular burgers are dressed with mayo, lettuce, tomato and onion.  My wife also likes to add a good sharp cheddar.  I'm less of a cheese burger guy.

Aloha burgers are dressed with mayo, pickled onions and cabbage (thinly sliced red onion and cabbage are "quick pickled" in a light brine with sugar and rice vinegar for about 30 minutes), a pineapple slice and either cheddar or blue cheese.  Lettuce is optional.

Side dishes can include fries (with blue cheese dressing), slaw, pasta salad or beans and franks. 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:31 pm »
I don't eat beef...so my burger choices are turkey (fairly common here in Cali) and lamb (quite a bit less common - I normally have to prepare myself).

Smoke bothers both my wife and I, so we never cook on a grill.  Fortunately, both in this house and the previous, we've had fine (gas) cooktops to use.  This one has an uber-cool Wolf range...and it really cooks well!

Anyhow, my lamb-urger recipe apes the best one I ever had in some wayward restaurant in Toronto about 10 years ago. Yummy.

It's...

* 1/2 pound of lamb (lamb is pretty fatty so it cooks down smaller by the end)
* Finely chopped onions (about a 1/5 of a bulb) and coarse kosher salt (or sea salt or pink salt - whatever :roll:)
* Dried or fresh rosemary (or 'Italian' seasoning)
* Feta cheese (goat or sheep feta only, inserted into the patty middle to provide moistness that is lost when cooking)
* A dash of red wine (slathered on top of the patty in the last minute it's cooking in the cast iron pan)
* Garlic (doesn't agree with me well, so I often skip that or use very sparingly)

......and NEVER pat the patty.  NEVER  :wink:

Lamb needs to be well cooked....not less than medium (I slightly prefer medium/well).  I prefer it on two slices of 100% whole rye that's been slightly softened in the pan with the patty and a dash of Heinz (always organic) ketchup.

Yummy, phenomenal, so good it is. You can do all the same with beef too, but the final result is not the same - the gaminess of lamb really adds the texture and flavor needed.

Lamb is a bit of a foreign meat to many of you I know, and so many ways of cooking lamb are absolutely abysmal that many have had bad experiences with it (I'm Greek, so it's been cooked right for my whole life at family functions).

A feta-and-onion lamburger is like no other and it leaves regular hamburgers of any kind in the dust (I did eat beef up until 5 years ago so I have comparisons)

Bon appetit - John