Options for the RM40?

SWG255

Options for the RM40?
« on: 21 Oct 2003, 08:34 pm »
Greetings:
I've been reading everything I can find on the VMPS RM40s, and i've contacted Dynamic Sound in D.C. and hope to make an appointment to hear them soon. Meanwhile I have some questions about the recommended options for the RM40.

1. What is the benefit of the FST? Is it for vertical dispersion only?
2. Are there any benefits in purchasing and using the pedastals for the RM40s?
3.  I'm planning to get the TRT cap upgrade and the FST, should I consider an upgrade to the internal wiring too? If so, to which wire and how much will it cost?
4. Which options  (in what order) benefit the sound of the RM40 the most? In other words, would you get the best sound from:
the TRT upgrade
the FST
better internal wiring

Thanks.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
Options for the RM40?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2003, 01:59 am »
Hello,

Glad to hear you're going to audition some VMPS!  To briefly answer your questions:

1. The FST has an improved response over the spiral ribbon.  Measured, the FST is more efficient, crosses over lower than the spiral ribbon (7k vs 10k), and audibly a more natural tone.  Some listeners do report improved detail, while others say the FST is no more resolving.  My opinion is the improvement in detail is system dependent, though the FST does have the potential to be more resolving.

2. The pedestals are included with a new pair of RM40 (no additional cost).  The benefits of the wider bases are primarily for stability reasons, as previous RM40 owners had slight concerns regarding stability.  With the added inch on either side, the RM40 is much more stable and tipping is no longer a concern (unless you run into a speaker head first!)

3. Upgrades to the wiring is largely a matter of taste and preference.  I think the TRT upgrade is far more "bang for the buck" versus the Analysis Plus, but this is strictly on my experience with speaker wire and non-VMPS speakers.  I would place the wiring upgrades on my list of final steps of refinement, once everything else is in place.  Other speaker wire options may be available; if you prefer a certain manufacturer I would think Brian would be willing to wire your pair so long as you supply the cabling.  Best advice on this one is to discuss with Brian, as you want to ensure you choice of cabling won't effect the voicing of the speaker/crossover.

4. Well, this is tricky to answer, as every upgrade plays off the other upgrades.  Imagine a speaker as a little system, with a series of bottlenecks.  Every upgrade changes / shifts the bottleneck of performance.  Therefore the FST will sound better with the TRT caps, and the TRT caps will be more noticable with the FST.  I am not sure what your budget dictactes, but I think the TRT and FST should be a must, with the wiring a distant third.  I think the FST makes a more dramatic impact for $400, but in all rights the FST+TRT upgrades improve the standard RM40 enough that I don't think they should have the same model designation.

Hope this helps, and please post your listening impressions.

Kind Regards,

Rup

SWG255

Options for the RM40?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2003, 02:47 am »
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize the pedastals are now standard for the RM40. This sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks too for the explanation of the FST and the TRT upgrades. Right now, if I go with the RM40, I am planning to get both the TRT and FST upgrades. I'll probably forget the internal speaker wire upgrade for now, I think i'm going to have enough trouble with the external speaker wire!

John Casler

Options for the RM40?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2003, 04:26 am »
There is no doubt that the most "effective" and "cost effective" upgrade is the FST option. :thumb:

After that either the TRT or Auricaps provide the icing on the cake.  :wink: