Search for an Integrated Amplifier

denjo

Search for an Integrated Amplifier
« on: 4 Jan 2008, 12:15 am »
I have owned a YBA Integre DT for the past 6 years and use it as a bedroom setup. Recently, I unhooked it to dust the shelves and took the opportunity to see how it sounded with my Thiel CS2.4 floorstanders. The Integre DT is rated at 50 w into 8 ohms and 90 into 4. As some may know, my reference amplifiers are the CIAudio D*200 or Sanders ESL 300, the former packing almost 400 w into 4 ohms and the latter 600 into 4. I thought the figures would mean the YBA Integre would have a hard time driving my Thiels and would probably clip at my usual listening levels of 80 dB. Surprise #1: the YBA Integre did not clip and has not yet clipped, even on complex orchestral music. Surprise #2: the YBA Integre sounded very musical and drew me into the music in a way that neither the CIAudio or Sanders did. I sat for hours listening to my familiar tracks, once in a while drifting to slumber and waking up wondering if I was in the middle of a jazz club or music hall! Timbral accuracy through the YBA Integre was outstanding. It woke me up to the realisation that a good audio equipment is about the quality and not quantity of the watts, and can be achieved with as simple a set up as an integrated amplifier and not always with the pre/power separates only. Visiting the YBA website I cannot help but observe that they refer to YBA equipment as "Our instruments" rather than "Products" and appreciate why Sam Tellig talks about "restitution" rather than "reproduction" of sound when writing about YBA gear. Truly, the YBA Integre is like a finely crafted violin or well made piano.

I am told that the YBA Passion 300 is even better sounding, with twice the power of my Integre DT. I would be happy to hear responses from fellow AudioCirclers who are existing YBA owners or others who have heard the Integre/Passion in a third party's system.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2008, 01:09 am by denjo »

Wind Chaser

Re: YBA Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2008, 12:32 am »
Here goes...

I borrowed the Audio Refinement equivalent less one transformer from a friend.  A few days later I bring it back to him and we plug a cheap T amp into his system.  Convinced something is terribly wrong he sends the YBA back to Plurison to have them fix it.  They sent it back and said there's nothing wrong with it.  He flogs it and explores the world of tubes.

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2008, 01:18 am »
Having heard both the Audio Refinement and the YBA DT on many occasions, at a friends store, I can say the YBA DT is an ENTIRELY different animal than the Audio Refinement. The latter simply outperforms the  former in every department. This after prolonged listening by quite a few people.
 You're not exactly slumming with the DT!
 Whether you'll prefer it to tubes or not, who knows!?
                                                                                         Don
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2008, 08:17 pm by doorman »

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 02:45 am »
I've only auditioned a YBA amp once and that was at least 10-12 years ago. I don't remember the model, but it was $3,500 to $4,000 back then. When I plugged it in, I was stunned. It was the most musical solid state amp I had ever heard, but I just couldn't afford to keep it...  :( 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:20 am »
denjo....
You might take a look here.......for the YBA Passion 200 integrated, 70 watts/channel integrated amp at the July '07 Rave...a few comments towards the end... :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:49 am »
Hi Chris
Thanks for your kind help in posting the link! I have actually read that link as well as another Rave that was held which pitted the YBA Passion 300 (the 100 watter) with the Marantz Integrated. I believe one of our AudioCirclers (Hogg aka Jim) has some experience with the Passion 300 but it seems he has gone the Jadis-way! I would love to hear from someone with an indepth view and experience of the strengths (and weaknesses) of the Passion 300.

Many thanks,

Best Regards
Dennis

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2008, 09:18 am »
Dennis...

Jim/Hogg has/had the YBA 200....he may still have it. He has a nice collection... 8)

Check with him. Good luck......... :thumb: 

Chris

denjo

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2008, 09:29 am »
Hi Chris

Took your advice and dropped Hogg (Jim) a pm.
Many thanks,

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:30 am »
Thanks all for your views!

2007 has been a challenging year for me as I wrestled with countless swops between two fine amplifiers and two excellent preamplifiers, hurting my back late last year while I tried to fool myself that I was still young and able to heave a 50 lb weight all on my own! You can appreciate the permutations of 2+2. While these audio equipments were excellent in their own respects, I am sure some of you can relate with me the pernicious hold of "audio nervosa" and the consequent side effects it has on one's physiological being! Even my longsuffering better half and two sons were aware of the constant change of audio partners that came and left my audio shelf, and quietly tolerated the perennial mess of equipment and cables lying nearby! Although there were moments when I felt that I had seen a glimpse of that illusive audio nirvana that all of us strive to reach, the moment of joy was usually shortlived as human doubt and the restless pursuit of better sound reared their ugly heads and caused me to question if I could live contentedly with the system as it was. The night's listening glory was often shattered the next day with an urge to try something new and the cycle repeats itself - sheer ecstasy and moments of desperate despair!

As blessings would have it, certain events happened that forced me to take stock of things and reconsider my priorities, gently persuading me back to reality and the appreciation that the most important goal was for me to simply sit back and enjoy the listening! First, the original seller of one of my two preamplifiers emailed me and asked if I still owned the unit and if so, whether I might consider selling him back the unit. My orginal impulse was to say "no" since the audio equipment in question was no longer manufactured and the part of me that wanted so much to possess a piece of audio history and the fine craftsmanship it represented prevailed, at least for a while. Second, while I was dusting my audio shelf in the bedroom and with the YBA Integre DT completely uncabled, I wondered if this unassuming amplifier could drive my Thiels to satisfactory levels and tingle my audio senses! When the YBA Integre was hooked up to my mighty Thiels, I glanced at the dimunitive Integre and the extra space where hitherto a pre and power proudly sat as it powered my fussy Thiels. Gingerly I cranked the volume up from zero - 7:30, 8, 8:30, 9, 9:30 .... all ears pricked to sense the slightest distortion that hinted at clipping. It sounded quite nice! With bolstered courage, I crank the volume further ... 10:00, 10:30, 11, 11:30 and briefly at 12! The SPL was already quite loud (probably past 100 dB) - way louder than my normal listening levels. I backed down to 10/10:30 and sat at disbelief that my music was sounding so musical with an integrated amplifier!! Its almost as if I felt an integrated amplifier had no right to sound so good and powerful! With ears still on red alert, I questioned the conventional wisdom of "bigger is better" and pre/power as mandatory requirements of entering the gates of audio nirvana! I then started this thread to gather views from fellow YBA Integre owners and scoured the internet to learn more about current YBA gear. The YBA Integre is now part of the Passion series and comes in 3 versions, the Passion 100 (basically what I have), the Passion 200 (70 w into 8 ohms) and Passion 300 (100 into 8). Helpful AudioCircler Jim opined that the Passion is a definite step up from the Integre DT. Audiogoner WannerH, a long time owner of YBA Integre gear (and now into SET magic) advised me to "Go for it!" Bolstered, I might just do it!

The YBA Integre DT has been powering my Thiels for the last week without fuss or attention. I have been more relaxed than before and less inclined to tweak here and there. In fact, I have been doing something quite oxymoronic - simply sitting back and enjoying my music listening! I'm not sure why I feel so relaxed - part of me says the system is non-fatiguing but I think the main reason is that I feel "free" with this integrated. As to why I feel less inclined to tweak here and there, perhaps its because there is less to tweak - one less interconnect, one less power cord, one less equipment on my rack. Perhaps its because there is really nothing in music that I would like to change other than what it sounds now.

I am sure it is not perfect but I don't care! I cannot believe I said, "I don't care!"

My New Year resolution is to simplify things - not just in audio but hopefully in the other areas of my life and hopefully by "freeing" myself, enjoy more of the things that truly matter!

I wish all AudioCirclers a year of enriching and enjoyable listening!

Best Regards
Dennis

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:49 am »
Dennis....
I am sure it is not perfect but I don't care! I cannot believe I said, "I don't care!"

Just remember the words of Bobby McFerrin....."don't worry, be happy !!" :D

Happy listening..... :beer:

denjo

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:39 am »
Chris
You are absolutely right and thanks for the reminder!  :D
Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2008, 03:57 pm »
Heard the YBA Passion 100 Integre today. Although same wattage rating as YBA Integre DT, The Passion 100 sounds very much more powerful andy dynamic!!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:04 pm »
Heard the YBA Passion 100 Integre today. Although same wattage rating as YBA Integre DT, The Passion 100 sounds very much more powerful andy dynamic!!

And your past quote....

Helpful AudioCircler Jim opined that the Passion is a definite step up from the Integre DT.

.........  :wink: :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:15 pm »
Dennis,

Love this topic...and love those YBA amps.  If I ever went back to SS amps, YBA would be it.  They are truly outstanding stuff (I heard the dedicated 50 watt amp years ago on a hi-end Focal speaker and was stunned with the sound quality).

Quote from: Denjo
2007 has been a challenging year for me as I wrestled with countless swops between two fine amplifiers and two excellent preamplifiers, hurting my back late last year while I tried to fool myself that I was still young and able to heave a 50 lb weight all on my own

My friend, you need not yearn for the years lost, you need a Magna Cart™  :wink:

John

denjo

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2008, 03:18 am »
Chris
Indeed Jim was right about the Passion vs DT!

John
Thanks for the thumbs on YBA gear! Yes, those Magna Carts would have been great  for heaving those behemoth amps! Could really do well with one of those carts in the house!

Thanks very much guys!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2008, 07:41 am »
For anyone out there who, like me, wants to simplify his music system for 2008, and has been thinking of "downgrading" to integrateds, I urge you to put the YBA Passion on your list. The Passion 100 has been playing 24/7 since Friday last week and, except for a brief period when I swopped back to my pre and power, has provided me with a very engaging musical experience without much regret that I was losing one item of equipment from my rig! I have hooked it up to my SB3 (with DAC duties from Altmann and Paradisea), tuner, TV and Turntable. The Passion did not come with a remote (which would have been very convenient and allowed me to configure HT bypass and memory settings for the volume) but was nevertheless a doddle to use. There was a slight hum with no source and volume up but I soon traced it to my cable TV setup box and with this disengaged, the Passion was eerily quiet. Controls were easy to use - left for source (relay) and right for volume. The volume had to be turned several full rotations before it registered a full 1 dB change and there were no indications on the front faceplate to indicate volume level. There is a lit "YBA Passion" fascia in the centre of the faceplate which only goes off when the amplifier is on "mute". Although the lights are not annoyingly bright, a switch to dim or turn it off would be a nice feature. The source selector clicks very positively and smoothly when a source is chosen. The front plate has the thickest aluminium that I have ever seen in an amplifier that small and my mind wonders if the fastidious Yves Bernard Andre put it there to control resonance rather than for the looks. The charateristic tripod legs look sturdy enough and has a rubber padding on the base cylinder for extra resonance control. The speaker terminals are offside rather than symmetrical, suggesting this was the route for shortest path. Unfortunately, my silver Slinkylinks SC were inches too short at one end to reach the speaker binding post. I chose the large speaker connectors for maximum damping since I know 90 watts (4 ohms) into my Thiels isn't much. There are female connectors for biamping. A pre-out was a nice feature which line fed my excellent ACI Force XL subs but was not used because I found the bass adequate as-is without seismic help from my subs.

The Passion 100 is defintely different sounding than its predecesssor, the DT. Same wattage but it seems the DT has passive pre while the Passion's pre is active. Living with a truly transparent pre as John Chapman's TAP, I found the DT more transparent and "leaner" than the Passion. I did not know why at first but now know that the DT's passive pre was largely responsible for the familiar "see through" transparency and purity which passives triumph over active preamplification. The Passion sounded very much more powerful and had greater bass punch and slam than the DT. So while the Passion sacrifices some transparency, it makes this up with better bass and LF. After extended listening, the Passion shares that same quality that has made YBA gear famous - "True Emotion". These are two words YBA uses which well describes my experience with the Passion and the DT. If I could use an analogy, listening to the Passion is like appreciating a Monet or listening to Debussy. If one looks closely at a Monet, it is just a mass of colours and brush strokes. But if one stands back to view a Monet, one sees the painting as a pleasing whole. Listening to the Passion forces you to listen to the whole, but gives you the liberty to concentrate on a part if you so wish. But, the focus is on the big picture. This made my listening sessions very enjoyable as the Passion drew me into the music. The German word "gestalt" best describes the point I am making.

Whatever the source I selected, I was less critical, less analytical and conversely more relaxed and unconstrained. I think this is what audiophiles mean when they say a component is non-fatiguing. I felt no urge to get up from my sweet spot to tweak this or that. It sounded good as-is!

The time has come for me to return the Passion 100 and make a choice. At this point, I am inclined to just go for it and get the Passion. End of story. I hope there is an AudioCircler out there who is in the same boat as I am, hoping to simplify his music system for 2008 and redefining his goal to focus on the music with a good quality integrated which hopefully will end his audio nervosa! If he is, please share your thoughts too!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, Merle: if you are still visiting AC I must thank you for your inspiring post when you simplified your system by going for Rega. Your post planted the seeds for me to simplify my system too! I have heard the Rega system (minus speakers) and found the Mira very musical indeed!

denjo

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2008, 10:20 am »
Hi Chris

Thanks for your pm! You are one of the most helpful and generous hearted AudioCircler around! Really appreciate your help and encouragement!  :D

Best Regards
Dennis

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2008, 04:04 pm »
Way to go Dennis...as many have found....it's not the sheer amount of boxes that define your enjoyment of good sound.  It's the selection of those boxes carefully that does it. YBA is an inspired brand.

Enjoy - John!

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2008, 05:44 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I've been looking into the passion series myself, and wondered whether, but was not able to confirm that the the Passion 100, 200, and 300 are the same amplifiers except for output.  Do you know by any chance?  Also, I wasn't able to find a price list if anyone happens to know what the three go for.  Thanks,

Chris

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2008, 06:45 pm »
I second all this talk of the YBA.

15 years ago I used to sell them along with a fair number of other highly regarded electronics and speakers. It was unanimous amongst store staff and owners that the YBA was superior, second being the Sugden line, with their small class A sounding the nicest.

Yves Bernard Andre also was the one who said (in a personal telephone call) to listen with the top of the amp off, if possible, as it sounded better. He could not find a way to incorporate this idea in a market-viable way. He was also one of the first designers I am aware of to really go to great lengths to mechanically damp many internal components. If you "looked under the hood" you would see damping material all over the place - on many caps, for instance - and this was 1992.