"My Kind of Music": Special store, Special owner

Spirit

• Facilitator
"My Kind of Music": Special store, Special owner
« on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:23 am »
Good evening everyone,
I have watched over the last number of years the steady demise of true "stereo" stores in the city of Toronto.  Stores that catered only to 2 channel gear and didn't bring home-theater into the mix.  One of our members is John Costanzo, who happens to be the proprietor of "My Kind of Music", a very unique and essential store located on Heath St. (St. Clair and Spadina). 
Now, before I continue, let me state emphatically that I have no vested interest in John's business,  I write this post simply to inform Toronto members that we are extremely lucky to have a store like John's, but more importantly to state that we are extremely fortunate to posess a man like John. 
John has rekindled my interest in Analog/Vinyl - a medium that I had long locked away in the back of a closet and also in the back of my mind.
John is absolutely passionate about analog. Analog is "His KInd of Music"!!  He doesn't hate CD, but to him it is a necessary source that he has to sell but he feels cannot compete with the fidelity of analog. 
I purchased my last turntable in 1978 from a store that is still around, called Audio Empire.  I still have the table.  I approached John and told him that I wanted to complete my system by adding an analog piece to my system.  I fully anticipated that John was going to convince me to invest mega 1000's in one his esoteric tables that glisten in his store.  After all, he is in business to make money.  To my surprise, John's comment to me was a revelation:  "Sam, whybuy a new table, when you own a classic right now".  All I would really have to do, is to get a quality cartridge and modify the arm, and for around 600 bucks I would have a digital killer! 
Now, think about this: when is the last time that you went into an audio store and was told that anything vintage was as good or better than what is available today. I have given John every opportunity to sell me a new table, but he doesn't see the point.  Very refreshing, don't you think?
As a matter of fact, I emailed him today inquiring about a new outboard power supply for the table, and John convinced me to hold off until I get used to sound of the modded arm and new cart.  OK - he doesn't want my money!
Last week John hosted a 2 evening Open House at his store for TAAS members.  I attended the second evening and, quite frankly, was struck by John's utter passion for this hobby.  Not once, did he give anyone the hard-sell.  We just had fun, listend to music, and admired the phenomonal gear.
How's this for service - I ordered an extra shelf for my audio rack from John.  A major sale of $200.00!
John drove 30 miles to the outskirts of Missisauga/Oakville to pick up the stupid box himself.  I offered to do it myself but he insisted he would do it. 
I know that many of us work in professions that we are truly tired of.  Many of us have had dreams of being in the audio business.  John actually is living his dream. I think he would just run the store for fun if he could afford too.
I highly recommend a visit to John's establishment.  The store is actually in a very quaint old house and the rooms are as realistic as what we all have in our homes. 
Pay him a visit - you'll end of listening to some super Analog gear and music!