best tweeter?

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« on: 2 Sep 2003, 05:37 pm »
I dont have much experience with a large amount of tweeters but fuck me dead this one kicks arse.   looks cool and see those specifications, not to mention powerhandling without ferrofluid

its $600 aust. so $300 ish us... or whatever else you can figure out for your country.

http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/data/xt25tg30-04a.htm

Hantra

best tweeter?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2003, 06:29 pm »
WerT:

I don't want to beat a dead horse.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again.  If it was that simple, we would all buy the most expensive drivers, and throw them in a box, and we'd all be in our own utopia.

It's not the drivers as much as it is the implementation of the drivers.  One of the most uninvolvingly bland speakers I have heard is the JM Labs Electra 926.  OTOH, one of the best speakers I have ever heard in my life is the wilson Sophia.  These use pretty much the same tweeter.  VERY different results.  Amazingly different!  

So different in fact, I would rather have my Michael Green speakers back  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o than have the JM Labs.  But I would trade mine right now for some Sophias if I could.

shokunin

best tweeter?
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2003, 01:01 am »
That's a Vifa XT ring tweeter, which is used in a number of speakers, including Onix Rocket and Reference lines.   While both Rocket and Reference use the same tweeter, they sound very different in the top end.  As Hantra metioned, it's not just the drivers, it's the implementation of the crossover network.  It's just like cooking, it's not just the ingredients, it's how you use them.  We can start with the same ingredients and equipment, but end up with different tasting food.

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2003, 11:18 am »
you guys are making a smart and stupid comment at the same time

yes the rest of the receipe is important but using the best bits everywhere is is going to make any receipe better!

since when did cost matter?  i am a student and i have spend $3000 on my stereo so far... thats not much now is it? not in the sceme of things...

did i have a point? oh yeah i want to stir up some conversation here about what you guys might think are better tweeters or the best ones :).

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
best tweeter?
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2003, 06:16 pm »
Some tweeters I think are among the best in their design:

dome: Dynaudio Esotar2
piezo: Gallo Nucleus CDT original
ribbon: Raven R2 (have not heard the R3.1), VMPS FST

as far as which is the best of these, I would say that's dependant on the mating of the system to tubes/SS/midrange compliment, etc.  Still, all of the above I've experenced to produce cymbal shimmer and string resonance that is lifelike.

Regards,

Rup

Carlman

best tweeter?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:09 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus

Clearly you are interested in tweeters, and tweeters alone.  That's a smart approach. :lol:   Initially, you proclaimed one as the best with some really thick 'dude' dialect.  Now you want to start a discussion on tweeters... any particular application you want to discuss or just tweeters... Do you think the tweeter is the only component of a speaker that defines true greatness in speaker design?  I can understand a discussion on a particular component but, not knowing the application won't get you very far with whatever you're trying to achieve.

Since you're in school and already have a $3,000 system  :o .... I don't know what to say.  It sounds like you've already found it.... or spent a lot of money on it.  If you're in college, please take at least 1 or 2 English classes and don't cheat. ;)

Here's some links to what I consider 'best' tweeters for an unknown application:... they meet all criteria I didn't specify:
Piezo
And another fave...

jackman

best tweeter?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:10 pm »
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes the rest of the receipe is important but using the best bits everywhere is is going to make any receipe better!

since when did cost matter? i am a student and i have spend $3000 on my stereo so far... thats not much now is it? not in the sceme of things...

did i have a point? oh yeah i want to stir up some conversation here about what you guys might think are better tweeters or the best ones .

Werticus,

I can only hope, for your sake, that you are stinking drunk as you write this crap.  Are you a total jackass or are you just pretending to get a couple laughs out of this site :?:   :? Let me tell you a couple things I have learned about tweeters (and that others have pointed out).  There are no absolutes.  Certain tweeters sound great in certain applications.  Danny Richie is know, for example, as a guy who knows how to get very good things out of relatively inexpensive tweeters.

You mention the XT25, a tweeter that sounds great in many applications including the fine Ref 1's from Onix, Rockets, and, I hear, some Polk speakers.  You indicate in your original post that they sounded good to you or that they fucked you dead in your arse or something.   Were you refering to the looks or the specs or a specific design?  Or did you just connect wires and hold them up to your fucking hollow head?  I hope this it the conversation you had in mind with your post.   Maybe holding those tweeters up to your head (combined with the hollow-space induced echo) has disoriented you.  Just sit down, compose your thoughts and let us know what you are looking for.

G'day,

Jman

KKM

best tweeter?
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:50 pm »

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2003, 11:39 pm »
Jackman, that was pretty funny you made me laugh there... but you really do not have to be such an arsehole..

Carlman: just working on the tweeter bit of the speaker atm okay? :) the application is for 3khz up.... in a 2.5way system ... what else do you need to know? for sacd and dvda....

KKM thats very interesting maybe i was quotted for the wrong one, maybe some bastard is trying to rip me off. :)

or maybe he 'thought' i ment this one

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15382530&St=8812&St2=65392418&St3=57888726&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=121649&DID=7

Sorry if offended someone with my poor use of australian slang perhaps now we can leave the crap out and talk hi fi baby.

jackman

best tweeter?
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2003, 11:45 pm »
Hey WerTicus,

You seem like a good guy.  Welcome to Audiocircle!  Hopefully you will find the answers you are looking for.  If you are in Aussieland, you may want to check out that fine AKSA stuff.  I don't know of cooler DIY gear on the planet...at least their electronics.  It's also pretty inexpensive.  Good luck!

Jman

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2003, 01:52 am »
yeah aska stuff's great... i have a spin off of their 100 amplifier design, its fantastic :)

Rocket

aksa amp
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2003, 12:59 pm »
hi werticus,

regarding your comment about the aksa 100 amp, i am not aware of any spinoff amps.  i hope the amp is a genuine aksa amp designed by hugh.

btw you should go to war audio and listen to some of pat's speakers.  they are very good sounding.  for about $2000au you can buy speakers that will sound much better than other hifi shops in perth.

regarding tweeters the raven is very good.  i have the r1 ribbon tweeter in my mtm speakers which were built by war audio.

regards

rocket

JohnR

best tweeter?
« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2003, 01:00 pm »
spin off???

[By the way... why is this in Critic's Circle  :scratch: ]

Carlman

best tweeter?
« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2003, 02:07 pm »
What's this thread about?  Should be in the lab?  I didn't understand why it was here either... I was just kind of hoping it would go away.  This post isn't about anything... other than, there's a good tweeter out there and maybe some amplifier that guy heard really rocks.. uh, yeah, dude!  

The probability of an AKSA knock-off is pretty low... so, I have a feeling this guy's having a good laugh that people are taking this thread seriously.  Just my guess.

L8r dudes,
Cman :rock:

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2003, 02:50 pm »
a friend of mine who is an electronics engineer student took the design and made a more powerful version. its 400w/ channel instead... thats what i ment by spin off...

and the thread is in the critics circle cause i was intending to inspire some conversation about various tweeters.... so it seemed appropriate...

whatever let this thread die then....

AKSA

best tweeter?
« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2003, 06:35 am »
Werticus,

How interesting!    :nono:

Would you mind asking your friend to contact me - Ian I presume - because I'd like to discuss it with him (nicely of course..... :mrgreen: )

Cheers,

Hugh

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2003, 09:50 am »
no hugh not likely... also dont worry its a non commercial thing - he made two only.

JohnR

best tweeter?
« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2003, 10:55 am »
Werticus, do you know how to spell "intellectual property"?

No? How about "l-a-m-e" then.

WerTicus

best tweeter?
« Reply #18 on: 6 Sep 2003, 12:43 pm »
bloody hell you take an amp you have and make it more powerful how is this wrong?

JohnR

best tweeter?
« Reply #19 on: 6 Sep 2003, 01:04 pm »
So you are saying you bought a kit then?