Anyone done the red board upgrade to their monoblocs?.....

AnalogDog

I know there is the Extreme upgrade, and then there is the better red circuit board. There are a lot of Extremes out there with the older green boards.New Extremes I know come with said red board. Anyone here kept their monoblocs in the standard single transformer configuration, but upgraded to the better red board? Klaus told me he really likes the sonics of this configuration. Anyone care to comment on the sonic improvements of the red circuit board? Thanks in advance; I've read all 48 pages, didn't see this specifically discussed. The reason I ask is, I have a standard pair of monoblocs (actually Klaus has them @ this moment), and would like the best sonics possible, but would like to keep the power consumption reasonable, since I do leave 'em on 24/7, and I know the Extremes draw more juice.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Anyone done the red board upgrade to their monoblocs?.....
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2007, 11:21 am »
Can't say about the standards.  However, if power consumption at idle is an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.  The difference at idle is I'm sure so subtle that it's not even worth worrying about. 

Bryan

BobC

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:58 pm »
I upgraded my Mono Extremes from green to red...bringing them to "SE" status (what ever that means  :dunno: ).  I immediately noticed that amps sounded "faster", i.e. more attack.  Over time the sound has improved giving me a better image and wider / deeper soundstage.  I should note that I added a Candela at the same time so my observations are due to the amp upgrades and the addition of the pre acting together.

But, FWIW I played mine continuously for the first 100 hours or so and things smoothed out a lot.  I leave them "on" all the time, which I've heard progresses the break-in, but not as quickly as actually playing.

I think I probably have 300 - 350 hours on them now, but unfortunatley they're not hooked up right now because of a recent move.  Need to get the system back up and running!!!

Bottom line: very happy with the amps and the upgrade was well worth the $$$ to me.  I have confidence that my amps can drive anything and compete with anything out there within reason.  Hope this helps.

Lkdog

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2007, 06:55 pm »
I know there is the Extreme upgrade, and then there is the better red circuit board. There are a lot of Extremes out there with the older green boards.New Extremes I know come with said red board. Anyone here kept their monoblocs in the standard single transformer configuration, but upgraded to the better red board? Klaus told me he really likes the sonics of this configuration. Anyone care to comment on the sonic improvements of the red circuit board? Thanks in advance; I've read all 48 pages, didn't see this specifically discussed. The reason I ask is, I have a standard pair of monoblocs (actually Klaus has them @ this moment), and would like the best sonics possible, but would like to keep the power consumption reasonable, since I do leave 'em on 24/7, and I know the Extremes draw more juice.

If you want the best sonics possible-and Klaus has your monoblocks sitting right there, then have him upgrade you to the current version of the Mono Extremes.
He will use your cases and whatever else he can salvage.
You will have new amps that are the flagship model (unless you have him do the SE which are special custom upgrades to the Mono Extremes).

Just get out the credit card. :thumb:
If you don't you will constantly be wondering about the Extremes and it is not that big of a price difference I am guessing if you are already going to upgrade the circuit boards.

Oh, and I leave mine on 24/7 and they are barely warm to the touch.
Have not even given a thought to power consumption.

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2007, 08:53 pm »

If you want the best sonics possible-and Klaus has your monoblocks sitting right there, then have him upgrade you to the current version of the Mono Extremes.
He will use your cases and whatever else he can salvage.
You will have new amps that are the flagship model (unless you have him do the SE which are special custom upgrades to the Mono Extremes).

Just get out the credit card. :thumb:
If you don't you will constantly be wondering about the Extremes and it is not that big of a price difference I am guessing if you are already going to upgrade the circuit boards.

Oh, and I leave mine on 24/7 and they are barely warm to the touch.
Have not even given a thought to power consumption.

amen here! Klaus has been banging my checking account harder than my two ex's put together!!
my two monos went from the green boards to the red boards as well, but have no idea what the ones with green boards sound like. Mine stayed in the boxes for two years.
gary

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2007, 02:36 am »
ALL i can say is that compared to my HT-3(red boards,120,000cap) my Mono Extreme S.E.'s kick a**,they are meant to be up front,for a few more bucks,then you'll have top of the line!! he has them now so no more shipping...thanks John

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2007, 06:35 pm »
ALL i can say is that compared to my HT-3(red boards,120,000cap) my Mono Extreme S.E.'s kick a**,they are meant to be up front,for a few more bucks,then you'll have top of the line!! he has them now so no more shipping...thanks John

my favorite quote concerning the sound quality of the mono SE's came from my youngest son (much better hearing than old Dad). He told a salesman at one of the Hi Fi shops here that my SE's would smoke his Krell monos he had set up in a system he was playing for us. I just grinned and went on.
gary

AnalogDog

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2007, 09:06 pm »
Sigh...this is driving me nutz! I couldn't get my wife to go for the Extreme upgrade. Heh...shoulda done what one poster did, and told my wife that the left channel blew up, and would have to be replaced, and then have 'em red board Extremed! :duh: Ah, well...it'll give me something to look forward to!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2007, 10:40 pm »
Don't have a clue what the green boards sound like but my new  mono extrems should be here next week and the wait is killing me. Klaus Is just a Class act!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great guy deal with. Very passionate about his products. will definitely be talking to him about a candela pre in the near future

JCarney

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2007, 12:22 am »

my favorite quote concerning the sound quality of the mono SE's came from my youngest son (much better hearing than old Dad). He told a salesman at one of the Hi Fi shops here that my SE's would smoke his Krell monos he had set up in a system he was playing for us. I just grinned and went on.
gary

LMAO  Man I wish I coulda been there for that, I woulda been rollin on the floor. I bet the look on that salesman's face was pricelss.

JCarney

Lkdog

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2007, 05:00 am »
Sigh...this is driving me nutz! I couldn't get my wife to go for the Extreme upgrade. Heh...shoulda done what one poster did, and told my wife that the left channel blew up, and would have to be replaced, and then have 'em red board Extremed! :duh: Ah, well...it'll give me something to look forward to!

Now how is she going to know what the heck Klaus did inside there?  :green:

lazydays

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2007, 07:42 pm »

gary

LMAO  Man I wish I coulda been there for that, I woulda been rollin on the floor. I bet the look on that salesman's face was pricelss.

JCarney

there actually were two of them, and one just smiled and the other frowned. Later the one that grinned told me he knew exactly what my son ment as he's heard the Symphonic ones in the past. And they do sound better than those ten grand Krells by the way!
gary

JCarney

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2007, 12:04 am »
Yeppers, I have a pair of SE's. 8)

JCarney

AnalogDog

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2007, 12:46 am »

Now how is she going to know what the heck Klaus did inside there?  :green:

She doesn't....but she'll sure know what Klaus charges my credit card :roll:

Lkdog

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2007, 12:57 am »
Oh yeah....the credit card thing.
 :scratch:  :D