Amp Comparo 2007

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Amp Comparo 2007
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 07:54 pm »
We are in the process of putting together an amp comparison get together, so I have started this thread.

We will be doing this in the coming weeks, most probably in late January. (Pending scheduling conflicts)

The purpose here is to compile a broad selection of different amps, and run them through the same transport/DAC and speaker set up. We will be doing this in a blind comparison, and everyone attending would be provided with a track sheet so they could check off listed parameters on a scale, and keep track of their favorites.

At the end we would announce which make/model corresponded to the list of amps played. He/she would then know which amp suited their particular tastes best.

For the record, the purpose here would not be a competition. We will not take a poll on which was best/more popular. This is a test drive type of event for those curious to hear what's out there in the amplifier marketplace.

So far we have all but confirmed a number of tube mono bloc configurations, SLA battery powered chip amp, Tube/Mosfet hybrid mono blocs, Solid state mono blocs, and a few more possibilities.

Anyone that has anything of interest they'd like to see run, PM me and let me know.

Cheers

PaulHilgeman

Re: Amp Comparo 2007
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 08:09 pm »
How hard is it to get things from the states to the Toronto Area?

I can get you one of the Nomad Audio Niagara Amplifiers.  It is a modified UcD style Class D amplifier.

Paul Hilgeman
Nomad Audio

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2006, 08:15 pm »
I've had stuff shipped to me via USPS, ( not sure if it was ground or air ) and UPS. I'll be talking with a few people over the next few days and I'll get back to you as to what's the best method.

We'd love to have you send your stuff up.

Cheers

aerius

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:12 pm »

As long as everything's properly documented it's pretty straightforward and trouble free.

On the other hand if Customs thinks something looks fishy, say for instance a really expensive looking amp marked as a $30 gift going from a company to an individual, then bad things happen.

I could also tell you guys a whole bunch of horror stories from when I used to work in Postal but I don't think this would be a good time for that...

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:22 pm »
The newest group and you're already contributing valuable content.   :D

What speakers will you be using for the event?  Obviously, this has a TREMENDOUS impact on how an amplifier would sound.  For instance, I would not choose the same amp for GR's new LS-9 as I would for one of Louis' speakers.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:37 pm »
I will have 2 sets of GR Research speakers. The AV/3's and OB 5's. They are 90db and 91db sensitivity respectively, and fairly easy loads to drive.

We'll see as things unfold, but there may be a whole bunch of amps there, and to try and run every amp through every speaker could get a little tedious and long, and maybe people's attention spans might factor in too much. But if people were up to it and wanted to then I've got no problem with throwing another harder to drive speaker in the mix.

Cheers

Spirit

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:03 pm »

I can get you one of the Nomad Audio Niagara Amplifiers.  It is a modified UcD style Class D amplifier.

Paul Hilgeman
Nomad Audio
PauL
Excellent question.
Getting things from the States to Toronto is simple.  We are, after all, considered by many to be the 51st state.
Fedex, UPS, DHL,etc. all come here.
What is not as simple is how to get it over the border and through customs for the least amount of money.
We have 3 factors at play when it comes to fees:
1:  Customs and duty (which is calculated by the Customs dept. by a detailed schedule)
2:  GST - stands for Good and Services Tax.  This is a Federal Govt imposed tax of 6% which is added to the
     Canadian dollar value of the item shiiped.
     For example is a product has a US declared value of $500.00US, is converted at the daily conversion rate
     (today it happens to be about 15%).
     So the value becomes $575.00CDN X 6% = $34.50CDN GST
3:  PST - stands for Provincial Sales Tax which in Ontario is 8%.  Same kind of calculation as #2.
So, you see, that the key to shipping an item up to Toronto is to try to declare a value which as low as possible.
I know that having met some of our gang, there are a few really shrewd importers who can chime in with some expert techniques on how to buy/ship from the US for the lowest dollar cost.
Come on, you guys - let's get some good info!

Syrah

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:58 am »
I've had a ton of stuff shipped back and forth.  Try to mark it in big, bold letter, "Sample Only, To Be Returned" or maybe, "Return for Repair Only". 

DO NOT ship with any private courier (like UPS) they absolutely kill you with "brokerage" fees.  Ship USPS.  If you go USPS, the worst case scenario would be about a 15% charge, but whenever I've shipped stuff with the above in big bold letters (when I actually needed things fixed in the U.S.) I've never had a problem.

From Canada to the U.S. (which I know is not your case) if you really want to be on the safe side, you take your box down to the customs office and fill out a form.  They inspect it and take down the serial number and you're good to go.  But that's a real pain - so much for free trade...  I suspect the U.S. tax or customs office has a similar form.

I think if you sent it USPS and marked it with the above statements, you'd be fine.  I for one, would pitch in my fair share if we ended up having to pay 15%.

bluemike

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:12 am »
USPS is the way to go

Word of caution don't write fragile anywhere on the box

Make sure it's double boxed and packed well

Taxes incurred are based on the value of the shipment

MKOM

• My Kind of Music by J & D Design
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:54 am »
Aerius:

Did you state that you worked "Postal"

OK...now you are really scaring me...... :o

MKOM

zane9

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:05 am »
I would love to hear one of the Nomad Audio Niagara amps! I have had smooth-sailing with shipments arriving by US Postal Service/Canada Post, but it's not a quick delivery method.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:25 am »
Aerius:

MKOM

Roshombo,.... missile silo's, Postal.....where did we find this guy anyways?  :lol:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2006, 09:07 am by Daygloworange »

aerius

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:07 am »
Aerius:

MKOM

It was one of my summer jobs from when I was still in university.  I inspected parcels at one of the large postal sorting plants.  Fun job, do my quota in an hour then spend the next 7 hours getting paid for doing nothing, it was great! :D

Yorgi

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:40 am »
...Missile silo's, Postal.....where did we find this guy anyways?  :lol:

Cheers
You haven't seen his knife collection yet. :o

Yorgi

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:48 am »
If anyone wants to hear a Bryston I can supply a 9B ST Pro.  It's basically a 5 channel version of a 3BST, with each channel consisting of an independent module including it's own power supply/transformer.

markC

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2006, 03:56 am »
Here's an idea...
Since I believe that we have on hand, readily available, (counting on Mr. MCcallister), a threesome of mono blocs,
One pair solid state- Spirit
One pair tube- MCcallister
One pair hybrid- Mine

Aa for front end and pre amp. I think that this should be a diplomatic approach rather than "this is what we are using".
Whaddaya think?

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2006, 04:07 am »
Sounds like a fun time,

I'll ship out a Niagara in the old style chassis with 3 weeks advance.

Have fun!!!

Spirit

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2006, 06:05 pm »
Hey Dayglow:
So what's the date for this get together? 
Othewise known as CampAmp!!!!
I certrainly can bring my Odyssey Monos and I can also bring along my reccently purchased
(second hand) Densen Beat 100 integrated.
Let us know the scoop!

lo_tse

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:58 am »
Hey Spirit,

CampAmp sounds fitting!!

Yeah, Dayglow, let's bounce a few dates around.  I hope it will be on a sunday. 

Lo-Tse

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:25 am »
Hey guys,

Well I'm looking at my schedule and looks like Sunday, Jan 28th will be the date.

The potential amp roundup is looking real interesting. Here is what it's looking like we'll be comparing.

Dodd 120 mono blocs
Bryston 9B ST
Nomad Audio Niagara Class D amp
McAlister M 130 mono blocs
Red Wine Audio Sig 70 mono blocs (SLA powered Tri-Path based)
Custom Hybrid tube/MOSFET mono blocs   (courtesy of markC)
Odyssey Audio Monoblock Extreme, Special Editions(SS)
ATI 1202 Stereo (SS)

I am also in the process of trying to acquire a Moscode 401 HR for the meet. There are a few more amps that could be added to the list, I'm trying to work all that out, but so far it's looking pretty darn awesome! :thumb:

These amps will be fed by my Bolder modded analog out Squeezebox 3 ( full Sonicap/Sonicap Platinum bypass)with modded Elpac PS.

Speakers will be GR Research OB 5's. (91 db sensitivity)

Depending on how many amps there will be, this will be the setup. Some have suggested that we have a tube preamp in the mix, as well as some harder to drive speakers as well. Both are valid requests. I'm not sure how feasible it is to try to run that many combinations in a one day session, so I'll look to you guys for your input. Also if anyone wants to bring examples of a tube preamp, or some 4 ohm, or lower sensitivity speakers, let me know.

I'll update as more news becomes available.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2006, 06:39 am by Daygloworange »