Marbles

C
« on: 25 Dec 2002, 12:53 am »
A
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2009, 04:23 pm by Marbles »

jackman

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2002, 02:32 pm »
Very cool!  How many pairs of speakers do you have?  Also, you say the new 9's sound crisp like Klaus' speakers, what is your final verdict?  Which do you prefer?

I hope this site makes it.  HD was getting too frustrating.

Jman

Rocket

speakers
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2002, 02:50 pm »
hello marbles,

i'd just like to know how you get them past your wife.  everytime i buy a new piece of equipment my wife cuts me off for a few day.

she's in sydney at the moment i had to break the news to her on the phone that i bought a aksa amp, but i did promise to sell my main amp if the aksa is as good as i've heard :lol:

regards

rocket

hairofthedawg

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2002, 03:02 pm »
I'd kind of like to know what Mrs. Marbles gets each time Mr. get a new piece of gear...she's probably got a good collection of things as well... :lol:

lo mein

Re: speakers
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2002, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
hello marbles,

i'd just like to know how you get them past your wife.  everytime i buy a new piece of equipment my wife cuts me off for a few day.

she's in sydney at the moment i had to break the news to her on the phone that i bought a aksa amp, but i did promise to sell my main amp if the aksa is as good as i've heard :lol:

regards

rocket

Just tell her the man needs his toys too...

Either audio gears, cameras, guns, cars, whatever....

or women!

Let her choose!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Alex

Jay S

Re: speakers
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2002, 12:19 am »
Quote from: lo mein
Just tell her the man needs his toys too...

Either audio gears, cameras, guns, cars, whatever....

or women!

Let her choose!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Alex

I have to agree with Alex!  My girlfriend thinks I am insane (though she now appreciates what a good system does vs a boombox) but she is quite glad that my hobby is audio and it keeps me at home!!!  My other interest right now is wine (and I have to say there is good synergy with audio!).  

It goes without saying that bringing lots of women home so that I could um, *photograph* them while they pose with a collection of guns and knives and gyrate to the beat of the music pumped out by my audio system (all while they and I pound down bottles of wine) would not be acceptable to her.   :D

lo mein

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2002, 05:32 am »
Jay,

Talking about wine... Have you tried the 'ice wine' from Canada?

They're REALLY GOOD.

Alex

Jay S

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2002, 07:19 am »
Alex,

Yes, I love ice wine!  Very good stuff, but unfortunately not cheap either and not too easy to find in Hong Kong.  I had bought a couple of bottles when I was in Vancouver/Whistler early this year for CNY.  By the way, I came across a very nice martini in a restaurant in Whistler that uses ice wine.  The waiter was nice enough to give me the recipe (called Sunset in a Glass).  From memory, it uses ice wine, Absolut Mandarin and a drop of balsamic vinegar (!).  If you are interested, I can dig up the recipe for you when I get back to Hong Kong.  

If you like ice wine you may want to try Sauternes, which is a sweet amber wine produced in a small region of Bordeaux.  Chateau Giraud is very nice (I suggest '96 and, for a special occasion, '90).  It isn't cheap but it isn't stratospheric either.  Its available in half bottles, which reduces the risk.  The best Sauternes is d'Yquem but I couldn't imagine paying that much money for wine!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2002, 07:37 pm »
Nice review marbles!  When are you going to get some "real" amps?  :shock:

JackStraw

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2002, 07:59 pm »
Boy, those are some neat speakers. Are they ported out the arse like the Prism 3.0? It seems like this would be a great design for tight placement in corners or near back walls. But,  how big ARE they?

By the way, if you'd like to have MB make anything custom for me, feel free...

:roll:

Tyson

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2002, 08:29 pm »
I think the column speaker is a GREAT idea - a way for people to get the nOrh sound and marble enclosures in a more traditional shape.  I remember a while back that when I would post on how great the 9.0's and 7.0's were, the most common response was a lot of people thought they were ugly.  With a choice of a more traditional shape, that's not an objection any more.   I give it :thumb:

Tyson

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2002, 08:34 pm »
Hmm, how about a synthetic marble version of the column shape - that way there could be a choice for shape throughout the entire speaker line, including the 4.0, 5.1, 6.9, and mini-9.0?  Seems like it would open up the market to people on a budget that like the nOrh philosophy and value, but are turned off by the drum shape.

JackStraw

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2002, 10:15 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
I think the column speaker is a GREAT idea - a way for people to get the nOrh sound and marble enclosures in a more traditional shape.  I remember a while back that when I would post on how great the 9.0's and 7.0's were, the most common response was a lot of people thought they were ugly.  With a choice of a more traditional shape, that's not an objection any more.   I give it :thumb:

I agree as well -- but I guess that you figured that out based on my previous message.

Honestly, I'm less worried with the looks of the horn (ham) speakers than I am with placing the darn things. I don't see myself having an extra empty ft room anytime in the near future to place speakers 3+ feet out into the room.

But, I'm guessing that this is impractical to expand broadly because of production limitations with the marble, SM, and ceramic materials. I think that it's a fine approach for a fantasy project like Marbles column 9.0s, but with volume I think that the material waste will drive the price so high that the appeal disappears.

Just a half-thought-through guess, mind you... I'd love to see MB prove me wrong.

Jay S

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2002, 12:29 am »
Quote from: JackStraw
Honestly, I'm less worried with the looks of the horn (ham) speakers than I am with placing the darn things. I don't see myself having an extra empty ft room anytime in the near future to place speakers 3+ feet out into the room.

I agree with Jack on the problem of placing the drum speakers in a room that is not very deep.  The rear ports of my drums are only a few inches away from the rear wall.  Maybe I could pull them out a few inches more, but I certainly cannot get them 3+ feet into the room!  I think the column speakers would be great for those that are somewhat space constrained.  The only downside I see is that they will not look as interesting.  Some people are pretty stunned by the look of the marble drums... of course I do remember that a colleague thought that they were black room heaters!

Jay S

Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2002, 02:21 am »
Rob,

I was actually thinking of asking Michael about buying marble column cabinets -- I like the sleek, clean look and the fact that they are bottom ported.  But, my girlfriend didn't like the look as much as the drums.  And, she really does enjoy explaining the drum shape (and the fact that they are made of solid marble!) to guests.  8)  You know, in spite of all that has been said about the nOrh 9.0 vs VMPS ribbons, I'm still very enthusiastic about the nOrh 9.  Sure, I haven't heard the VMPS ribbons, but I really do enjoy my marble 9s -- audibly, visually.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Custom column 9.0 review
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2003, 02:53 am »
They look great - for HT speakers   :D  I still like those drums, and I'm sure you do too.

Actually these are really cool and I can't imagine how they sound. What difference does the bottom port make with the same drivers?

California Love 2Pac - 4 singles

Samuel Adams Light (not bad)