Nomad Audio : Ronin Speakers in Your Home!!!

PaulHilgeman

Nomad Audio : Ronin Speakers in Your Home!!!
« on: 25 Oct 2006, 01:34 am »
The "Road-Trip-Ronins" have a few more stops to make, but at some point before the end of the year, they will be free.  I am looking for people that are seriously interested in audition a pair of the Ronins.

If this is you, please contact me : paul@nomad-audio.com

Regards,
Paul Hilgeman
Nomad Audio

DeadFish

Re: Nomad Audio : Ronin Speakers in Your Home!!!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2006, 01:53 am »
Hey Paul!
Sure hope the other listeners have as great of impressions as the GAS gang had.  I know they showed me something new about what I thought I knew about already.  Still surprised at the broad stage they set, but pleasantly so.
I wanted to thank you again for turning me onto the 'Wood' cd by Bromberg, as I've since gotten Wood II, but not found the first one locally. (and too lame to order it online yet!) :wink:
IF you hadn't listened to his 'Metal', I might suggest it to you.  'Piccalo bass', no guitars but it is some jumping stuff.

Best of regards,
DeadFish

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2006, 12:22 pm »
Thanks,

I'll have to check it out.  Fun stuff!!

I forgot to mention this, but the real motivation for this is due to the fact that I did not go to RMAF.  I feel that at this time, more value can be had with listeners in their own rooms with their own equipment, and I am sure that the beverage / reading / music / seating choices at your home are better than at RMAF ;).

Have a nice one guys,
Paul Hilgeman
Nomad Audio

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2006, 02:18 pm »

I forgot to mention this, but the real motivation for this is due to the fact that I did not go to RMAF.  I feel that at this time, more value can be had with listeners in their own rooms with their own equipment, and I am sure that the beverage / reading / music / seating choices at your home are better than at RMAF ;).

I hear you talking there Paul.  However, from a 'been there, done that' perspective, I can guarantee that your speakers sound better than quite a number of the offerings I wandered into over the weekend.  What I heard at Steve K's house took a lot out of the battle for the 'sweet spot' that sometimes was quite important out there.  That alone still wacks me out.
Appreciate your apprehension though, and your tour for us out here that cannot get anywhere else to hear them.

Best,
DeadFish

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2006, 08:33 pm »
More people should take advantage of your offer Paul. I was really impressed with the way the Ronin loaded my room similar to maggies. There's a lot to be said about the open baffle design on the mids and highs that gets away form the colorations of the "box" sound. There's a fellow on the Planar Asylum needing to pack up his Maggie 2.6's at his new house and is looking for alternative speakers. I dropped your name over there as a possibility.

Thanks again for lugging them down to St. Louis for us to hear. Go Cards.
steve

GHM

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2006, 11:55 am »
Paul..have you considered making a less expensive version for us bottom feeders out there? What I mean by this is something along the lines as what Roy did with the Europas. A model below or around $1000 large Monitor size(call it the Ronin .5 ). His sub $1000 speaker opened the flood gates for Po folks like me to hear what his designs were all about. Before you knew it..there was a buzz every where about his speakers. His business exploded after that.The $660 Europas at that time were the foundation of his company..I imagine they still are, just a little more expensive now.

I peeped your speakers a week ago. They look very interesting! I would love to hear them :drool:..but I know I can't afford the models you offer at this time. So why bother you...

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:02 pm »
Paul..have you considered making a less expensive version for us bottom feeders out there? What I mean by this is something along the lines as what Roy did with the Europas. A model below or around $1000 large Monitor size(call it the Ronin .5 ). His sub $1000 speaker opened the flood gates for Po folks like me to hear what his designs were all about. Before you knew it..there was a buzz every where about his speakers. His business exploded after that.The $660 Europas at that time were the foundation of his company..I imagine they still are, just a little more expensive now.

I peeped your speakers a week ago. They look very interesting! I would love to hear them :drool:..but I know I can't afford the models you offer at this time. So why bother you...

These things have definitely been under consideration for a while, however, an open baffle mid is a prerequisite to the "Nomad Audio Sound" and that requires a 3-way which is a 50% increase in drivers and sometimes more than a 50% increase in crossover parts.  That said, in a lower priced model, I would be open to using less expensive parts than the Copper foil inductors, and ClarityCaps used in the Ronin 1.0.

-Paul

GHM

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:20 pm »

These things have definitely been under consideration for a while, however, an open baffle mid is a prerequisite to the "Nomad Audio Sound" and that requires a 3-way which is a 50% increase in drivers and sometimes more than a 50% increase in crossover parts.  That said, in a lower priced model, I would be open to using less expensive parts than the Copper foil inductors, and ClarityCaps used in the Ronin 1.0.

-Paul

Thanks Paul ,

That sounds like a winner too me  :thumb:. There are parts that can be substituted with minimal damage..to your goal in bringing great sound to the masses..I believe you can do it! From your website..you got me hooked on listening! 8)

I feel every designer taking a different path is great..the goal is the same. So it doesn't matter how you get there..just as long as you do. From the website you certainly think outside the box..I wish you much success! :D

Hopefully you'll brainstorm something up for us guys on a budget. That way I can bug you everyday about when my pair will be ready! :lol:

All the best