Nomad Audio: Niagara Amplifier

PaulHilgeman

Nomad Audio: Niagara Amplifier
« on: 15 Sep 2006, 01:12 pm »
Finally, after building Nzera's about a month ago, two weeks ago I got my Niagara done.  Too much to do, to little time to worry about my own system!!!

The web page will be online this weekend, or early next week.  The Niagara costs $1600.00.  There are two options:

WBT NexGens, for $50 extra.
Right, Left, Center power input - Free, you pick.

It is a Hypex based Class D design.  It is a full dual mono with dual 500VA transformers.  It uses the 400W modules, so 400W into 4 ohms, 200W into 8 Ohms.

They sound incredible as many people here know, I feel that the purity and clarity, and effortless sound is unmatched at this price level and even a big ones up the price scale.  The power is big too.  They easily drive the Ronins to excruciating levels.

One nice thing is the switchable inputs, you can either select the RCA or XLR input.  This makes having a preamp with HT pass-through not an absolute necessity, just flip the switches and be done with it.

Another nice feature is the position of the binding posts, they are about 2 inches above the floor when the amp is directly on the floor.  This makes it easy to get big spades to turn up and get into the binding post.

As with all switching amplifiers, it wastes very little power when it is playing as well as when it isn't playing.

Pics Follow,
Paul Hilgeman

JoshK

Re: Nomad Audio: Niagara Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2006, 02:30 pm »
Like the bulgin vandal switch.  :thumb:  Are you using it to switch the /gnd connection?  That is what I am using it for on my UcD mono's. 

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 03:18 pm »
No,

It is set-up as a momentary with the hypex SS module.

I wasn't sure what to think when I ordered them, but they are some real serious stuff, incredible quality.

-Paul

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:41 pm »
Paul,

Do you think you'll be able to send up the Niagara to our amp shootout?

Cheers

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:28 pm »
Sure,

Just e-mail me shipping info, best way to ship there etc.  Maybe you know someone in buffalo?!?!?

-Paul

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:44 pm »
Check your PM.

Cheers