Nomad Audio : Added Power Response Measurement

PaulHilgeman

Nomad Audio : Added Power Response Measurement
« on: 22 May 2006, 01:42 am »
Check it out:

www.nomad-audio.com

They are completely unsmoothed measurements taken at 10 degree angles from 0 (in front of the speaker) to 80 degrees off axis.

Because this is a coaxial design, the vertical off-axis response would look nearly identical in both directions.

The key here, is not the even ness of the response, rather it is the very linear decrease in level as you go from direct on-axis to far off-axis.  

On a conventional speaker with non-coincident drivers and closed boxes, up to about 500-700Hz, the speaker is almost completely omni-directional; it radiates equal sound in all directions.  As you move higher in the frequency range where the midrange driver is still playing, it starts to beam, the off-axis responses will start to show a dip.  At the crossover frequency, the tweeter is no longer beaming and has very wide dispersion.

In the vertical plane, you have to deal with the differing distances between the midrange and tweeter; this can wreak havoc on the power response, causing very large peaks and dips.

I thought I would add a new post so this wouldn’t get lost in my other one, I hope this is OK with everyone.

Hope you all had a great weekend; the weather was perfect here in Chicago yesterday!!

-Paul Hilgeman