6sn7 tubes on the eXtreme Hurricanes

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« on: 7 Dec 2005, 09:51 pm »
Bill,

I assume 2 driver tubes should be true 6sn7s or VT 231s for power handling, but  can the input tube be replaced with 5692 for quieter and better (?) performance?  What are the combinations you have seen with all your modded units?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:03 pm »
Hi woodsyi,
 Yes, the 5692 is a variation of the 6SN7. In fact, many of these have been rebranded as 6SN7's.
 I have not tried these and not aware of others that have. They will "work" but being such a subjective subject, cannot tell you how they will sound or if you will like them.

I have played with a few tubes. Right now I am running some NOS RCA units in a pair that I am breaking in for a customer and I am liking them.

I have another customer that recently told me he just invested over $2600 in tubes for his EXtremes. If I recall, they were NOS Tung-Sol 6550 or KT88s. For 6SN7's he is running a combination of RCA and GE, I beleive.

I have access to a lot of NOS RCA, GE and Ratheon tubes but have only played with the RCA 6SN7 in the Canes and RCA 6SN7 & 6SL7 in my 25 watt 300B mono blocs.

For more information on some of the better tubes to experiment with in the Canes, I would contact Chris VenHaus of VH Audio as he has had his EXtremes for some time now and has rolled a lot of tubes

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2005, 01:10 pm »
Bill,

I got a pair of RCA redbased 5692 for input to go with the JAN Philips 6sn7wgts for drivers that's sounding good with SWL9.0 SE pre using stock Tung Sol.  Do you still have cryoed 5687 Tung Sols in stock?  If you do, can you send a pair with the speakers?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2005, 01:17 pm »
Hi Rim,
  No, i don't stock the 5687 tubes but you might want to give Dan a call and see what he has in cryo' treated tubes.
 Let me know how those NOS 6SN7 tubes with more hours on them.

The speakers are coming along nicely. I'll send along pictures shortly!!