D100 & Polk LSi-15

ohlins

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« on: 3 Nov 2005, 06:48 pm »
greetings!

any experience of a happy match between the D100 and LSi-15? pretty anxious to find as i need a new power amp soon! thanks......

preamp is adcom GFP-750...

smargo

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2005, 07:55 pm »
i have lsi15's with red wine audio's clarit amp which uses the sonic impact albeit heavily modified and these 5 or so watts are so wonderful on the polk's. amazing isn't it!

thanks,
smargo

CIAudio

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2005, 08:08 pm »
If the ClariT amps work well with them, the D-100's will be even better  :D
D-100 does not have the floating DC or load-dependant frequency response of the ClariT/Tripath designs, not to mention the D-100's reserve power, and current capability to drive low impedance loads.

smargo

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2005, 01:43 am »
Quote from: CIAudio
If the ClariT amps work well with them, the D-100's will be even better  :D
D-100 does not have the floating DC or load-dependant frequency response of the ClariT/Tripath designs, not to mention the D-100's reserve power, and current capability to drive low impedance loads.

agreed! there shouldn't be any problem with the polk's - to me they are subjectively an easy load regardless.

smargo

ohlins

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2005, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: smargo
agreed! there shouldn't be any problem with the polk's - to me they are subjectively an easy load regardless.

smargo

i shd try to secure a home loan from my local dealer then. other choices i have in mind are the odyssey stratos and nuforce ref 8. reading WS's review in stereophile did give me great confidence in the d100.

thanks!

ohlins

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2005, 04:43 pm »
i managed to get my dealer to bring the d100s over for an evening's (about 2 hrs) listening. as the amps warmed up i could hear a gradual improvement. unfortunately he could not leave it with me for a couple of days. if not, i am quite sure that the sound will continue to improve.

with the polks, they were capable of wide macro and micro dynamic swings. i heard thumping bass lines with good pace and timing. the dna1 was no slouch and i was surprised by the obvious difference. maybe a 10 yr old dna1 has lost its juice?

the highs were also more transparent n extended. at no time was it tizzy or bright. just more information and more music. together with better soundstaging, the d100s threw up a bigger sonic picture in my room that extended beyong the speakers' boundaries.

however, the dna1 had a warmer presentation in the mids that gave vocals some alluring quality.

one question though: are the binding posts WBT? if not may i know where are they from?

CIAudio

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2005, 03:07 am »
Glad you enjoyed your brief demo of the D-100's  :D
Who demo'd them for you?
If you only had them powered up for a couple hours, they were probably just starting to sound good...it takes a while for them to get up to temperature.
The binding posts are similar to WBT but sourced from Asia.

ohlins

D100 & Polk LSi-15
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2005, 05:28 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
Glad you enjoyed your brief demo of the D-100's  :D
Who demo'd them for you?
If you only had them powered up for a couple hours, they were probably just starting to sound good...it takes a while for them to get up to temperature.
The binding posts are similar to WBT but sourced from Asia.

its my local dealer in singapore.......i approached him, listened to the amps at the showroom and requested for a home demo. he obliged and brought it down one evening.

i managed to speak to him today and he said the amps are ready at your side. seems like u guys are putting them thru a 48 hr burn at the factory.