Treating a cathedral ceiling

BobRex

« on: 21 Jun 2005, 07:57 pm »
I just moved into a new house and have been given the great room to do with as I please. (Well, not really, but let's just go with that for now.) The room is 20x17 with a cathedral ceiling, ridge running parallel to the short wall.  The room is an echo chamber right now, even with wall2wall and heavily stuffed furniture.  What's the best way to unobtrusively treat (first) the ceiling and (then) the rest of the room?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:02 pm »
Put a drop ceiling in and stuff the cavity with fiberglass bat?  :mrgreen: On a serious note, a picture or two may help determining where and how treatment can be placed.

P.S.  Welcome to AC.

BobRex

Trating a Cetherdeal Ceiling - the room description
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2005, 05:33 pm »
Sorry, no pictures - I'm an analog kinda guy :mrgreen:

Here's a better description of the room.  The room is 20 x 17, the system will sit on a long wall, one corner of which is cut off for a fireplace.  To visualize, the fireplace is on the right side of the room.  The short wall (sharing the fireplace) had a double window with relatively heavy curtains (Weaver's cloth) and shades.  An antique secretary sit across the back corner.  The back wall has a 5ft opening (Actually open french pocket doors, they can and probably will be closed for most listening sessions - the doorway is about 4ft from the corner, so it's affect is minimal.)  Next to the door opening is the listening sofa and a 2 end tables.  The opposite short wall has a chair and another french pocket door (in center of wall).

The ceiling starts at 8ft and peaks (in the center of the room) probably around 16ft.  The peak runs parallel with the short walls.

Given some decorating limitations, I'm stuck with the equipment/listening positions, also the sofa is against the back wall and must stay there.  Both upholstered pieces are colonial style with high overstuffed backs.  The room has wall to wall carpet.

When I walk around the room, clapping my hands, I hear a lot of slap echo, more the closer I get to the center of the room.  Dog barks seem to echo forever  :roll:

I was wondering if placing something at the peak would reduce the build-up of pressure and hence reduce the echo.

8thnerve

Re: Trating a Cetherdeal Ceiling - the room description
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2005, 09:22 pm »
Quote from: BobRex
When I walk around the room, clapping my hands, I hear a lot of slap echo, more the closer I get to the center of the room. Dog barks seem to echo forever icon_rolleyes.gif

I was wondering if placing something at the peak would reduce the build-up of pressure and hence reduce the echo.

Yes, it would.  Two panels at the peak will help out a quite a bit, but you'll need to treat your vertical corners as well, and a few of the tri-corner areas.  Email me for more specifics for your room.

Best Regards,

Nathan Loyer
Eighth Nerve