amazing bargain subwoofer - the Yamaha YST-SW205

hoxuanduc

« Reply #40 on: 7 May 2003, 08:13 pm »
Audiojerry,

How do you have the subs hooked up?  High level or low level?  Are they fed the same signal (mono) or stereo?

I've never had much luck integrating subs with monitors, but perhaps I'll try again.

Thanks,

Duc

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #41 on: 7 May 2003, 09:54 pm »
Hmmm, so the Yammies are still sounding good?  If they are that good they'd be killer for a couple of bedroom systems in my place.  I like the vertical layout of the unit, it wouldn't take up much floorspace.  And the price is awesome.

audiojerry

« Reply #42 on: 8 May 2003, 02:42 pm »
Quote from: hoxuanduc
Audiojerry,

How do you have the subs hooked up?  High level or low level?  Are they fed the same signal (mono) or stereo?
Duc
I'm using my second set of preamp outs and using each sub as separate channels. Originally, I had each sub positioned next to each monitor's speaker stand, which was ok, but when I moved the subs to an asymetric arrangement against the walls, they seemed to be more transparent and loaded the room more evenly.

The monitors are running full range. I'd like to high-pass them, but I have not been happy with anything I've tried.

OBF

« Reply #43 on: 8 May 2003, 06:24 pm »
Audiojerry,

Have you tried a high quality (whatever definition) active crossover?  I can't recall if you've ever tried and gotten unsatisfactory results with something like a Marchand, or only less transparent actives.  I'm thinking of going that route myself so I'm very interested in what has and hasn't worked for other people.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 8 May 2003, 07:07 pm »
obf, i presently have a pair of proac 1sc's in my rig, (same monitor audiojerry is using), on loan from a relative.  he has only used them full-range in his system(s), either w/, or w/o the aid of a powered sub.  my rig has a marchand xm-9 actively crossing the proacs to a pair of vmps subs.  my relative commented that he's heard details from the proacs that he's never heard from 'em otherwise, so the marchand must not be taking away much if anyting from detail/transparency.   he also said he's never heard 'em sound so good overall...  :wink:  

the only other speaker i've tried myself, w/& w/o the marchand, was my thiel 3.5's, which sounded better thru the x-over.  whatever the marchand was doing to the thiels was outweighed by the benefits of losing the thiels' eq, & its bass driver not seeing much below 70hz...

doug s.

HChi

« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2003, 05:22 pm »
audiojerry,
   How is YST-SW305 compared to 205?   It seems to give wider x-over range down to 40hz, playing louder at 200w and lower down to 20hz.  Has anyone compared these two subs?  Are you still using them with ProAc?  Have you tried them with Criterion or Duliceo?   Thanks. -Howard

audiojerry

« Reply #46 on: 20 May 2003, 08:53 pm »
Quote from: HChi
audiojerry,
   How is YST-SW305 compared to 205?   It seems to give wider x-over range down to 40hz, playing louder at 200w and lower down to 20hz.  Has anyone compared these two subs?  Are you still using them with ProAc?  Have you tried them with Criterion or Duliceo?   Thanks. -Howard

I haven't tried the 305.

I'm extremely pleased with how the two 205's integrate with the ProAc's as well as my other monitors.

I haven't tried the Marchand. Does anyone know if they offer a refund policy?