12AT7 & 12AX7A for the Jolida 502A

JLMBiker

« on: 22 May 2005, 06:43 pm »
Dear Bill
i have had a Joilda 502A for the past 7 years, and still used the original RUBY tubes (and was very happy with it)
But now one of them is broken, and i would like to change them (and will probably take your advice and go KT88 SED or Sovtek)
My question is - if i also want to change the driver tubes what will you recommend to match the above?
Please advise
thanks
hagai

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2005, 08:52 pm »
HI Hagai,
  In all honesty, I would not go with anything over the top unless you want to spend the money for NOS. If you want to maintain a smoother, more seductive presentation, the SED KT88 tubes would be a good choice. If you are looking for more authority, detail and resolution, the Electro Harmonix 6550 or KT88 cannot be beat. The Sovtek are the best when it comes to reliability but it is my opinion that the EH are the best all around. If you want to maintain the presentation you have had over the past years, look into something along the line of Valve Art KT88.

For the 12AX7 and 12AT7 tubes, again, the EH tubes are among the best current production used in the Jolida amplifiers.

Good luck and happy listening!!!