Bryston Cables 75 ohms

bunkertoy

Bryston Cables 75 ohms
« on: 19 Aug 2023, 11:45 pm »
Hi all,
Apologies if this might sound like a dumb question.
I just bought some used Bryston RCA Interconnects. They appear to be 2, 75 ohm cables. I found out after purchasing them that the seller was using them in his Bryston BP26da, which makes sense as he probably needed the 75 ohms for the digital signal.

I was hoping to apply the cable to my analog system. Probably connecting from VTL tube pre amp to my Bryston 3B3 amp.
From searching this does not seem to be an issue. Just wanted to ask the audio purist out there, is this a no no or makes no diff whatsoever.
Seems like they will work and I won't notice.

Love to hear your thoughts.

bunkertoy

Re: Bryston Cables 75 ohms
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2023, 03:21 pm »
I found an old post where James indicated the RCA interconnect cables they used to use were Canare (75ohm).
I'm guessing I was over thinking the cable.
Sorry for the dumb inquiry.
Cheers

Re: Bryston Cables - how can you tell they are authentic?
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2008, 12:03 pm »
Hi All,

Yes we use Van damme for speaker cable (9.5) gauge. And we use Canare (75ohm) for RCA interconnect and Van damme low noise microphone cable for XLR. The RCA and XLR connectors we use though are specially ordered. The RCA connector is heavily GOLD plated (including the internal spring) and breaks and makes ground first and last when you plug and unplug to prevent pops and noise. The XLR connector is gold plated as well (so are the ones on the amplifiers) to ensure that no corrosion or rectification goes on over time.

That being said we are always experimenting and testing cables as we go so the cables have changed over the years.  Our philosophy with cables is quite simple - "the best cable is no cable at all " - so we look for the cable that 'changes the signal the least".  Then we listen to it in a variety of our demo systems and decide if a change is needed.  So far we have been happy with the cables we now use but the search continues.

Again we never intended to get into the cable business. Customers would call and ask what we were using in our studio setups or just because they were tired and confused with all the 'cable marketing at the expense of scientific marketing' going on in the cable industry. So we just decided to offer to our customers the current cables we were using in our professional setups.

I like the idea of labelling the cables left and right but with so many people using cables in a surround setup its hard to know where the left/right cables will eventually be used.

james

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2023, 03:26 pm »
Note that many if not most quality coax cables have a 75 Ohm impedance.  All coax uniform coax cables have a Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance. It turns out that 75 Ohms is a convenient ratio between center conductor diameter and shield diameter.

R. Daneel

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2023, 05:03 pm »
Hi all,
Apologies if this might sound like a dumb question.
I just bought some used Bryston RCA Interconnects. They appear to be 2, 75 ohm cables. I found out after purchasing them that the seller was using them in his Bryston BP26da, which makes sense as he probably needed the 75 ohms for the digital signal.

I was hoping to apply the cable to my analog system. Probably connecting from VTL tube pre amp to my Bryston 3B3 amp.
From searching this does not seem to be an issue. Just wanted to ask the audio purist out there, is this a no no or makes no diff whatsoever.
Seems like they will work and I won't notice.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Hello!

As far as I know, Bryston uses cables (the actual wire) from different vendors so the best thing to do is to read what it says on the cable and then run an online search for the exact manufacturer and model number.

But as a general rule, any coaxial cable with a characteristic impedance of 75 Ohms will work both as a digital (S/PDIF) and analogue interconnect. Coaxial cables are typically used for digital A/V and analogue video transmission and because these types of signals are transmitted at frequencies that are much, much higher than 20 kHz, this also means coaxial cables can transmit audio without losses.

In addition, coaxial cables are typically well-shielded and low capacitance which is always a good thing when analogue interconnects are in question.

Hope this helps.
Cheers - Antun

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2023, 06:34 pm »
75 ohm usually just means coaxial construction as that’s what’s used in high frequency applications where 75 ohms matters, like digital, and RF/TV. It doesn’t matter as much in audio band frequencies (analog) you are right that the good shielding makes them quiet.

bunkertoy

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2023, 06:58 pm »
Thanks for the clarity.

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2023, 09:48 pm »
After reading the original post and subsequent posts.  I looked at my speaker cables, with Bryston imprinted the cable. The cable is composed of two 2 wire cables.  I'm told these are Van Damme. On the Bryston cable there is the numbers 12/4, among a bunch of other numbers.  I'm assuming that means a total of four 12 gauge wires.  Some where in a past post it was noted that the Bryston cable was 9.5 gauge.  Not sure how you get to 9.5?

Also, anyone know what the current Van Damme equivalent is today?
Thanks,
TLW

J2Ordan

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2023, 12:02 am »
12/4 means 4 - 12 gauge cables. So if two 12 g gauge cables are combined together, the is an effective gauge of around 9 gauge. Perhaps this is the 9.5 gauge spec you came across.

John