Tidal Max support for Manic Moose BDP

Lwxian

Tidal Max support for Manic Moose BDP
« on: 13 Aug 2023, 12:04 pm »
Hi James,

As Tidal have just released Tidal Max that streams FLAC at 24bit 192khz. Will Bryston be releasing a firmware that support Tidal Max soon?

At the moment... the streaming High setting in Manic Moose is the Low (Up to 320 kbps) in Tidal. Lossless setting in Manic Moose is the High (Up to 16-bit, 44.1 kHz) in Tidal. Will there be a Max setting for the Tidal Max (Up to 24-bit, 192 kHz)?

Thanks Bryston Team for the support!

Leong

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Tidal Max support for Manic Moose BDP
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2023, 01:18 pm »
Not sure on that - I will check with Chris.

james

Lwxian

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2023, 02:17 pm »
Hi James,

Any good news from Chris? Last official firmware update is October last year. Pretty long ago.

Thanks!

Leong

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2023, 03:36 pm »
From Chris:

Hi James,

Best I can tell TIDAL Max is only available in native TIDAL apps, even using TIDAL Connect from a native TIDAL app will result in sound quality reverting from Max to High (Lossless).  The only way to get bit perfect playback from TIDAL in the highest resolution is using the TIDAL desktop apps which can take over an audio device.  Part of the reason for this limitation might be related to the fact that part of TIDALs “High Resolution” library is just unfolded MQA tracks (which requires the player to support MQA) and not actually high-res lossless tracks (although at least some of the library is, but not all).

Chris

Lwxian

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2023, 02:34 pm »
Thanks James,

I have done some test on the same music files from Tidal played by Manic Moose Native MPD Tidal player and using Bryston as a DLNA renderer where Bryston is directly connected to Tidal via 3rd party app like mconnectHD that could identify Bryston as a native player.

When using Manic Moose (MPD mode) Tidal Player playing the latest album from the Movie Barbie, At Lossless mode, Bryston is playing FLAC at 16bit 44kHz at Bitrate 862kbps. The Bryston BDA 3 also reflects at 44.1 kHz which matches the playback.

If I set Bryston player as a native DLNA Renderer as above, I could use a 3rd Party App mconnectHD to play Tidal as a Tidal connect mode via DLNA.

Playing the same album will get Bryston to play FLAC at 24bit 48kHz at Bitrate 1741kbps (Double of what Manic Moose MPD Tidal player could play even at Lossless setting). The Bryston BDA 3 also reflects at 48 kHz which matches the playback.

With the above test shows that in fact, Bryston player definitely has the capability to take FLAC files at Tidal Max settings (24bit up to 192 kHz). It is just that the current firmware setting that limits the capability of what Tidal can provide.

Really look forward to the update of the firmware soon.

Best Regards
Mr. Leong

zeeman

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2023, 03:17 pm »
Looks like Tidal will be making the "Max Audio" codes available to Roon and other partners later this year...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-compatibility-with-new-tidal-hires-flac/246363

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2023, 05:50 am »
Great info, thanks zeeman and Mr. Leong.

James, hopefully Chris is aware that Tidal will be sharing new code and an update for MM or OS3 will be possible shortly thereafter. 

Stef