Anyone here using hearing aids to listen to music?...music,not streaming

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I looked at used, but thought it better to make sure the battery was new.  Used is a crap shoot, even through a big seller like Amazon. 

Huck

I looked at used, but thought it better to make sure the battery was new.  Used is a crap shoot, even through a big seller like Amazon.
I guess I will just wait a few days for my test and hear what the AO has to say.Huck

dflee

My mother is completely deaf without the use of an HA. In her younger years she traveled to Chicago with my father and saw a lot of the great ones (Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and many others). Now her hearing was troublesome do to scarlatina as a child. Back then she had to quit school since she couldn't understand the teachers. As each child was born (4 of us) her hearing depleted more. So by the mid sixties she was left with no hearing without the use of an HA in her right ear and no help available in the left. She has to have a specific mold of the ear piece in order for it to work and has to have it replaced every couple of years. When she gets an aid she will routinely make numerous visits to get it right. She does not have a programable aid other than they must do it in shop. She came to visit with me a while back and I played some of the music she grew up with and heard live. She sat and cried saying she didn't think she would ever hear it again. I don't have a great system but it was doable for me. She uses Phonak and just that one HA runs over four grand and has to be replaced every eight years or so plus or minus. I was born with tinnitus and of course it has gotten worse over time. Weird thing about me is if I'm in a silenced room I can barely stay awake. The ringing in my ears lulls me right to sleep. When I lay down I will fall asleep within a minute. I need to be looking at HAs cause here lately the ringing has increased thus my understanding of speech is quite muddled. It's not that I don't hear it, it's just muddled. Problem is it's only bad at certain octaves (voice range predominately) so an HA that increases everything just won't work. I do hope you (Hank) come up with a solution and let us know how things transpire.

Don

Huck

My mother is completely deaf without the use of an HA. In her younger years she traveled to Chicago with my father and saw a lot of the great ones (Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and many others). Now her hearing was troublesome do to scarlatina as a child. Back then she had to quit school since she couldn't understand the teachers. As each child was born (4 of us) her hearing depleted more. So by the mid sixties she was left with no hearing without the use of an HA in her right ear and no help available in the left. She has to have a specific mold of the ear piece in order for it to work and has to have it replaced every couple of years. When she gets an aid she will routinely make numerous visits to get it right. She does not have a programable aid other than they must do it in shop. She came to visit with me a while back and I played some of the music she grew up with and heard live. She sat and cried saying she didn't think she would ever hear it again. I don't have a great system but it was doable for me. She uses Phonak and just that one HA runs over four grand and has to be replaced every eight years or so plus or minus. I was born with tinnitus and of course it has gotten worse over time. Weird thing about me is if I'm in a silenced room I can barely stay awake. The ringing in my ears lulls me right to sleep. When I lay down I will fall asleep within a minute. I need to be looking at HAs cause here lately the ringing has increased thus my understanding of speech is quite muddled. It's not that I don't hear it, it's just muddled. Problem is it's only bad at certain octaves (voice range predominately) so an HA that increases everything just won't work. I do hope you (Hank) come up with a solution and let us know how things transpire.

Don

I have different a form of tinnitus in each ear,the right has a high pitched 'steam leak under high pressure' sound,where the left has a low rumble,like a train idyling .
My tinnitus is actually worse when I first get up and you would think it 'should' be after some loud sounds...go figure/!
I will post my results.Huck

OldScott

Cochlear implant?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Cochlear implant?
Really for those with next to no hearing left. 

Huck

Cochlear implant?
Maan...don't tell me that. :(
I am hoping my hearing has just left for a little vacation and I am hoping it will come back soon.
Have not been able to listen to my stereo for 2 weeks!!. Huck
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2022, 04:51 pm by Huck »

Huck

Just for kicks,I decided to try and listen to my upstairs computer headphone rig with Amazon Unlimited and to be honest,doesn't sound too bad,only thing is that the volume knob on my headphone amp is now around 3 o'clock position,where I would normally listen around 10 o'clock.
Would this louder volume make my hearing any worse than it is? I thought maybe some vibes hitting the old 'drums' would loosen 'em up a bit.
Both L/R sides sound pretty even,as far as stereo separation goes and I can hear the ping ping on the bell of the ride cymbal quite clear,nothing really outta whack...weird....only,everything has to be louder.
My Benchmark DAC1 USB headphone amp is notorious for a noisy volume pot,but static noise goes away after a few left and right turns of the VC,but now I hear none of that with my hearing loss...bonus!Huck

artur9

Problem is it's only bad at certain octaves (voice range predominately) so an HA that increases everything just won't work.

When I got mine, I was told that previous to the current generation of computer chips and DSP, any hearing aid that just made everything louder would not have helped.  I have certain frequencies that need a boost (big boost, in same cases).

Beware of non-DSP hearing aids that just make everything louder.

artur9

Just for kicks,I decided to try and listen to my upstairs computer headphone rig with Amazon Unlimited and to be honest,doesn't sound too bad,only thing is that the volume knob on my headphone amp is now around 3 o'clock position,where I would normally listen around 10 o'clock.

One thing I wish I could have gotten before I kicked my audiologist to the curb was my ears' frequency response.  Then I could maybe use DSP on the computer to help out my headphones during meetings.

Huck

One thing I wish I could have gotten before I kicked my audiologist to the curb was my ears' frequency response.  Then I could maybe use DSP on the computer to help out my headphones during meetings.

I have a feeling that I will be 'going through' a few AO's before I am happy.I hope my AO I see tomorrow has some idea of what I am 'looking for' as far as speech and mainly music programs/settings....maybe she will surprise me.Huck
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2022, 09:38 pm by Huck »

Mariusz Uszynski

I have a feeling that I will be 'going through' a few AO's before I am happy.I hope my AO I see tomorrow has some idea of what I am 'looking for' as far as speech and mainly music programs/settings....maybe she will surprise me.Huck

Huck, how do you want me to reply to your e-mail, if you sent me an e-mail from noreplay@audiocircle.com?????????????????

Huck

Sorry.I don't know what I did. Did you get my message at all,just couldn't reply?...I dunno,just send me whatever..P.M.? Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2022, 08:50 am by Huck »

Mariusz Uszynski

Sorry.I don't know what I did. Did you get my message at all,just couldn't reply?...I dunno,just send me whatever..P.M.? Tahanks,Huck

I got message, but coulnd't reply.
My e-mail; mariouszynski@hotmail.com

Huck

Sorry.I don't know what I did. Did you get my message at all,just couldn't reply?...I dunno,just send me whatever..P.M.? Tahanks,Huck

I got message, but coulnd't reply.
My e-mail; mariouszynski@hotmail.com
I sent you a P.M. Huck

Huck

Is this something(ears frequency response) I should bring up with my audiologist today when I go for my hearing test or maybe there is something else I should ask,that you didn't or forgot to at the time and wish you did?
*This question is for anyone who would like to comment*.Thanks,Huck

artur9

Is this something(ears frequency response) I should bring up with my audiologist today when I go for my hearing test

The audiologist and I had a big fight over payment so that dominated our conversation.  I don't know how much the audiologist knows about frequency response and computer-based DSP but I'd try to get that response chart and actual dB values for those frequencies.

I found this that shows what I'm talking about: https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php

I think HA are required to be covered nowadays but then it wasn't.  I knew my insurance covered them.   I asked them pointblank if they took insurance, they said yes, charged me anyway then refused the insurance company's payment.  The insurance company spent almost(over?) a year fighting with them about it before the audiologist relented.

Huck

The audiologist and I had a big fight over payment so that dominated our conversation.  I don't know how much the audiologist knows about frequency response and computer-based DSP but I'd try to get that response chart and actual dB values for those frequencies.

I found this that shows what I'm talking about: https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php

I think HA are required to be covered nowadays but then it wasn't.  I knew my insurance covered them.   I asked them pointblank if they took insurance, they said yes, charged me anyway then refused the insurance company's payment.  The insurance company spent almost(over?) a year fighting with them about it before the audiologist relented.

I think my insurance pays up to $500 for HA's. Canada Gov't (OHIP) kicks in nothing as far as I know,but they may be tax deductable.(not sure).
I want a copy of my hearing test,but I think they kinda  'own' it and are not required or obligated  to hand it over.
Maybe if I pay for my test I will get one..I dunno,but I will ask first off.
It's not like an eye-glass prescription where you can go anywhere you like to buy glasses.I don't think they want you to 'shop around' for HA's,that's why I am pretty sure I won't be getting a copy of my test,they want you to buy the HA's from them,which is my own opinion.
My ENT has his own testing facility,so I will see how far I can get with a exam readout.Huck

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2022, 04:48 pm by Huck »

Huck

I asked for a copy of my audio exam and they give it to me no problem,which surprised me. I definitely need HA's.
The exam only tests at 250,500,1000,4000,8000Hz which I guess is the range for speech,surely not music.
Gonna go with at least one more AO then shop for a pair of HA's and a phone(looking at the iPhone SE,any good?).Huck :thumb:
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2022, 11:48 pm by Huck »

dflee

Bought the SE for my wife due to her vision impairment.
She doesn't use it for much anything than to make calls and as Siri questions but I think it's great for what it's intended for.

Don