GR Research Criterion Review

nathanm

« Reply #60 on: 13 Mar 2003, 11:39 pm »
I ran the Criterions full range.  The sub is separate.  Although I feel that if music has low end frequencies in it your system should produce them, but the Criterions do not NEED a subwoofer to be enjoyable in my opinion.  In other words, a sub enhances the response rather than "fixes" a bass-shy response as would be the case if they rolled off higher.  They don't go as deep as my Mackie monitors which are just a bit larger than these, but the bass is good for what it does.

Oh yeah, I should note that the preamp used for all of this was an Antique Sound Labs TwinHead.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #61 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:26 am »
danny,

my sound-anchor stands are ~25", w/their spikes.  for my audition, should i get something like concrete blocks to raise 'em up a few inches?  or, will tilting 'em back be sufficient?

also, how do the mtm wersions compare in this regard?  same ~29" stand height for optimum seated listening?  same basic effect when ya stand up, as w/the two-driver model?

thanks,

doug s.

nathanm

« Reply #62 on: 14 Mar 2003, 04:08 am »
I don't have stands that high, but I tried putting them up on my old cabinets which are 35" high, but I put them upside down and\or on their sides to get the tweeter closer to ear level.  Not too shabby, but I noticed that the bass response suffered a bit as opposed to being closer to the floor.  It seems that they sound best with the middle of the speaker lined up with your ears as far as imaging goes.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
on axis
« Reply #63 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:37 pm »
Doug is right. The reference axis is midway between the two drivers.

Reference axis on the MTM is tweeter axis. Off axis vertically on the MTM design is actually pretty good. moving the mic from the tweeter axis to the top of the box still produces a flat response. Even as height is increased sensitivity is lost evenly with no suck outs.

Optimal stand height is 25" on the MTM.

Carl V

Criterio Review
« Reply #64 on: 19 Nov 2003, 11:44 pm »
I have had the pleasure of listening to a Demo pair of Cirterions in my home.  These were the RAD built Solid maple enclosures...SOLID.
Nice work Brian.
These speakers were well rec'vd by those who heard them.
They were demo'd next to many other speakers extensively by myself and quite a few friends and friends of friends.  They were schleped to three homes and a Dealer's show room.  SO lotsa different equipment and rooms.

At the same time another Cirlcles demo speaker was auditioned, the Rick Craig designed RC3R....see my comments under the RC3R thread.  That thread will also fill you in on the myriad of equipment and the contrasting speakers these Criterions were compared to.

I have heard the Criterions on a few other occasions in different locations with unfamilar gear & rooms.  I have also had the pleasure of  hearing many of Danny's other designs.  Most recently VSAC.  

In short very nice speakers.
I didn't find them difficult to drive...many different types of amps were employed.   Nor did any of us find them difficult to set-up in rooms.

Some people have heard these speakers only at DIY show conditions or read commnets about their sound from these larger Venue audtions, this is unfortunate.  Because, they didn't get to hear the full measure of the Criterions abiltiies.
Namely:
1.a very nice spectral balance.

Yes they are mini-monitors and as such they can benefit from the augmentation of a sub woofer.  Altho' it's not needed if you listen at realistic levels in normal sized living rooms and you don't prefer Organ, BIg Orchestral Warhorses of the Synth bass of Pop recordings.  A few of the guys really like Loud and Raw sounding Rock...Metalica, Alice in chains etc., The Criterions with active corssovers to a sub leveled the playing field. It got loud and did so with aplomb.  They didn't snicker.

2. They image and sound stage quite well.

If you are critical of this you won't be dissappointed.
Set them up so your ears are at tweeter level or just beneath i.e., midway between the two drivers and you are home free.  Very slight toe in...but each room is unique.

3.  They are not that fussy for sources or amps.

I have heard these and the Diluceos being driven with a wide range of amps.  If you can't get them to sing with the usual suspects...I think
someting else might be at play.  And I didn't find the need to search for that certain elusive synergy of wires, filters or tube brands.

SO was there a consensus of Opinons? No.  Like you could ever get 6 or more audio nuts to agree completely...not likely.  People split on the usual lines of fuller range monitors VS Mini-monitor thoughts.  

A guy who listens to Hayden's and Rel subs...was green with envy.  Another guy who has Merlins (VSM & TSM) was impressed and agreed they equaled his more expensive TSM monitors but he prefered his VSM with BAM.  Gee, 2-3X more expensive and he said he slightly prefered his Merlins.  

Guys who like bigger speakers still liked bigger speakers, but conceded that well set up Mini-monitors and good subs changed the picture.  The issue for them was the added complexity of subs, amps, XO, calbes and floor space/rack space.  Ok Fair en'uff.  

One of the guys is still on the fence when it comes to "musicality" pace-n-ryhthym of Full range drivers/High Efficiency speakers.....but these flatlanders liked the detail and air of the Criterions and thought the Midband to be the most uncolored of the many Speakers on hand.  Of course some of you reading this may snicker and say gee high priase from guys who think Fostex and Lowther's are the gold satndard.
But the bigger picture is that they liked the toe tapping portryal of the music we listend to....and they didn't object to brighter treble or lack of bass some pointed to.

On the show room floor of a nice Hi-Fi shop.  The staff and customers were split along the usual lines of Bigger warmer sounding monitors or the "critical audiophile" monitor camp.

All in all a great speaker at a killer price.  It all comes down to what flavor of Ice cream you prefer. French Vanilla, Vanilla Bean ben-n-Jerrys or Italian rich Gelato.  

Nice Job Danny & Brian....thank you

Carl V

Criterio Review
« Reply #65 on: 19 Nov 2003, 11:44 pm »
I have had the pleasure of listening to a Demo pair of Cirterions in my home.  These were the RAD built Solid maple enclosures...SOLID.
Nice work Brian.
These speakers were well rec'vd by those who heard them.
They were demo'd next to many other speakers extensively by myself and quite a few friends and friends of friends.  They were schleped to three homes and a Dealer's show room.  SO lotsa different equipment and rooms.

At the same time another Cirlcles demo speaker was auditioned, the Rick Craig designed RC3R....see my comments under the RC3R thread.  That thread will also fill you in on the myriad of equipment and the contrasting speakers these Criterions were compared to.

I have heard the Criterions on a few other occasions in different locations with unfamilar gear & rooms.  I have also had the pleasure of  hearing many of Danny's other designs.  Most recently VSAC & DIY TEXAS 2003

In short very nice speakers.
I didn't find them difficult to drive...many different types of amps were employed.   Nor did any of us find them difficult to set-up in rooms.

Some people have heard these speakers only at DIY show conditions or read commnets about their sound from these larger Venue audtions, this is unfortunate.  Because, they didn't get to hear the full measure of the Criterions abiltiies.
Namely:
1.a very nice spectral balance.

Yes they are mini-monitors and as such they can benefit from the augmentation of a sub woofer.  Altho' it's not needed if you listen at realistic levels in normal sized living rooms and you don't prefer Organ, BIg Orchestral Warhorses of the Synth bass of Pop recordings.  A few of the guys really like Loud and Raw sounding Rock...Metalica, Alice in chains etc., The Criterions with active corssovers to a sub leveled the playing field. It got loud and did so with aplomb.  They didn't snicker.

2. They image and sound stage quite well.

If you are critical of this you won't be dissappointed.
Set them up so your ears are at tweeter level or just beneath i.e., midway between the two drivers and you are home free.  Very slight toe in...but each room is unique.

3.  They are not that fussy for sources or amps.

I have heard these and the Diluceos being driven with a wide range of amps.  If you can't get them to sing with the usual suspects...I think
someting else might be at play.  And I didn't find the need to search for that certain elusive synergy of wires, filters or tube brands.

SO was there a consensus of Opinons? No.  Like you could ever get 6 or more audio nuts to agree completely...not likely.  People split on the usual lines of fuller range monitors VS Mini-monitor thoughts.  

A guy who listens to Hayden's and Rel subs...was green with envy.  Another guy who has Merlins (VSM & TSM) was impressed and agreed they equaled his more expensive TSM monitors but he prefered his VSM with BAM.  Gee, 2-3X more expensive and he said he slightly prefered his Merlins.  

Guys who like bigger speakers still liked bigger speakers, but conceded that well set up Mini-monitors and good subs changed the picture.  The issue for them was the added complexity of subs, amps, XO, calbes and floor space/rack space.  Ok Fair en'uff.  

One of the guys is still on the fence when it comes to "musicality" pace-n-ryhthym of Full range drivers/High Efficiency speakers.....but these flatlanders liked the detail and air of the Criterions and thought the Midband to be the most uncolored of the many Speakers on hand.  Of course some of you reading this may snicker and say gee high priase from guys who think Fostex and Lowther's are the gold satndard.
But the bigger picture is that they liked the toe tapping portryal of the music we listend to....and they didn't object to brighter treble or lack of bass some pointed to.

On the show room floor of a nice Hi-Fi shop.  The staff and customers were split along the usual lines of Bigger warmer sounding monitors or the "critical audiophile" monitor camp.

All in all a great speaker at a killer price.  It all comes down to what flavor of Ice cream you prefer. French Vanilla, Vanilla Bean ben-n-Jerrys or Italian rich Gelato.  

Nice Job Danny & Brian....thank you

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Bigger better?
« Reply #66 on: 20 Nov 2003, 03:16 pm »
Maybe next year I will come out with a larger three way version in that series to satisfy those who prefer the sound of a big speaker and give them that "critical audiophile" delight at the same time.

Consider it put it on my list.