High Value Amplifier Manufacturers?

meathead18

High Value Amplifier Manufacturers?
« on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:09 pm »
Hello,

I am fairly new here, but have browsed and taken advice from this forum over the years. I'm curious who you folks consider to be "high value" manufacturers of amplifiers. What I mean by that, is a company that produces products that are "worth more than it's asking price" or considered to offer a lot of bang for the buck.

I prefer to purchase new or newer equipment. I currently run a Harman Kardon HK3490 in one set up and a Marantz PM6005 in a separate set-up. I'm looking to upgrade the HK to something with more power.

On the amplifier front, I feel like at one time Emotiva was considered high value. I recall when SVS was new and their subs were very high value in the respect that a $700 sub from SVS was much better than other manufacturers $700 subs. I can name off a bunch of current and past "high value" speaker companies (like Ascend, HVL, Philharmonic Audio etc.) but when it comes to amplification I don't know of too many other than Schiit or Emotiva, maybe Parasound.

witchdoctor

Re: High Value Amplifier Manufacturers?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2019, 01:37 am »
Hello,

I am fairly new here, but have browsed and taken advice from this forum over the years. I'm curious who you folks consider to be "high value" manufacturers of amplifiers. What I mean by that, is a company that produces products that are "worth more than it's asking price" or considered to offer a lot of bang for the buck.

I prefer to purchase new or newer equipment. I currently run a Harman Kardon HK3490 in one set up and a Marantz PM6005 in a separate set-up. I'm looking to upgrade the HK to something with more power.

On the amplifier front, I feel like at one time Emotiva was considered high value. I recall when SVS was new and their subs were very high value in the respect that a $700 sub from SVS was much better than other manufacturers $700 subs. I can name off a bunch of current and past "high value" speaker companies (like Ascend, HVL, Philharmonic Audio etc.) but when it comes to amplification I don't know of too many other than Schiit or Emotiva, maybe Parasound.

I would say Parasound or The Digital Amplifier Company here on AC. Their new 5 channel cherry comes in below $600 a channel, you should try posting a question in their circle too.

If you are going two channel the Paradigm PW Link comes with room correction, a DAC, and the DTS Play Fi app. The Klipsch Powergate is really sweet for an integrated amp.

One more to check out is Nuprime, lots of great reviews.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2019, 01:45 am »
The Audio by Van Alstine amps are very high value, especially if you are patient and get one of the used or demo amps that show up on their website.
https://avahifi.com/

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2019, 03:00 am »
Value is relative. There are MANY manufacturers that make very high value gear. Some are more consistent about it than others. What might help you and us moreso is if we had an understanding of your power needs and budget. What speakers are you powering? How big is your room? What are your general listening preferences? What's your budget? :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2019, 01:42 pm »
Gentlemen please, none of the suggestions here come anywhere near Cheap and Cheerful guidelines except the Powergate's massively discounted current price.  It's a great topic, but perhaps we should move it over to Solid State if the OP is looking for something over the $350 limit for components.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2019, 04:16 pm »
The Parasound ZAmp v3 is around $300. I own one and it punches way above it's price. The Paradigm PW Amp is $179 and with ARC engaged integrates speakers and subs like a much pricier piece of equipment.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2019, 05:27 pm »
Look very serious at the Burson Bang amp. $600 reatail but half price at Audio Connexions. This amp will not disappoint unless you need more power.

I guess you are.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2019, 06:10 pm »
For under $350, an Emotiva amp is your best option. 

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2019, 06:14 pm »
This if you can solder a handful of connections.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162602.0

cujobob

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2019, 12:58 am »
Based on my reading getting back into this hobby:

Yamaha is the way to go for receivers. They are dependable, without major quirks seen with some other brands, and their amplifiers are well designed. They also make fantastic integrated amps.

Schiit is probably the best for budget DACs (there are some good Chinese DACs, as well, but QC issues and questionable parts make them less appealing).

Schiit is the way to go for budget preamplifiers that are passive or using a tube buffer. The Saga is $350 new, has both passive and tube buffer modes, stepped attenuators instead of volume pots, and remote controlled. They also have a fully balanced option for more.

For power amplifiers, this is where it gets tricky. A/B is still well ahead of class D in measured performance, but in a few years that will change. Hypex Ncore and Icepower modules are pretty good DIY options there, but otherwise you’re better off staying away.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2019, 03:04 am »
I'm not sure Yamaha is the way to go for receivers. They're good, for sure. But I wouldn't say they're "the way to go" across the board. Not at all. I've owned a Yamaha Aventage for several years, so I'm not saying this because I don't like them. I do. I just wouldn't discount Marantz, Denon, or Pioneer in one's search.

Schiit makes very good gear at various price points, agree. Gotta like that they make stuff in the US which means you get US customer support too. This is a big plus in my opinion. Have a problem, just give them a call.

A/B is well ahead of Class D in measured performance? Please elaborate. This sounds a bit out of date.

Hypex NCORE and ICE have proven to be viable technologies without need for cautionary statements added. Old ICE amp modules are not as good as newer models made within the last 5 years or so, though. The latest are obviously the best. Again, I think your info on the matter seems rather out of date. However, it might not matter in this case as I'm not sure one can find a sub $350 amp with newer Hypex or ICE technology. The only thing that comes to mind that might fit the cheap and cheerful category, with newer Hypex tech, is the NAD 3020D (street price, not MSRP).

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2019, 02:28 pm »

The only thing that comes to mind that might fit the cheap and cheerful category, with newer Hypex tech, is the NAD 3020D (street price, not MSRP).

The 3020D includes a DAC at that price, so C&C.  But it may not be powerful enough for the OP. That would be a great choice though.

Mojo Warrior

• Reality Star
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2019, 05:29 pm »
I would like to add the Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp. Feature set on par with PS Audio Sprout and Peachtree amps. $150 (MSRP $499), so far less expensive than its rivals. I haven't A/B blindfold compared the SQ to the above amps but upon initial listening, it is not far off. It may not have the heft with some low efficiency speakers.

Definitely C&C.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/powergate

cujobob

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2019, 09:58 am »
I'm not sure Yamaha is the way to go for receivers. They're good, for sure. But I wouldn't say they're "the way to go" across the board. Not at all. I've owned a Yamaha Aventage for several years, so I'm not saying this because I don't like them. I do. I just wouldn't discount Marantz, Denon, or Pioneer in one's search.

A/B is well ahead of Class D in measured performance? Please elaborate. This sounds a bit out of date.

Hypex NCORE and ICE have proven to be viable technologies without need for cautionary statements added. Old ICE amp modules are not as good as newer models made within the last 5 years or so, though. The latest are obviously the best. Again, I think your info on the matter seems rather out of date. However, it might not matter in this case as I'm not sure one can find a sub $350 amp with newer Hypex or ICE technology. The only thing that comes to mind that might fit the cheap and cheerful category, with newer Hypex tech, is the NAD 3020D (street price, not MSRP).

Yamaha is one of the only reliable receiver manufacturers out there currently. Onkyo has taken a step back and I believe they bought out pioneer in this market. Denon makes a nice product, but IMO not as nice in most cases (sales prices are obviously major factor).

Class D stuff has been measured extensively and only the newest Icepower and Hypex Ncore modules have not shown to have pretty serious flaws. The Cherry amps and some other high end models may be good, too, but affordability hasn’t always been on their side. To build out Ncore amps, you’re still looking at putting out $500+ to DIY and Icepower is a bit less (with a bit weaker performance). Price per watt for this level of performance is overall quite good, but these products aren’t inexpensive or as readily available as other products are most would consider Class D staples. I have high hopes for the future, but we aren’t there yet. I’ll most likely get a set of Ncores at some point or whatever comes after them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2019, 11:51 am »
What is meant by "High value" is subjective.  For an amp is it sound quality?  Watts per dollar?  Features?  Longevity?

IMO it should relate back to what your personal values reflect.  For me, the secret is to look behind the scenes.  What kind of support can you expect?  How much has gone into product development?  What is the company like (domestic, long steady history, stable)?  Unfortunately that approach doesn't fit well into C&C.

Obscure internet based foreign companies selling flashy or chintzy stuff at ridiculous prices no longer cut it with me.  So my system is based on Apple, JBL Pro, and PS Audio gear.  All solid companies known for customer service, heavily invested in their own R&D and manufacturing, and have stable histories.  The Audio Circle sponsors that comes to my mind is Audio by Van Alstine and Bryston.

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2019, 02:26 pm »
High value is subjective yes, I think in this thread C$C you want to target amps below $300. So, recently I changed up my VOG ceiling speakers. I went from having 1 active speaker to two passive speakers. I wanted a speaker above each of my two MLP's. Now I needed an amp to drive two speakers that would be loud enough to be level matched with the other 13 speakers in the room. I came up with the Nobsound Mini Dual amp, about 35 watts a channel for $49. The amp can fit about anywhere, very small. It was perfect for it's assigned task. So for me, this was a high value and would do a good job driving surrounds. I didn't test it in my desktop system but who knows?:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07548PWQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

meathead18

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2019, 03:01 pm »
I just received the Nuforce STA200. They are still selling for $499 maybe a little high for C&C but IMHO it's a great value. I am using the pre-outs on my HK3490. I know the STA200 isn't rated for as much power as the HK3490 but it has plenty of power. Also at higher volume the STA200 doesn't sound congested or strained the way the HK3490 did. I am really really liking the STA200. The soundstage is excellent and I am hearing details in my music that I did not hear in the past.

My speakers are JBL Studio 580's and my finished basement is my listening area. Pergo floor with an area rug. The room is 18' wide and 22' long with an 8' ceiling. I also have 2 SVS SB1000's hooked into the sub-outs on the HK3490.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:14 pm »
I know the STA200 isn't rated for as much power as the HK3490 but it has plenty of power. Also at higher volume the STA200 doesn't sound congested or strained the way the HK3490 did.

That right there is what high value is.  Ostensibly a lower power amp that can be played at higher volumes because it stays clean throughout its range.  That's where the quality is.  More watts on paper are useless if you can't use them.

witchdoctor

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:16 pm »
I just received the Nuforce STA200. They are still selling for $499 maybe a little high for C&C but IMHO it's a great value. I am using the pre-outs on my HK3490. I know the STA200 isn't rated for as much power as the HK3490 but it has plenty of power. Also at higher volume the STA200 doesn't sound congested or strained the way the HK3490 did. I am really really liking the STA200. The soundstage is excellent and I am hearing details in my music that I did not hear in the past.

My speakers are JBL Studio 580's and my finished basement is my listening area. Pergo floor with an area rug. The room is 18' wide and 22' long with an 8' ceiling. I also have 2 SVS SB1000's hooked into the sub-outs on the HK3490.

Congratulations! I was thinking of that amp when I posted about Nuprime. Sounds like a great match with the JBL's. Got a pic?

meathead18

« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2019, 07:19 pm »

Thanks everyone for your replies! Over the years I have learned a lot browsing this forum. I've used advice from JLM, Witchdoctor and zieglj01. Great folks here on this forum.

Attached are a couple pics of my  current set up. I purchased an Emotiva PT-100 preamp and I really like it. It seems very transparent and the DAC sounds great. I really like the tone controls too. Also, I purchased an Emotiva A-300 amp to compare to the Nuforce STA200. I must say I really prefer the Nuforce. The mid range in the STA200 is much clearer, and even the highs seem clearer yet warmer sounding. Not sure how to explain it. And while on paper the Emotiva A300 is more poweful, the STA200 has more and tighter bass (I'm still young, in my 30's so I'm kind of a bass head).

I think this set up with the STA-200, Klipsch Gate Streamer, Emotiva PT-100 preamp, JBL Studio 580s and SVS SB1000 subs will keep me happy for a long long time. Even without acoustic treatments I'm still getting excellent imaging and soundstage.