Diffusion. . .

Hantra

Diffusion. . .
« on: 4 Mar 2003, 11:43 pm »
Gentlemen:

I have been told by a certain speaker manufacturer who is well respected among the single driver, high-efficiency crowd, that my room needs diffusion.  He says that on at least two of my walls, I need diffusion to prevent the sonic chaos which evidently ensues when using a very high efficiency design, and horn-loading it.

What do you think about this?  Do your products provide diffusion?  This person has posted a neat recipe for DIY diffusers using plywood.  I may need to try those, but I have no clue where to place them. . .

Any ideas?

B

8thnerve

Re: Diffusion. . .
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2003, 07:46 pm »
Hantra,

Our products, because they provide reflection and the reflective surface on most of the Response products is rarely perfectly flat, do by defenition provide some amount of diffusion, but this is not a design criteria for us.  We believe that we achieve more dramatic sonic benefits from dealing with sound pressure distortion.  I would not characterize diffusion as a solution to alleviate sonic chaos since diffusion only reflects sound back in different directions than their angle of incidence.  Our products will address the situation that he describes though, and should take care of any room problems that you may have, no matter what the speaker design.

Hantra

Diffusion. . .
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2003, 09:32 pm »
Here is a quote from the designer about what he suspects may happen in my room.  

"Looking at the dims of the room I think that at least 2 of the adjacent walls would need diffusors and damping with most any speaker.  Bass traps as a minimum.  The problem area might be vocals.  I worry about the "slap" between walls in the upper mids etc..  May not be a problem but if it shows up in vocals it's due to the standing waves excited by the paralell walls.  This can obscure clarity in worse case scenario's."

So what do you think?  Can you diagnose me?

Thx!

B

WilliamL

Diffusion. . .
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2003, 06:22 pm »
Hantra,

Don't think I agree with the assessment that you have posted from the designer.

As we don't want to create friction between that designer ( whose excellent speakers we have considered selling at the audio store we run on the side-- www.audiorevolutions.com), I would ask that you call us or email us privately on this one.

Cheers and Thanks,
Bill

Hantra

Diffusion. . .
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2003, 07:09 pm »
B:

Different designer all together.  The ones you're talking about, I have written off.  In my room, they are not at all magical.  They are quite offensive. . ;-)

I'll call you anyway and get your ideas. . .

Thanks!

B

WilliamL

Hmmmm......
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2003, 10:22 pm »
Hantra....
I am not sure we are talking about the same single driver, high-efficiency speakers. Anyways, looking forward to speaking to you.

Cheers,
Bill