Ottavo

navin

Re: Ottavo
« Reply #60 on: 16 Aug 2013, 09:52 am »
Rick an acquaintance has recently purchased a nice big three way.
(it sounds & looks nice...not an AC member or Mfg. associated with AC.)

and he states that the XO design resistively shunts amplifier current around the driver.

"This gives the amplifier a less reactive, lower impedance load. It also
gives the crossover network a less reactive, lower impedance load.
Finally it provides the driver with a less reactive, lower impedance
source."...indeed his hovers around 3.0-5.5 ohms.

The Ottavo likewise has some low impedance swings.

Is this a reasonable approach?

Theories come and go.

A famous manufacturer (also famous for calling the simple three chamber 4th order band-pass a "Conjugate Load Matching, Coupled-Cavity bass loading system" theorised about resistive crossovers in the late 70s. A decade later a "Tiny Tot" with almost no bass and an impedance that fell to much below 2ohms was proclaimed as the next best thing since sliced bread.

What I like about Rick's approach is that it is practical. Take a speaker. Hook it up to a decent 2 ch. amp (I use a Peridot-Excel with a Yamaha S2000 for example) and listen. If it sounds good you can disregard theory and measurements are only a source for solace (that you have done nothing really crazy).

Lets put if this way, ever since we got out HT up my wife prefers our home HT than going to a local movie theatre. She once came back from a movie and immediately noticed that her home system sounded better.

AvFan

« Reply #61 on: 25 Aug 2013, 05:49 pm »
Is there any reason to consider using a subwoofer with the Ottavo in a stereo setup?  The graphs on the Selah site are a bit confusing as to what the typical minus 3db and 10db measurements are.  Maybe mid-30s for -3 and 30 for -10?  Just to be clear I don't listen to pipe organ music so don't need that depth of bass. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #62 on: 25 Aug 2013, 09:13 pm »
Is there any reason to consider using a subwoofer with the Ottavo in a stereo setup?  The graphs on the Selah site are a bit confusing as to what the typical minus 3db and 10db measurements are.  Maybe mid-30s for -3 and 30 for -10?  Just to be clear I don't listen to pipe organ music so don't need that depth of bass.

I spec it at -3db/35hz and -10db/30hz which is more conservative than many companies would do (plus no room gain is added in the numbers). One of the performance goals was to have a system that didn't need a subwoofer. Once you hear it I think you'll agree.

AvFan

« Reply #63 on: 25 Aug 2013, 09:24 pm »
Rick:  Thanks for the clarification.  Decisions, decisions.....I'll send you an email with a couple of more detailed questions.

navin

« Reply #64 on: 26 Aug 2013, 05:56 am »

I use a Peridot-Excel (which is basically a Peridot with SEAS excel woofers and a Neo 3.0 tweeter) in a room that is 12' wide, and 30' long (9 ft ceiling) and find that for 2 channel the subwoofer is a distraction. For Movies though the subwoofer makes for nice sound effects.

The Ottavo's bass ability should exceed the Peridot and/or the Peridot Excel so a subwoofer may be even less essential.

AvFan

« Reply #65 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:33 pm »
Thanks for your insights on how your Peridots work in your system.  My Selah MTM monitors are paired with stereo subs in a dedicated music system in my living room.  I don't think the subs integrate very well and I'd like to reduce the clutter from four speakers to two hence my interest in the Ottavo.  FYI I use a sub in my family room home theater rig.  Based upon Rick's earlier post I'm comfortable the Ottavo's bass response will be fine.

cronsell

« Reply #66 on: 24 Sep 2013, 08:51 pm »
I've placed an order for a pair of these...can't wait to hear them in my system.  They should be a big step up from my Von Schweikert VR-4s!   :thumb:

cronsell

« Reply #67 on: 25 Sep 2013, 05:35 pm »
I'm excited guys!  Here are the first pics of the cabinets before the bases are attached and the drivers/crossovers installed.  What do you think?!?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 25 Sep 2013, 06:07 pm »
Those cabinets look sweet already  :thumb:

vanderstephen

« Reply #69 on: 25 Sep 2013, 06:11 pm »
Agreed- those cabinets look great. I absolutely love my Ottavo's. Keep us posted. :thumb:

cronsell

« Reply #70 on: 25 Sep 2013, 06:18 pm »
Thanks guys!  I owned a pair of Tanzanites years ago before I bought the VR-4s and loved them, and the Sardonyx I used in my HT setup this year was outstanding.  I can only imagine how great these will sound!  I'm considering a Cary SLP-05 to pair with an EAD amp I have, or a very, very nice integrated from Serbia.  I'll keep you guys posted as things move along!

spothopster

« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:33 am »
Many exciting designs coming from small speaker companies. Good customer service too.  Glad to see some of them doing quite well.

cronsell

« Reply #72 on: 5 Oct 2013, 12:07 am »
Well after auditioning the Serbian integrated, it's a definite keeper.  I'll be driving these beautiful Ottavos with a Beyond Frontiers Audio Tulip integrated...an amazing piece of gear which should do this speaker design justice!  Now I just have to wait...who here likes the wait?!?  If any of you go to RMAF, let me know how my speakers are breaking in!!!  :lol:

bill13

« Reply #73 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:53 pm »
Just wondering, are the RAAL ribbon tweeters also available with the optional amorphous core transformer?  If the RAAL 70-20XR is an optional substitute for the 70-10D ribbon in this new Selah Audio speaker, is it available with the amorphous core -- or in your opinion is the standard RAAL transformer just as good, & therefore, more 'cost effective'? 

Would the bigger 70-20XR interface better with the 5" Accuton midrange in the low trebles, say, around 2 to 3 kHz area?

Bill

PMAT

« Reply #74 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm »
I absolutely love non-book matched veneer. So much more custom looking. Fantastic look.

Carl V

« Reply #75 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:53 pm »
I absolutely love non-book matched veneer. So much more custom looking. Fantastic look.

Some times yes, sometimes no. His enclosures look good.
Mine are unfortunately bookmatched & made with two very different fliches & at different times

Sound good.  Look OK.

PMAT

« Reply #76 on: 11 Oct 2013, 12:46 am »
Well alrighty then Carl. How about some orange racing stripes?

Carl V

« Reply #77 on: 11 Oct 2013, 12:56 am »
Well alrighty then Carl. How about some orange racing stripes?

and where do you suggest I place these Orange racing strips

and mine are not new Ottavos...rather they an older design, with some modification

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #78 on: 11 Oct 2013, 04:16 am »
Just wondering, are the RAAL ribbon tweeters also available with the optional amorphous core transformer?  If the RAAL 70-20XR is an optional substitute for the 70-10D ribbon in this new Selah Audio speaker, is it available with the amorphous core -- or in your opinion is the standard RAAL transformer just as good, & therefore, more 'cost effective'? 

Would the bigger 70-20XR interface better with the 5" Accuton midrange in the low trebles, say, around 2 to 3 kHz area?

Bill

Yes we can substitute the AM core for a small additional charge. I have heard the AM core version and I think if it were a blind test you would find it difficult to tell the difference between the two. The 70-20XR could be used but sacrifices the wider horizontal dispersion and it isn't as uniform vertically in dispersion. The integration in the 2-3K area IMO is exceptionally good - but rather than take my opinion you can ask those that attend the show.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #79 on: 11 Oct 2013, 02:10 pm »

Thanks for noticing. It costs more to build this way but the results are worth it.