Recommend a $25K Dedicated Two-Channel System

CrazyBlue

Recommend a $25K Dedicated Two-Channel System
« on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:19 am »
Say, $15K for speakers, the balance for DAC, Preamp, and amp(s).

Solid state, of course.  Include what you love about your recommendations.  New, used, doesn't matter, as long as it fits the budget. 

Music varies; blues, select jazz, some classical, indie rock, alt country.

Not looking for overly warm or overly analytical, and that's all the audiophile speak I'm going to utter in this post. 

Have at it!  And have fun.

toocool4

Re: Recommend a $25K Dedicated Two-Channel System
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:46 am »
If you have this kind of money to spend, you should really go and listen to loads of gear.

It’s a lot of money to spend and get it wrong because someone else says they like it.

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2013, 10:04 am »
What I have in my bedroom looks to fit the budget

15k Von Schweikert Unifield 3 - very resolving, plays bigger than they look, at home in both small and larger rooms
5k/pr Valvet A3.5R Monoblocks (Solid State, Class A, ZNFB) - Very organic, tons of reserve capacitance, does refined great but can rock too
2.5k Valvet L2 Preamp (Tube - 1pr 6SN7) - Fairly neutral pre-amp, tailor fitting to individual tastes is easy since they use only one pair of tubes

Hmmm. lots of great DACs can be had for 2.5k. I'm thinking Mytek.

decal

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:06 pm »
If you have this kind of money to spend, you should really go and listen to loads of gear.

It’s a lot of money to spend and get it wrong because someone else says they like it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2013, 03:33 pm »
I would strongly agree with toocool4 and decal. For that price point, listening to alot of gear is a must. Any dealer would gladly set up a system of components that compliment each other for 25k. And all should let you audition it at home, before you commit to a purchase.

For SS , I like Parasound Halo mono blocks and JC preamp. I also think Musical Fidelity makes great stuff. Mcintosh and AR as well. Speakers are your flavor, that's like ice cream. And also digital or analog source, you can spend mucho denero , either route.

Good luck, happy listening....

CrazyBlue

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:07 pm »
Sure, it's just that there's way to much gear to audition everything, so I thought I could get  a starting point, some stuff to put on the audition list, by hearing what folks love about their own gear or stuff they've heard.  Speakers will require the most listening, of course.  And I have a few on my list to audition already. 

Just thought it would be fun to see what people recommend, and why.  Mostly why, in fact.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:12 pm »
First step would be to break it down into components, and budget amount for each.  Do you want a turntable setup or not?  What sources do you want?  Many people these days are doing 100% computer audio, if you wanted to go that route it would leave more money for things like speakers and amp.  I'd also say consider your room and what treatments it needs. 

$25K is enough you can get a pretty killer setup if you shop smart ... not enough to be crazy and make it rain. 

What are your personal preferences?  What speakers have you heard that you really liked?  How would you define the type of sound you're after?

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:26 pm »
Serenity Acoustics Super 7 10,000 open price
Mac Mini Loaded 1000
New Hi Rez dB Audio Labs Dac (Guess 2K)
Cables 1k
Oppo 105 Modded 1500
Two Sealed subs for corners 2000
Dodd Preamp 2000
Oyen Hard Drive FW 350
FirstWatt F5  2000

22K  Im good....

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:40 pm »
Sure, it's just that there's way to much gear to audition everything, so I thought I could get  a starting point, some stuff to put on the audition list, by hearing what folks love about their own gear or stuff they've heard.  Speakers will require the most listening, of course.  And I have a few on my list to audition already. 

Just thought it would be fun to see what people recommend, and why.  Mostly why, in fact.

Without getting too far into this, let me offer up an amp that I listened to and liked very much at my dealers house, the Musical Fidelity M6 500i. It is an exceptional integrated amp that is dual-mono design and will drive most speakers without strain. It has power and finess and at it's price you would have a considerable amount of money left over in your budget to get great speakers and a source. You would have your pre amp and amp at the $6,500.00 mark. I heard this amp driving some Vandersteen speakers and the sound was glorious.

Also, (my two cents) I would only go with manufacturers that stand behind their product. Many AC members here can offer advice and PMs about the experience they have had, good or bad. To me, that is a smart way to buy and can save you heartache, time and money. Some companies promise the world, but do not deliver. Many are very deceptive. Many are great! They all would love to get part of your 25K.

AB

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:00 pm »
What's your room like,  big or small, square or long and narrow?
Everything hinges on your room.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:03 pm »

With that kind of budget, I would take a good look at Pass Labs gear. If you don't have a dealer locally, Mark from Reno Hi-Fi is superb to work with. And he has an excellent return policy so you could try them at home.

Also, +1 to AB's point:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:04 pm »
Serenity Acoustics Super 7 10,000 open price
Mac Mini Loaded 1000
New Hi Rez dB Audio Labs Dac (Guess 2K)
Cables 1k
Oppo 105 Modded 1500
Two Sealed subs for corners 2000
Dodd Preamp 2000
Oyen Hard Drive FW 350
FirstWatt F5  2000

22K  Im good....

I like that system alot but might go with PassLabs XA-60.5 mono amps.   I think that might bring the total to $25 after pairing back the spend a little on the sealed subs.   

CrazyBlue

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:03 pm »
First step would be to break it down into components, and budget amount for each.  Do you want a turntable setup or not?  What sources do you want?  Many people these days are doing 100% computer audio, if you wanted to go that route it would leave more money for things like speakers and amp.  I'd also say consider your room and what treatments it needs. 

$25K is enough you can get a pretty killer setup if you shop smart ... not enough to be crazy and make it rain. 

What are your personal preferences?  What speakers have you heard that you really liked?  How would you define the type of sound you're after?

DAC (preferably with excellent USB implementation)
Pre
Amp(s)
Speakers (and subs if necessary)

Budget covers the above only. Front end is Macbook pro, ART Legato for 16/44.1 material.  No TT.  Maybe an Oppo player later.

Haven't heard many high-end speakers yet.  Love the Maggie sound, but have only heard the MMG and Mg-12 to date.  Running LSA-1 signature monitors and a Salk Songsub in my living room.  Great sound for the money, and will stay in that system.  Didn't like the Linn, Sonus Faber, or Paradigm stuff I heard, though admittedly, it was all low t mid in their lines.  PSB has possibilities.  Looking for smooth and refined and transparent/neutral that can still rock.  Gear, I'm in the same boat.  Running Emotiva stuff in the living room. It's okay, and great for the money.  My current DAC is a Van Alstine Ultra, fed by the Legato, and it's very nice.  His FET-Valve stuff is on my list, but will have to be very impressive, as I'd rather go SS with this setup.  I'm talking about something I'll be happy with for the next 20 years, so am aiming high, obviously.  Have heard Anthem and NAD gear, and Parasound extensively, but the same applies; low in their lines, except for the NAD stuff, of which I've heard both upper and lower end.  I could live with any of them, especially if it only gets better going up the line. 

Got a lot of listening to do over the next year, and like I said, some kind of starting reference point for what to audition would be helpful. 

Speakers on my to-hear list include Salk and Dynaudio, and the Magnepan 3.7 (20s are maybe just too big), though I have reservations about their longevity, the word "delamination" occurring too often in internet searches for my taste.     

CrazyBlue

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:11 pm »

Don't exactly know yet, as it'll be in a different house.  But I'll be looking with an eye toward a suitable dedicated room.  So figure large bedroom-sized (say, 14'X18'), rectangular, and sealed.  Will be well-treated with absorbers and diffraction and bass traps.  Carpet or big area rug, heavy drapes over windows.  Total placement freedom, furnished with bookshelves, a desk behind the listening position, and a comfy sofa in the prime spot where I can sit for critical listening, and work on a laptop on a lap-desk for general low-volume background music.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:56 pm »
I don't have any specific recommendations but the delmaination problem with the Manepans is a thing of the past.
UV and humidity was breaking down the earlier brands of adhesives.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:10 pm »
If I had your budget, I would start with used Vandersteen 5A's and go from there. Go out of your way to demo a pair.

Have fun,

Jerry

AB

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:16 pm »
Don't exactly know yet, as it'll be in a different house.  But I'll be looking with an eye toward a suitable dedicated room.  So figure large bedroom-sized (say, 14'X18'), rectangular, and sealed.  Will be well-treated with absorbers and diffraction and bass traps.  Carpet or big area rug, heavy drapes over windows.  Total placement freedom, furnished with bookshelves, a desk behind the listening position, and a comfy sofa in the prime spot where I can sit for critical listening, and work on a laptop on a lap-desk for general low-volume background music.

No room yet? So you'll be house hunting with an eye towards a 14x18 room?
I hope you live someplace with a greater selection of houses than I did.  :duh:

My wife and I house searched for exactly that and FAILED. Then we switched to looking for a place where we could build an "audio addition". Again, FAILED.
But enough about bitter old me...

Find that room built on a slab and you'll be a long way towards getting great sound. Add $25k in speakers and you'll be golden.
Wait, $25k for everything, not just speakers?

Ha. Just kidding! :thumb:

AB

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:18 pm »
I don't have any specific recommendations but the delmaination problem with the Manepans is a thing of the past.
UV and humidity was breaking down the earlier brands of adhesives.

I was going to say the same thing.
Don't discount maggies. They are amazing.

toocool4

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:30 pm »
DAC (preferably with excellent USB implementation)
Pre
Amp(s)
Speakers (and subs if necessary)

Budget covers the above only. Front end is Macbook pro, ART Legato for 16/44.1 material.  No TT.  Maybe an Oppo player later.

Haven't heard many high-end speakers yet.  Love the Maggie sound, but have only heard the MMG and Mg-12 to date.  Running LSA-1 signature monitors and a Salk Songsub in my living room.  Great sound for the money, and will stay in that system.  Didn't like the Linn, Sonus Faber, or Paradigm stuff I heard, though admittedly, it was all low t mid in their lines.  PSB has possibilities.  Looking for smooth and refined and transparent/neutral that can still rock.  Gear, I'm in the same boat.  Running Emotiva stuff in the living room. It's okay, and great for the money.  My current DAC is a Van Alstine Ultra, fed by the Legato, and it's very nice.  His FET-Valve stuff is on my list, but will have to be very impressive, as I'd rather go SS with this setup.  I'm talking about something I'll be happy with for the next 20 years, so am aiming high, obviously.  Have heard Anthem and NAD gear, and Parasound extensively, but the same applies; low in their lines, except for the NAD stuff, of which I've heard both upper and lower end.  I could live with any of them, especially if it only gets better going up the line. 

Got a lot of listening to do over the next year, and like I said, some kind of starting reference point for what to audition would be helpful. 

Speakers on my to-hear list include Salk and Dynaudio, and the Magnepan 3.7 (20s are maybe just too big), though I have reservations about their longevity, the word "delamination" occurring too often in internet searches for my taste.     

From what you say you are looking for i would like to say go Spectral Audio, but your budget would not even get you into the entry level new stuff.

Look for second-hand Spectral gear I tell you one thing, once you hear what they can do you will not want anything else. If you can, try and listen to Spectral Pre & Power.

The only other problem here is, a Spectral setup will show up your MacBook Pro for its shortcomings.

geowak

« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:34 pm »
If I had your budget, I would start with used Vandersteen 5A's and go from there. Go out of your way to demo a pair.

Have fun,

Jerry

Yep, I was going to suggest the 5a's but you beat me to it. Very, very sweet sounding spreaker.