which amp for PSB Synchrony One?

stereocilia

which amp for PSB Synchrony One?
« on: 25 Dec 2012, 08:34 pm »
I'm happy to hear what you think:

space:  half of a 17 x 20 room with 7'6" ceiling
source:  Benchmark DAC1 USB.
preamp:  Jeff Rowland Consonance -- sometimes the DAC1 drives the amp directly.
amp:  Rotel RB-1582 
music:  indie, electronica, jangly guitar folk, metal from time to time, basically a wide variety of recording qualities played at moderate to moderately-loud (but no louder) volumes.

goals:  improved midrange transparency, immediacy, and tighter bass.  I like to hear the individual vibrations of strings and the reedy buzz of horns.  I want a big soundstage, and I do not want any added sibilance.  Cymbals need to sound like real metal objects being struck.  Excess sibilance is a deal breaker.  I'm willing to give up bass extension.

Locally available contenders:
McIntosh MC302
Ayre V5xe
Bryston 4B SST2

Thanks!

stereocilia

Re: which amp for PSB Synchrony One?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2012, 07:43 pm »
Tried all three at the dealer.  So far the Bryston is my favorite by a modest margin.   I brought the demo home and
It  is sounding fantastic.   I will probably bring the Ayre home for a demo in case my ears overlooked something.

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2012, 08:17 pm »
The PSB Ones are great speakers.

stereocilia

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2012, 10:22 pm »
I'm about to unleash a cliche.  It passes the wife test.  She says it sounds more real with less static in the background.   Straining to hear the difference was not required, but straining to understand why it's worth the difference is.

stereocilia

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2012, 02:22 am »
So for my system, the Bryston wins.  For the record she was the one straining to understand the price difference, not me; that wasn't clear in my last post.  She gets it though.  She likes the look of the silver faceplate better than the black.  I'm ordering the black one anyway.   :wink:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:54 pm »
Heading all Canadian, eh?  I look forward to hearing your new setup when I can get ooot of the hooose!  Will you have some Moosehead in the fridge for me?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2012, 04:53 pm »
Bet yer excited.  I am for you. 

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2012, 04:55 pm »
Will you have some Moosehead in the fridge for me?

I hope not!

hdspeakerman

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2012, 05:06 pm »
What did you think of the McIntosh?  Howard

frankg

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »
I use a Bryston B-60 SST with my PSB T2 (and a Benchmark Dac1). I highly recommend the combination of Bryston and PSB.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2012, 10:56 pm »
I hope not!

You must be a Molson Ice fan!     :lol:

stereocilia

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:05 am »
The McIntosh sounded a little darker, and it didn't seem to be a synergistic pairing.  The 2 ohm tap worked best, but the other amps sounded better to my ears.  Maybe with thiel or b&w it would be great,  I don't know.

I'm stoked that Natural Sound is letting me hang on to the demo until the new one arrives.

I will crack open the Molson, The Tragically Hip, Cowboy Junkies, Diana Krall, Neil Young, and maybe even some treble charger.   Everyone is invited.  It will be like a possum lodge meeting on the Red Green show.