Newbie from Holland - Audio Americano Addict

MLAS

Newbie from Holland - Audio Americano Addict
« on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:44 pm »
Let´s first introduce myself briefly.
I´m interested in the better audio since 1982 and started with a Yamaha setup.
During my studentyears I became aware of even better gear mainly from the US.
Expensive but made with the ambition to produce the best attainable sound for the money.
In the decades to follow I´ve had highend products from Levinson, Krell, Threshold and Rowland.
I still operate a mix from Acoustat fullrange electrostatics (20 years old bought new) Levinson ML-2´s and No. 39, Rowland preamp and Denon DP 80 turntable and a black Yamaha CT-7000 FM Tuner.
I do some refurbish work on the products like substituting old lytics, replacing a broken transistor etc..
Nothing special just with a MM and Variac and the right tools.
I especially like amps as the Threshold SA/1, Jeef Rowland Model 7 anmd of course the ML-2.
I even started a special interest website (in English) with a friend reviewing classic audio-gear mainly from the States.
I´m probably not allowed to give the URL here so I won´t.

One of my favorite pre-amps is the Jeff Rowland Coherence One and I just bought a Series II sample in California.
I know that one contributor JakeJ has one and he updated (the linemodules) it recently at the factory.
I´m very interested in this update and the cost of it.

Thanks for viewing my firtst post.

BruceSB

Re: Newbie from Holland - Audio Americano Addict
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm »
Hi, welcome to the AudioCircle.
I think that you will find that this is a nice place to be.
As for me, I mostly post over at the Planar Circle.
Like you I have Acoustats (spectra 22) which I purchased new (my power am is a Quad 606, which does a great job of driving my Acoustats and barely even gets warm!).
I know that this is a little off topic, but, being from Holland, I wonder if you would care to make some comments about the Audiostatic electrostats?
By the way, don't forget to have a look at all of the other circles, including the manufacturer's circles, because there is just so much good stuff, and, like I said earlier this is a really nice friendly place to be.
Regards and welcome again.
Bruce

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2012, 10:30 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, MLAS.  :beer:

Make sure you look at posts in the different AudioCircle Sponsor's circles. There's a lot of great information to be found. They are all very cool, and will answer your questions very specifically. In the non-sponsored circles you will find many more helpful folks, with diverse experiences, advice, and opinions. Jump in, and have fun!

Also, there isn't a rule against posting URLs to audio review sites. As long as they're not patently offensive, they're most welcomed!

As for electrostatics and Americana, here is a very recent post regarding Frank Van Alstine's gear driving Maggies.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2012, 09:25 am »
Welcome from the US - maybe we'll get you hooked up with an American tuner and turntable?
The US has made a lot of great stereo gear over the years and still continues to do so.
There's something for everyone here at AC so have fun.

MLAS

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm »
Thanks for you warm welcome!

At BruceSB:
Friend of mine has the Spectra 22 also. Very good speaker and giving not much away against the Spectra 4400 of another friend. We listened to them in te same room with the same electronics and we were amazed with the performance from the 22.
He drives them now with a Passlabs X-250.5 and the Spectra 4400 is drive by a pair of Levinson 20.6's.
Acoustat is really great because it's having so much musical quality for such a moderate price and the panels are virtually indestructable.
My experience is though that the relatively low price for the Acoustats is counterbalanced because of the first rate electronics they need to perform optimal.
About AudioStatic: We, our little group of Acoustat lovers, never liked the offerings from this firm. Never delivering the punch as a Acoustat can, way to expensive even in the Netherlands. Friend of mine had the ES-300 and when he heard my 2 + 2's he immediately sold his Audiostatic and bought secondhand a pair of 2 + 2's also with a JRDG model 8 to drive them.

At JerryM:
thanks for the advice and rules.
I'll check those circles out.

At SteveFord:
I have a SAE 8000 tuner and a glaspanelbroken McIntosh MR-80 thanks to Fedex and our customs.
The last item was the last (highest serialnumber) one in the MR-80 series. : :cry:
I really like my Japanese DP-80 but VPI makes nice decks too of course.

Greetings from Holland