Best integrated amps for Monitor Audio silver RS6

kinku

Best integrated amps for Monitor Audio silver RS6
« on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:36 pm »
I have an Onkyo TX 8255 system I am using with RS6. I am not unhappy with it ,but I doubt I am getting full potential out of  my speakers. Any recommendation for amp/pre map or integrated amps to use with Monitor Audio speakers?

SwedeSound

Re: Best integrated amps for Monitor Audio silver RS6
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:00 am »
Not sure what your budget is, but I have the precursor to this amp (HK 3480) which I am very happy with and which drives my Monitor Audio Studio 6s very nicely. The 3490 is even more refined.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354762718&sr=1-1&keywords=harman+kardon+hk+3490

I'd look on eBay as well where you can get some nice deals on refurbished models. Happy shopping.

Jason

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:21 am »
I love my RS6's and don't plan to ever part with them. They're soo good for the money. They are a speaker you can keep for a long long time and upgrade source and amp to your ear's content. One of the most enjoyable integrateds I used with my RS6's was a Cayin A50T. I also used a Virtue Sensation 901 with all the upgrades, to great effect. The Virtue had tighter deeper bass and perhaps more crystaline highs, but the Cayin was just magic with the RS6's especially in the midrange. I imagine that a Primaluna would offer the same qualities. What's your budget and your listening habits? I've tried a lot of gear with these speakers and often find myself looking for that Cayin again.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2012, 11:25 pm by RDavidson »

kinku

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2012, 01:11 pm »
My budget is around 1000$ and I am more into classical vocal and violin followed by classic rock.I know the taste is hard satisfy with  amount I have in my mind. I need excellent midrange for my vocals and wondering about the options I have.
Sweede sound thank you can you describe more about the sound from HK 3490.
Davidson is it the only Cayin model you recommend?

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:51 pm »
It is the only Cayin I have tried personally, and it can be found within your budget now and then. Vocals and acoustic instruments were spooky real sounding and had a very live, fleshed-out quality. Just be patient and one will come up for sale. I'm sure there are others that would be a nice match as well, such as Primaluna. Primalunas sell for a little more, a lot more if you want a remote controlled model. The Cayin doesn't have auto bias, but biasing is super easy. They even supply a multimeter and instructions on how to do this yourself. Kinda fun if you like the idea of maintaining things yourself, similar to how people enjoy changing their own oil in their vehicles. Just check the bias when you get the amp, then check it every 3 months or so. Note that Cayins, I believe, are built in the same factory as Primaluna. Both brands are overbuilt and very solid. Great value for the money, just like the RS6s. Given your taste in music, and the speakers' high sensitivity, a tube integrated is THE BEST way to go. I can't imagine you not being happy with it. You should be able to get a nice used one below $900. Probably closer to $750-$800.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:17 pm »
Another option that I have grown quite fond of is using a tube preamp with a solid state amp. You get a large dose of warmth, dimensionality, and naturalness of tubes, combined with the accuracy and set-and-forget aspect of solid state. Many many options there. Note also that Jolida might be a good place to look. They make nice tube integrateds. I listened to a 502b awhile back and was impressed with it. 502's don't show up used very often. They also make hybrid integrateds that seem to get good reviews as well and are reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2012, 08:30 pm by RDavidson »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:16 pm »
   Marantz has a wonderful synergy with Monitor spea Yes Marantz.  We also like the Melody line with Monitor. No we are not dealers of those brands but feel they are a VG match. Have fun trying.

charles

GerryD

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2012, 10:26 pm »
A used Unison Research Unico can sometimes be found in your price range and would be a strong candidate to provide the sound you seek.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:13 am »
There seems to be a strong trend recommending gear that leans to the warmer side of the amplifier spectrum, which I cannot agree with more. Both Marantz and HK lean slightly warm, in my experience. I once used a Creek 5350SE with the RS6's, which was not a good match especially considering I have all digital front end gear. Maybe vinyl would've told a different story. The Creek had amazing detail and dynamics, but it was lifeless and analytical. Midrange seemed slightly recessed too.

Johlke

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:54 am »
I'd go with a good used NAD.

kinku

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2012, 11:02 am »
David.Do you have recommendations for some tube Integrateds?'Also some some tube pre amps ?
Gerry never heard of Unison ,and has only one distributor.
Rollo which series Marantz you are referring to?

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2012, 02:15 pm »
I already posted my recommendations for a few tube integrateds that can be found at reasonable prices. As far as tube preamps go I have personal experience / currently own an Eastern Electric Minimax, Audio Electronic Supply (AES) AE3, and AES AE3 DJH. None of these show up for sale on the used market often, particularly the AES gear. The EE and standard AE3 have the most "tubey" characteristics overall. The EE has probably the most tube rolling choices / sound changing options. The AE3 DJH is another animal. It still retains the sound characteristics of tubes, but is very transparent and very extended. It is an excellent preamp, but I would recommend either of the other 2 first as you may find they offer a sound you can really enjoy, for less money. They all punch far above their price class. Note also there's a super nice Quicksilver preamp for sale here on AC for a steal of a price. I don't have experience with Quicksilver, but the brand and designer are well respected. I've never read a bad thing about Quicksilver. That preamp, along with most any well made solid state amp, would likely be an awesome match and within your budget. Don't get carried away with power, the RS6s can sing with just a few quality watts. Think quality not quantity. There are many good choices out there.

kinku

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2012, 05:53 am »
Thank you Davidson. I am hoping if you could suggest some solid states AMP to work with those pre Amps?
I am not a believer of power above 60 watts. What will you recommend Solid state + tube pre amp or tube integrated?
What is your opinion about Primaluna prologue/dialogue series?

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2012, 08:46 pm »
Kinku, I think I've given you plenty of info for you to start doing your own research, even telling you specific models to look at. I'm not going to tell you what to buy. I suggest doing some work on your own via Google searching and reading. Formulate your top 5 options in your budget. Keep in mind that used equipment can often be had for 40%-50% less than MSRP in excellent used condition. Post your options here and you'll get some more "focused" thoughts / opinions. Otherwise you're just going to keep getting one and done posts from people telling you to get this or that with no context or background. Good luck.

kinku

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2012, 09:58 pm »
Thanks Davidson. I am thinking more towards tube integrated and will start researching.For some reason Primaluna's coming up in all reviews.
Are the same or better than Cayins . Is all Cayins and Primalunas are good with MA RS6? Or are there few prodigal sons in between them too?

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2012, 10:46 pm »
Primaluna seems more popular. Not sure why, really. They used to get reviewed A LOT. I don't think you can go wrong either way. But due to popularity, Primalunas usually sell higher on the used market and don't show up as often. As Primaluna recently revamped their line, you can probably get either a Prologue or Dialogue series at a decent price. If I were in your shoes, I would go with a Cayin A50T as my first choice because it has remote volume and input switching and gives up nothing to Primaluna (in the same price class) in terms of build or sound. If remote isn't necessary, the Prologue One is a nice choice. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Either amp will get you well on your way to sonic bliss. The more you spend the more options you get, however the return on investment in terms of sound quality will only increase incrementally. Just find one in great shape and in your budget. The key here is balance. The RS6s are very fast and clean but can sound thin and metallic in the wrong setup. I don't think you'll find a solid state integrated amp below $1000 that will provide the balance, tone, naturalness, soundstage, etc. of either of the tube integrateds mentioned. To get these qualities from solid state gear, you have to spend FAR more. The fact you don't need a lot of power for the RS6s to sing, is a blessing. They practically beg for low/medium power tube amps to balance them out.

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm »
On Audiogon there's an excellent Cayin TA-30 for sale in mint condition. Asking price is on the high side for this amp, but it comes with an upgraded power cord. This may be the nicest and least expensive option you'll come across in awhile. I'd offer $600 and see if he's willing to work with you from there. These typically sell closer to $550-$600. I'm taking the power cord and condition into account.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm »
The Unison Research Unico suggestion is a good one. Tube front end along with MOSFET output stage makes a nice combination. I purchased a used Unico about a year ago and stopped looking for better.
Have never heard the Monitor Audio speakers though, so take my opinion FWIW.

Sam-fi

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm »
I have heard the Creek Audio Destiny is a good match with those Monitor Audios. Having owned the Creek for a while, I can say it's a great amp for the price. I heard it mentioned somewhere (on another forum) that it has good synergy with the monitor audio speakers.

I used mine with some Harbeth P3ESR speakers and that was a fine match as well. It's a highly transparent and detailed amp not really adding anything to the sound and pretty smooth and musical sounding. Good bass impact and reach. I would highly recommend it actually.  :D

Thanks,
Sam

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:30 pm »
I haven't heard the Unison Unico myself, but based on what I've read, I would imagine it to work nicely with the RS6s. The RS6s benefit from the warmth of tubes. Mosfets also tend to sound warm.

I like Creek gear a lot, especially if you're looking for a very accurate and transparent sound. With the RS6s, this can be a VERY tough balance, as they are fast and accurate as well. Their top end can be a little much if you don't tame it a bit. Tubes tend to do this nicely. If your front end gear doesn't spin vinyl nor is it top notch digital, you can end up with a analytical, sterile, setup, that isn't enjoyable to listen to.....especially given your taste in music. That was my experience with a Creek Classic 5350SE. The Destiny, I'm certain, is better, but I doubt it would differ from the house sound of the 5350SE on a whole. With the Creek I could never get the midrange to sound natural or as fleshed out or "real," as it should be with the RS6s. I could hear tiny details like never before, but the setup didn't make me want to sit, listen, and enjoy.

SYNERGY is paramount with any home audio set up, if you don't live a recording studio.