before i make another mistake ???? PLEASE ASSIST

2bigears

:D  If you guys had 2 or 3K tops to spend on a new or used integrated amp to drive a set of Super-V's , (SS PLEASE)  just wondering if some integrated comes to mind right off ????  thks ..... :D :D

borism

Re: before i make another mistake ???? PLEASE ASSIST
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm »
There are a Dayens Ampino (25 w/ch) and Ecstasy (70 w/ch) on sale in AudioCircle at present. I think they are listed for $ 475 and 650, respectively.
Good luck!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2012, 10:34 pm »
Actually with as efficient as those speakers are and the lack of need for any bass frequency reproduction, they beg for either a fleawatt tube amp or something much cheaper like a old NAD 3020B for $100.  But if you simply must spend $3k on an integrated, I suppose the list below would do, in order of recommendation.

Creek Destiny 2
Arcam - A38
Krell S-300i
NAD - M3
NAD - C 390DD if you need a new DAC as well
Linn Majik DS-I a bit over the price limit
Simaudio Moon i3.3
Roksan Kandy K2

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2012, 10:41 pm »
A friend of mine has a Dayens Ampino for sale. He has switched to the TBI Millenia.

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2012, 10:53 pm »
In my experience, an LFD integrated would be one of my top recommendations. It is by far the most transparent and neutral Solid State integrated amp that I've ever heard within your price range (actually even twice your budget). The LFD's downside has always been it's power output of just over 60 Wpc. I think this is due to the fact that LFD's designs use just one pair of output devices per channel. I suspect that the use of only a pair of output devices is why LFD's sound so transparent and non-fatiguing as compared to other SS integrated designs. Since your Super V's don't require massive amount of wattage to reach amazing SPLs, the LFD could offer something really special sonically....IMHO, YMMV  :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2012, 10:58 pm »
In order to avoid making another mistake, perhaps it would help to know what mistake you made before - ?

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm »
 :D  amp/speaker mismatch and where i live now,, tube gear will not do the trick.. at the end of a power line,, dirty power.....
        the V's don't need much juice, so low, sweet wattage is in order.. :D   

HT cOz

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm »
I think those Dayens would rock with Super Vs.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

tomytoons

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm »
Lfd would be a good one.
How about Redgum?
Something by Exposure or Densen

jb26

« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2012, 11:54 pm »
If you're worried about the power supply, why not try a battery integrated?  Red wine, virtue and Dodd jump to mind.

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2012, 11:54 pm »
 :D  thanks all you guys.... i gotta say,, that LFD looks like a winner.. kinda stands out  .. 6 grand though .. i have always stood by ,you get what you pay for ......    :D   buy once,forget it...... :D

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2012, 11:55 pm »
 :D  and there is the flip side .. Good old DC.. RED WINE amp and pre here for sale  ????   :D

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2012, 12:52 am »
:D  and there is the flip side .. Good old DC.. RED WINE amp and pre here for sale  ????   :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110429.0

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:08 am »

I guess I needed to be specific on the LFD I was referring to?

- Used LFD Mk4 go for between $2600 and $2900. Used LFD Mk3 go for around $1700 to $2000 (when they are available as they don't last long at that price ;-)

- Right now there are  two Mk4 LFD on Audiogon for around $2600 to $2700. Here is one listed there:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-lfd-le-iv-signature-used-gene-rubin-audio-since-1979-2012-10-05-amplifiers-93003

Here is the review of the LFD MK3 by Sam Telling on the Mk3 (somewhere there is a more recent review of the MK4 too) both reviews are over the top  :thumb:

http://www.generubinaudio.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lfd.pdf

IMHO even the Mk3 betters other Solid State Integrated under $5K that I know  in terms of transparency and non-fatigue sonics. Perhaps though I have mis-read this poster's original inquiry "SS Please". As some of the recommendations for a good integrated here are tube? Hence, my recommendation of the LFD is if you are looking for a very special solid state integrated for your Super V's and falls between $2k and $3k used.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:20 am »
I personally would go with this. (Under 2K)

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=267&Itemid=229

Van Alstine's designs handles "dirty power" and low voltage swings.

PMAT

« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:24 am »
Hey boys isn't this the cheap n cheerful circle? I'd go with serviced vintage gear from the seventies. I bet those speakers with a 30 watt Marantz would sound sweet. $200 to $500 and beautiful. Just sayin

Quiet Earth

« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2012, 02:42 am »
In order to avoid making another mistake, perhaps it would help to know what mistake you made before - ?

:D  amp/speaker mismatch and where i live now,, tube gear will not do the trick.. at the end of a power line,, dirty power.....
        the V's don't need much juice, so low, sweet wattage is in order.. :D

I don't think you understood the question, err...  I don't think I understood the answer....  :lol:  What amplifier do you own now that is a mistake? What don't you like about it?

You say that where you live now tube gear won't work because you have dirty power. Why would a tube amplifier be worse off with dirty power than a SS amp? I think it would actually be better off. Usually, a nice low wattage tube amp has a better power supply with a tube rectifier and choke filter. It would be less power line dependent than a typical SS power supply.

Also, have you considered cleaning up your AC before buying another amp? This might be money better spent since it could improve your entire system now, plus you could still upgrade your amp down the road. Just a thought.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:00 am »
You say that where you live now tube gear won't work because you have dirty power. Why would a tube amplifier be worse off with dirty power than a SS amp? I think it would actually be better off. Usually, a nice low wattage tube amp has a better power supply with a tube rectifier and choke filter. It would be less power line dependent than a typical SS power supply.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

2bigears

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:19 am »
 :D  good points indeed QE..   I have a VAC Avatar Super and i am lighting off the last tube to the right.. that sounds like an amp problem.. i'm so lazy to send it 3000 miles and i don't have the box. i was just thinking of a simple solution of new, improved ????  :D  of course i could be wrong .......  like your financial advisor speaks as you walk out the door ... :D