Subwoofer help!

kalio12

Subwoofer help!
« on: 5 Jun 2012, 02:36 pm »
Hello guys, I'm new to the website and all this stuff (you can tell by my post count  :D). So i recently bought a pair of jbl 4312a for my house (they have yet to arrive). I listen to alot of house music (alot of bass) and while these speakers produce clear and beautiful sound, they do not produce alot of bass. I'm asking for opinions- what kind of subwoofer should i buy? powered or passive? I'm looking in the sub-$350 range, but any suggestions are welcome. Again, sorry for the weird phrasing and all- I'm very new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, the jbl's are powered by my marantz 2270 receiver.

fredgarvin

Re: Subwoofer help!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:32 pm »
We have a Bass circle try it there:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=198.0

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2012, 04:57 am »
You might try the Parts Express subs.  The BIC F-12 at $219 has some great reviews on several sites, and the good 'ol Dayton Audio 1000 and 1200 subs are C&C favorites.  Another good resource for lower priced subs is the Infinity store on eBay, they have some pretty good deals on pretty good subs.  The lower priced Impact series from Velodyne is at $339 on Amazon and might be a good option as well.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 08:35 am »
You might also check out a website called Audiogon.com . It's like ebay for audio gear. You can find a lot of really awesome deals there on all sorts of gear, and it's a great place to buy or sell.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 11:27 am »
Watch out for "toy" subs (those marketed with desktop/computer speakers, or mass marketed - big box stores).  Most of those don't go deep and the quality of bass is poor (flabby, one note, and/or lack definition). 

On the other hand, be careful of overloading a small room (rather hard to do if you buy quality and stay in your stated budget) with really deep bass.

At your budget, powered is the only way to go (passive would be OK if you were going with multiple subs - a recommended approach - as the cost of one multiple channel amplifier could be cheaper than using separate amps in each sub and would cut down on all those power cords).

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:14 am »

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2012, 05:18 pm »
My favorite budget subwoofer, and one that most people have never even heard of, is the Outlaw Audio M8. I have a pretty large apartment and just one of these little things is far more bass than I could ever use. My previous sub was an SVS PB13 Ultra, one of the best subwoofers on the market, so I'm used to some pretty potent bass. For the money you'd have a hard time doing much better than the M8, in my humble opinion.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2012, 12:24 am »

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2012, 12:41 am »
Plus 1 for the Outlaw Audio M8.  My brother has the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofer for his very large living room.  Very well build units from Outlaw.  Outlaw subs are  built as strong as Abrams  A2 tank.

toslink

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2012, 04:06 pm »
It's worth mentionng the Outlaw Audio subs were designed by Dr. Hsu of HSU Research.

bruson2

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2012, 05:05 pm »