HELP! Replacing mid Woofers in Norh's

KarlMarx

HELP! Replacing mid Woofers in Norh's
« on: 9 Jan 2012, 01:56 pm »
I bought a pair of Nohr speakers back in 1999 in Thailand.  I don't even remember the model number, but the speakers have 6.5" Vifa woofers and Vifa tweeters.  These speakers are awesome, but one of the woofers have blown.  I'm thinking of replacing the woofers with Peerless 830883 (I was looking at Ushers but they don't seem to produce 6.5" woofers).  Do I need to replace the tweeters as well?  If yes, any suggestion on what tweeters to pair with the Peerless 830883's? 

Sorry, but I don't know much about speakers, so am seeking your help.

Thanks.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: HELP! Replacing mid Woofers in Norh's
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle!

You will want to learn everything you can about your speakers before you change to a different woofer -cabinet volume, crossover characteristics, specifications of the existing woofer, etc.  All these factors determine which woofers you could consider.

Take a look at the Norh's site to see if you can identify your speakers

Www.Norh.com

I will offer a guess that you have the wood 7.0 speakers  with a scan-speak   7"  woofer?

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-classic-18w/8545k-7-mid-woofer-paper-cone-fiberglass-former/

KKM

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:24 pm »
You should also contact nOrh directly, they might have the same replacement driver. They usually respond fairly quickly.

KarlMarx

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2012, 03:38 pm »
Thanks!

@jqp--you were absolutely correct.  I checked the Nohr site and, based on the specs, believe mine is the wood 7.0.  Opened up the cabinet and confirmed that it's the scan-speak 7" speakers like you suspected!  Will order a replacement.  Have you had a good experience ordering from Madison Sound?

Thanks again . . .

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:44 pm »
I have not had experience with Madisound. I would do a search online to get a reality check on pricing. Also you could email the current nOrh company and see if you can get a quote from them.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2012, 07:14 pm »
  Have you had a good experience ordering from Madison Sound?

Madisound is a solid company. No worries there.