Primare's new Class D

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Primare's new Class D
« on: 17 Nov 2011, 06:54 pm »
Didn't hear the amp, but recently uncovered the following.  No business relations, just thought it might be of interest.  Moderator please can or move this as desired. 

The new Primare A34.2 stereo power amp debuts in the USA @ 2012 CES: $2700 MSRP USD, rated 150W @ 8-Ohms, estimate 290W @ 4-Ohms, balanced and unbalanced inputs. 

The A34.2 employs "Ultra Fast Power Device" (UFPD) Class-D architecture as per Primare's current I32 integrated.  THIS explains UFPD's alleged cures for Class D's perceived drawbacks. 

USA Primare distributor Sound Org (also Wilson Benesch speakers) said UFPD is 100% proprietary (no Hypex/ICE POWER) and sounds like Primare's class AB amps but improved in every way.  This is promising because Primare's AB amps are exceptional, with musical qualities of my YBA-designed Audio Refinement.   

God willing, at CES I'll hear the A34.2 powering Dali speakers (dist says a great match).

Personally I strongly disliked my prior two Class D amp auditions, Bel Canto on speakers designed by TAD's Anthony Jones and Sound Stream (sorry, unsure of this name) powering my own speakers, VMPS RM40 at that time. 

Before long it appears standard class A and AB amps will disappear by government regulation of power efficiency.  Certainly the case in Europe anyway.

I could not advertise our primeVibe guitar/violin seasoning device in the UK because it includes power supply pins for EU and USA but no UK pins, a 99c adapter sold at supermarkets.  Also, the EU requires a full 10-year warranty on audio goods sold there, at least those goods installed in a structure by the original contractor. 

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2011, 09:24 pm by James Romeyn »

srb

Re: Primare's new Class D
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm »
USA Primare distributor Sound Org (also Wilson Benesch speakers) said UFPD is 100% proprietary (no Hypex/ICE POWER) and sounds like Primare's class AB amps but improved in every way.  This is promising because Primare's AB amps are exceptional, with musical qualities of my YBA-designed Audio Refinement.   

There's always room for a new Class D design, which relatively is still in its formative years.  I am personally waiting for the debut of the DIY Hypex Ncore module

http://www.hypex.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89

and have been following a rather lengthy topic about it on www.diyaudio.com
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/190434-hypex-ncore.html

I've always liked Primare's equipment.  Maybe they have something truly innovative to take the "D" to the next level.

Steve

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2011, 09:49 pm »
What's ETA for the new Hypex modules? 

Estimated cost per channel?  What's left to buy/build?  Chassis, transformer, complete power supply, heat sink?

Someone whose ears I tend to trust said a particular, sometimes well received, low-cost commercial Hypex-based amp "drove him from the room". I had no particular affection for the Bel Canto and Sound Stream (or whatever was its name).  This may have less than zero bearing on the new Hypex.   

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 05:22 am by James Romeyn »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:19 am »

Someone whose ears I tend to trust said a particular, sometimes well received, low-cost commercial Hypex-based amp "drove him from the room". That's how I felt about the Bel Canto and Sound Stream (or whatever was its name).  This may have less than zero bearing on the new Hypex.   

Which Bel Canto amp was this? I've owned a few of them at different levels, class D and tripath, none of them seemed capable of driving me from the room.
Actually I am more interested in the new Primare offerings. I just sold a Primare A30.1 integrated. It was a very respectable amp but just lost its wow factor.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:28 am »
Which Bel Canto amp was this? I've owned a few of them at different levels, class D and tripath, none of them seemed capable of driving me from the room...

It was CES circa 2006, Pioneer was upstairs and directly below was TAD, both speakers Andrew Jones coax designs (obviously the TAD much more costly).  Upstairs the Bel Canto powered Pioneer were just not interesting, downstairs the admittedly mega-thousand buck Pass powered TAD Ref 1 made me cry listening to Boz Scaggs sing "My Funny Valentine" while playing his huge grand piano, recorded at his SF home.  Andrew was downstairs, one of the nicest and most gracious people you'll meet of his stature.     

Thanks for making me reconsider.  I corrected my earlier post, because indeed it did not make me leave the room.  It was just dry, boring, and un-interesting...obviously the speakers are quite different in spite of the same designer.